U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Just the Bang and the Clatter (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   The Decemberists (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/the-decemberists-184024.html)

thetitans2k 02-08-2008 06:42 PM

The Decemberists

Are they any good? does any one here like them? What would you recomend I listen to of theres?

GibsonGirl 02-08-2008 07:30 PM

I only have one album - The Crane Wife. And I love it!

Lancemc 02-08-2008 07:41 PM

No, they are horrible. Nobody likes them.

The Crane Wife is muy bueno

No spoken words 02-08-2008 07:52 PM

I like them a lot. I like songwriters that are story tellers.

SeattleVertigo 02-08-2008 08:21 PM

Oooh oooh -- Yankee Bayonet off of The Crane Wife is a great tune.

impy13 02-08-2008 09:03 PM

Start with Her Majesty. I did and I've been in love with the group ever since.

All of their albums are extremely solid. Crane Wife was my favorite album of 2006. If I had to rank them:

Her Majesty
The Crane Wife
Castaways & Cutouts
Picaresque

But seriously, they're all great.

I'm seeing Colin Meloy solo in April. http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6...lephantin7.gif

anitram 02-08-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I only have one album - The Crane Wife. And I love it!
Me too. Some fantastic tunes on there. :up:

If you shout... 02-08-2008 09:38 PM

I never got this band, in spite of they fact that, on paper, they do everything that I like most about contemporary music. I dunno. I really, really, really think that they suck.

Just my two cents. I've only listened to Her Majesty and The Crane Wife, so I'm no authority. Not my cup of tea.

You want storytelling, go to the first two Fiery Furnaces records and, of course, The Hold Steady. Separation Sunday reduces me to tears, three years later. Best rock narrative I've ever heard.

No spoken words 02-08-2008 10:06 PM

I heard the Hold Steady at Lollapalooza, after being forced to listen to one of their records a few days before. Least inspiring live performance I'd seen in ages.

I'm Ready 02-08-2008 10:19 PM

I like them a lot

Picaresque or the Crane Wife are great starting points

u2popmofo 02-09-2008 09:54 AM

The Crane Wife is their worst album, easily. (and that's saying something, as it's quite enjoyable as well)

Start from the beginning and go to the end. The first two records are probably the ones that have lasted the longest for me personally ('Castaways and Cutouts', 'Her Majesty'). All of them are extremely solid and enjoyable though, even their EP's are good and contain some of my favorite songs of theirs (5 Songs, Billy Liar, The Tain). Hell, even the Tarkio and solo Meloy stuff is good (but I'd only get into those after getting all the albums).

Great band, great albums, great rarities, great live. Back in the old days, this forum was a pants crapping fest over the first two or three albums. It was great. (EP, Skeek, Digi, HOS, where have you gone?)

zoney! 02-09-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by u2popmofo
The Crane Wife is their worst album, easily. (and that's saying something, as it's quite enjoyable as well)

Agreed!

I am a Huge fan of Picaresque

U2inUtah 02-10-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by u2popmofo
Back in the old days, this forum was a pants crapping fest... It was great.
DAng, that sounds fun, I'm sad I missed out on that.

As for the Decemberists, Crane Wife is good, haven't heard much of the others.

They also have some cool R.E.M. covers they did that you can find on Youtube.

barlowdog 02-10-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by No spoken words
I heard the Hold Steady at Lollapalooza, after being forced to listen to one of their records a few days before. Least inspiring live performance I'd seen in ages.
Sorry, I know this is a Decemberists thread, but I have to take issue with this. Saw The Hold Steady twice last year and they awed me both times (and being the crabby old guy that I am, I'm not easily awed). They ROCK!!! And seeing them live is a lot of fun. I think Craig Finn is a superb frontman and I don't believe there's a band that does the classic rock thing better these days. Please give them another chance.

The Decemberists? I like some of their stuff, but that's about it. Can take it or leave it. Did enjoy The Crane Wife, though.

If you shout... 02-10-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by barlowdog

Sorry, I know this is a Decemberists thread, but I have to take issue with this. Saw The Hold Steady twice last year and they awed me both times (and being the crabby old guy that I am, I'm not easily awed). They ROCK!!! And seeing them live is a lot of fun. I think Craig Finn is a superb frontman and I don't believe there's a band that does the classic rock thing better these days. Please give them another chance.

Yes, they are the best band in the world by a disgusting margin.