U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Unitarian Church shooting suspect 'hated gays, liberals' (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/unitarian-church-shooting-suspect-hated-gays-liberals-188427.html)

financeguy 07-28-2008 12:55 PM

Unitarian Church shooting suspect 'hated gays, liberals'

FOXNews.com - Hate Crime Investigation After Cops Say Church Shooting Suspect 'Hated' Gays, Liberals - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

U2democrat 07-28-2008 12:56 PM

:sigh:

anitram 07-28-2008 01:04 PM

Well when you have large portions of society that constantly demonize gays and liberals, then why are we surprised that some people buy into it and react in extreme ways?

BVS 07-28-2008 01:18 PM

^Yeah this doesn't suprise me all that much...

dazzledbylight 07-28-2008 06:52 PM

:mad::scream::mad:

damn people like that!

++Strength++ to all suffrering from this Atroccity!!!

I may really hate what the neocons have done to this country, but SHIT it dosen't mean I'm going to go around shooting them!!

And i was very upset about this even BEFORE i found out what the gunman said, and what kind of church it was.

anitram 07-29-2008 09:16 AM

The fella liked to read:

Quote:

Adkisson told Still that since "he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement that he would then target those that had voted them in to office."

Adkisson told officers he left the house unlocked for them because "he expected to be killed during the assault."

Inside the house, officers found "Liberalism is a Mental Health Disorder" by radio talk show host Michael Savage, "Let Freedom Ring" by talk show host Sean Hannity, and "The O'Reilly Factor," by television talk show host Bill O'Reilly.
Link.

neutral 07-29-2008 09:19 AM

:sigh:

2861U2 07-29-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5328035)
The fella liked to read:

Link.

Come on, I pray you're smarter than this. You're blaming the books he read? I own and have read two of those books, and they don't make me want to go out and kill people.

anitram 07-29-2008 09:31 AM

Did I say anything like that? You like to imagine what people are thinking.

I think this man was probably mentally ill, or at the very least chronically clinically depressed (and untreated). The books he read don't inspire people to "go out and kill" but I think they prey on the lowest common denominator in a lot of ways, and he probably relied on them to justify his feelings of being oppressed by the liberal "elites."

2861U2 07-29-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5328057)

I think this man was probably mentally ill, or at the very least chronically clinically depressed (and untreated).

No doubt he was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5328057)
The books he read don't inspire people to "go out and kill" but I think they prey on the lowest common denominator in a lot of ways, and he probably relied on them to justify his feelings of being oppressed by the liberal "elites."

I think even that is a stretch. As someone who has read some of the books mentioned, they focus mainly on what is good about America. Any attacks on the left are well thought out, and in the case of Hannity's book, mostly criticisms of the Clinton administration. I think bringing up what books assassins read when it's something as minuscule as Bill O'Reilly is a bad idea. I'm sure searching the homes of Gerald Ford's assassins and President Bush's assassins one would find far worse stuff than "Let Freedom Ring."

A stor 07-29-2008 10:05 AM

No matter what book, I've read. I would never want to kill anyone. I don't even own a gun.

anitram 07-29-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5328078)
As someone who has read some of the books mentioned, they focus mainly on what is good about America.

That may be your opinion. These people's opinions on gays do absolutely NOTHING to show me what's good about America, unless you think that bigotry is a characteristic one should be proud of.

I've also read excerpts of most of these and found them to be intolerant, and borderline hateful. My guess is that these guys (Savage, O'Reilly, Coulter, et al) are writing absurdities because they generate good business. But that was my point about the lowest common denominator - whereas a lot of people would read their crap and roll their eyes, there are also people who take what they say to heart or who think "see, I'm not the only one who thinks them gays are ruining the society!!" Feeding into people's fears and xenophobia should not be lauded.

For the record, I don't buy "leftist" books like Franken's or whoever's either, nor do I think they are productive or informative.

MrPryck2U 07-29-2008 11:20 AM

If one hates liberals, why the heck would one shoot up a church? There's none in there.

MissMoo 07-29-2008 12:09 PM

The sad thing is the guy was on food stamps a "liberal" program.

U2democrat 07-29-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPryck2U (Post 5328188)
If one hates liberals, why the heck would one shoot up a church? There's none in there.

You obviously are not familiar with Unitarians.

Unitarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are a VERY liberal group of Christians, to the left of mainline Protestants.