U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/review-the-last-movie-you-viewed-no-lists-iv-184034.html)

LemonMelon 02-09-2008 12:42 AM

Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV
 
Watched the Dukes Of Hazzard Movie earlier. It sucked ass.

Carry on.

coolian2 02-09-2008 01:23 AM

Joe Vs the Volcano

I slept.

monkeyskin 02-09-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by anitram
U2 3D. 20/10.

So awesome. I wanted to reach out and touch them all.

[quote[]Originally posted by lazarus
I believe this was monkeyskin's exact review of The Mighty Ducks![/quote]


I believe that was also your review of The Goonies.

http://www.piratemerch.com/images/sloth_loves_chunk.jpg

If you shout... 02-09-2008 09:35 AM

Watched that Juno movie, yesterday. Fucking terrible, I must say. I thought that the performances were all more or less strong (though hardly, I should add, remarkable), but holy fucking shit was the screenplay ever awful. It trampled all over itself with conflicting, unmotivated (and structurally disallowed) narratives, and felt unbelievably like something written in a writer's workshop. Really, really, really terrible.

Some good tunes, though. Well, more like one good tune, I guess--that'd be "I'm Sticking With You," by the greatest band in the history of the universe...The Velvet Underground! And, like I said, I thought that most of the actors did what little they could with such a handcuffing script pretty well. Her boyfriend dude was a pretty cute kid.

If you shout... 02-09-2008 09:36 AM

Well, I have no idea why this posted, but here I am with nothing else to say and seemingly no way out...! Bah! Why can't I "Page Back" my way out of this?

lazarus 02-09-2008 09:57 AM

I had some time to kill yesterday while I was stranded as my car was being repaired, so I went to see National Treasure: Book of Secrets. I never saw the first one, so I can't really make that comparison, but I was pretty entertained. Considering all the shit that winds up in theaters, a film that may interest younger (or older) people in history can't be a totally bad thing. Some of the puzzles were pretty fun, even if they appear to be solved too quickly at times. Cage is a Hollywood Whore, but for some reason never looks like he's slumming. He probably has fun doing these, and is never unengaging. I don't know how this film managed to get 3 Academy Award winners in one film (plus perrenial nominee Ed Harris), but all of them appeared to be giving it their full attention, especially legends Helen Mirren and Jon Voight, who had some nice scenes together. Bruce Greenwood (the "thin man" reporter in I'm Not There) does a great job as the President of the United States.

The jokes fell flat some of the time, slapstick doesn't always work, but I laughed out loud at some of them. There's also a car chase that really seems unnecessary and just there to give the masses what the studio thinks they want, a break from the exposition. While the whole thing is obviously derivative of Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, and The DaVinci Code (which I still haven't seen), it keeps you guessing and interested, and I can't fault it as entertainment.

BonoIsMyMuse 02-09-2008 11:37 AM

I watched Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride, a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson, the other day. I'd been looking forward to seeing it, but it was surprisingly dry. There was a formal, matter-of-fact tone and structure to it that I really felt like went against what Thompson did in his life and writing. I fell asleep on the couch about 2/3 of the way through it, and I didn't feel the need to go back and watch what I'd missed.

I have no shame in admitting I'll be watching The Simpsons Movie tonight. I don't have extremely high expectations for it, but hopefully it will be fun. An hour and 27 minutes of just about mindless humor :drool:

Lancemc 02-09-2008 05:24 PM

As Tears Go By

For the first 25 minutes here I thought I was in trouble. After that, it was pure WKW through and through. It seems fairly obvious that he didn't have nearly as most creative control as he did throughout the rest of his career, but for a debut, this is rock solid. The soundtrack is pretty terrible, but it's an 80's flick...so I typically just expect such. It also suffers from being a pre-Chris Doyle film, and it's remarkably noticeable given the fact that every other WKW film till My Blueberry Nights has been filmed by him. Just the same, WKW has a natural eye for cinema, and certain scenes here are just gorgeous. It's past-paced, the characters are likable, the action is cathartic, and the story is always just different enough that it never feels stale. Perhaps not a great film, but it's vintage Wong Kar-Wai and I love it.

If you shout... 02-09-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lancemc
As Tears Go By

For the first 25 minutes here I thought I was in trouble. After that, it was pure WKW through and through. It seems fairly obvious that he didn't have nearly as most creative control as he did throughout the rest of his career, but for a debut, this is rock solid. The soundtrack is pretty terrible, but it's an 80's flick...so I typically just expect such. It also suffers from being a pre-Chris Doyle film, and it's remarkably noticeable given the fact that every other WKW film till My Blueberry Nights has been filmed by him. Just the same, WKW has a natural eye for cinema, and certain scenes here are just gorgeous. It's past-paced, the characters are likable, the action is cathartic, and the story is always just different enough that it never feels stale. Perhaps not a great film, but it's vintage Wong Kar-Wai and I love it.

You are a far more forgiving viewer of this film than I was, when I saw it, many moons ago. The only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack! :wink: It's interesting, though, to see his ambience in an embryonic stage.

Lancemc 02-09-2008 05:33 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly nowhere near as good as Days of Being Wild or even Fallen Angels or something.

I didn't score it here, but if I did it would probably be like a 6.5 or a 7. The contrasting gangster plot and bizarre incestual romance combined with Wong's unique filmmaking methods elevated this above what should have been a pretty benign action flick. Andy Lau and Maggie Cheung are still fantastic here too even as young actors. I guess I appreciate it more as an artifact for analysis of what would come to evolve from this embryo as you put it, than as a regular Hong Kong gangster flick.

lazarus 02-09-2008 08:44 PM

a 6.5 or a 7?! On the Lance scale that's like a Rob Schneider comedy!

No spoken words 02-09-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by If you shout...


You are a far more forgiving viewer of this film than I was, when I saw it, many moons ago. The only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack! :wink: It's interesting, though, to see his ambience in an embryonic stage.

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you actually like? Every post of yours is a criticism of someone else liking something, be it TV, music, film. You are so persistently negative that I wonder if you actually ever derive pleasure from anything.

RedRocksU2 02-09-2008 08:57 PM

How To Eat Fried Worms

Great! nuff said. :D

Dalton 02-09-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by No spoken words


Out of sheer curiosity, what do you actually like? Every post of yours is a criticism of someone else liking something, be it TV, music, film. You are so persistently negative that I wonder if you actually ever derive pleasure from anything.


Some people like to pick things apart ... like vultures.

corianderstem 02-09-2008 09:01 PM

I loved that book when I was in grade school. :heart:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com