U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Just the Bang and the Clatter (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/coldplay-viva-la-vida-ongoing-discussion-187661.html)

cobl04 06-25-2008 04:19 AM

Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion
 
There was no new thread around, and it'd been two hours since the last reply so here ya go.

I'm really coming around to it now... Life in Technicolour is a great opener, and the best part is that Chris Martin doesn't wreck it! :love: Cemeteries of London then comes in and you'll see my point, I hate the opening 30 seconds or so of that song.

42 hmm the jury's still out on that for me, I don't think it's all that awesome/revolutionary as I've been reading. Lost is pretty great, second Zoots' sentiment on that is how you use claps in a song. Lovers in Japan's very U2ey, but I love it, Reign of Love not as much.

Yes is a bit meh, Chinese Sleep Chant might be favourite bit of the whole album, Viva La Vida is definitely overrated I think, it sounds like its getting somewhere but never quite does... and it will be everywhere soon.

Violet Hill, again for me pretty meh, though it gets better. And then you have Strawberry Swing, which I think might be favourite song, it's gorgeous, I love it. Great lyrics and vocals, percussion.. and it leads into Death and All His Friends, which again gets better as it goes along, I'm a fan of the two little refrains at the end there, but I'd prefer there be one or two more, and I could do without The Escapist I think.

Overall, not bad at all!

Continuamo.

phanan 06-25-2008 07:37 AM

It didn't take long to get through another thread. Love 'em or hate 'em, they sure do provoke discussion.

And at least people have come to their senses this time. Back in 2005, every other thread started was about Coldplay. Here's to consolidation.

cobl04 06-25-2008 07:48 AM

They're really not that bad; I don't understand all the hate. If the music sounds good to me, then it's a good song. :shrug:

Though I did read review of this album and at the end the reviewer said "Coldplay will never grow hairs on their chest" and I had a bit of a ripsnort.

I think sometimes even the U2 comparisons are a stretch. This forum has a tendency to reeeeeeally over analyse and nitpick sometimes.

elevated_u2_fan 06-25-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COBL_04 (Post 5243194)
This forum has a tendency to reeeeeeally over analyse and nitpick sometimes.

this forum? Really? NOOOO! No way this forum could be guilty of that! You must be thinking of some other forum...

LemonMelon 06-25-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COBL_04 (Post 5243194)
Though I did read review of this album and at the end the reviewer said "Coldplay will never grow hairs on their chest" and I had a bit of a ripsnort.

Hey, they're a good band, but no one ever said the Coldplay jokes weren't funny.

gareth brown 06-25-2008 08:31 PM

Viva La Vida is Coldplay's worst song probably...i can't believe the praise that's being heaped on it. Nor can I believe it's fucking number 1 over here...my girlfriend detests coldplay yet THIS song shows up and she loves it. There's never been a more crushing irony. It's just fucking shite lyrics and the song is overproduced to breaking point and don't get me fucking STARTED on those church bells and TIMPANI DRUMS.....URGH!!!!!!!!! I FUCKING HATE IT. rest of the album's great...also Violet Hill is pretty dull compared to the rest of it...but viva la vida?!?!? AARRRRRGH!!! SO CRAP..

phanan 06-25-2008 08:32 PM

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Rob33 06-25-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gareth brown (Post 5244470)
Viva La Vida is Coldplay's worst song probably...i can't believe the praise that's being heaped on it. Nor can I believe it's fucking number 1 over here...my girlfriend detests coldplay yet THIS song shows up and she loves it. There's never been a more crushing irony. It's just fucking shite lyrics and the song is overproduced to breaking point and don't get me fucking STARTED on those church bells and TIMPANI DRUMS.....URGH!!!!!!!!! I FUCKING HATE IT. rest of the album's great...also Violet Hill is pretty dull compared to the rest of it...but viva la vida?!?!? AARRRRRGH!!! SO CRAP..

:up: that's a pretty accurate assessment of the title track, I agree

cobl04 06-26-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob33 (Post 5244783)
:up: that's a pretty accurate assessment of the title track, I agree

:shocked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan (Post 5243265)
this forum? Really? NOOOO! No way this forum could be guilty of that! You must be thinking of some other forum...

A bit of an obvious statement wasn't it :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonMelon (Post 5243659)
Hey, they're a good band, but no one ever said the Coldplay jokes weren't funny.

I'll always enjoy the jokes. But it is true... I don't hear a SBS or a Bullet coming from them...

A_Wanderer 06-26-2008 12:24 AM

Don't like it, having had one listen all the way through I pin it at 2/5, but I went back to a Rush of Blood to the Head and it still stands out well.

ladywithspinninghead 06-26-2008 12:40 AM

Did anyone catch them on the Daily show? Like Gareth above, I don't like Viva La Vida nor Violet Hill so was pleasantly happy to see them perform 42 and Lost.

Not sure why Chris Martin bothers so many people - he's goofy (which I personally like about him) but harmless...

cobl04 06-26-2008 12:42 AM

Personally I just reckon he's a cockhead. I just don't like him, a fair bit of it stems from the interview he did with Denton a few years back.

LemonMelon 06-26-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COBL_04 (Post 5245024)
Personally I just reckon he's a cockhead. I just don't like him, a fair bit of it stems from the interview he did with Denton a few years back.

For me, it's because of the newfound moody douchiness he's been showing lately, particularly in that BBC interview he did a couple weeks ago where he just walked out for no reason.

cobl04 06-26-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonMelon (Post 5245041)
For me, it's because of the newfound moody douchiness he's been showing lately, particularly in that BBC interview he did a couple weeks ago where he just walked out for no reason.

Yes, all of a sudden he's taking on this 'rockstar' thing it seems, and it's all contrived.

Man did I hate him when I heard that.

LemonMelon 06-26-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COBL_04 (Post 5245148)
Yes, all of a sudden he's taking on this 'rockstar' thing it seems, and it's all contrived.

Man did I hate him when I heard that.

I don't want him to continue this nonsense. It's making it more difficult to enjoy Viva La Vida.

PS: I burn him repeatedly for his recent bullshit in the upcoming Coldplay cartoon. And I do mean repeatedly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com