U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Nobel Peace Prize (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/nobel-peace-prize-180709.html)

Varitek 10-11-2007 12:03 PM

Nobel Peace Prize

It's announced tomorrow, 11am CET.

I couldn't find a list of finalists on the website, though I didn't look that hard, but I know Bono is allegedly still on there (not gonna happen). Al Gore is on there and there's been that speculation that he's holding off running until after the announcement so it won't affect his chances - apparently the Nobel committee might be looking to award someone for anti-global warming work this year. Part of this speculation is just that the draft Gore people really want him to win because they think that will compel him to run.

Anybody know who else is on the list? Any speculation as to who might win, or whether it will be global warming or not?

Irvine511 10-11-2007 12:37 PM

word on the street is that it looks good for Gore.

martha 10-11-2007 01:36 PM

The Nobel Committee doesn't acknowledge or release a list of nominees or "finalists."

verte76 10-11-2007 05:09 PM

Gore would be a worthy recipient, that's for sure.

A_Wanderer 10-11-2007 05:31 PM

Yes, right up there alongside the likes of Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger.

anitram 10-11-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yes, right up there alongside the likes of Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger.
Absurd.

A_Wanderer 10-11-2007 05:59 PM

Like speech typed words can lack subtlety when used improperly, it was more of a point on the award itself and the politics behind the selections and is inconsequential to Gore.

deep 10-11-2007 06:05 PM

usually when you get to be 88 years old the one remaining thing on your to do list is:

die :shrug:

http://ap.google.com/media/ALeqM5hzM...Wgw2xsQ?size=s

Quote:

Lessing Not Impressed by Nobel Prize

By RAPHAEL G. SATTER – 1 hour ago

LONDON (AP) — Doris Lessing pulled up in a black cab where a media horde was waiting Thursday in front of her leafy north London home. Reporters opened the door and told her she had won the Nobel Prize for literature, to which she responded: "Oh Christ! ... I couldn't care less."

Lessing later said she thought the cameras were there to film a television program. Vegetables peeked out from blue plastic bags she carried out of the cab.

"This has been going on for 30 years," she said, as reporters helped her with the bags.

"I've won all the prizes in Europe, every bloody one, so I'm delighted to win them all, the whole lot, OK?" Lessing said, making her way through the crowd. "It's a royal flush."

"I'm sure you'd like some uplifting remarks," she added with a smile.

Lessing, who turns 88 this month, is the oldest winner of the literature prize. Although she is widely celebrated for "The Golden Notebook" and other works, she has received little attention in recent years and has been criticized as strident and eccentric.

Asked repeatedly if she was excited about the award, she held court from her doorstep and noted she had been in the running for the Nobel for decades.

"I can't say I'm overwhelmed with surprise," Lessing said. "I'm 88 years old and they can't give the Nobel to someone who's dead, so I think they were probably thinking they'd probably better give it to me now before I've popped off."

Surrounded by members of the international media in her flower-packed garden, Lessing was dismissive of the Nobel — calling the award process graceless and saying the prize "doesn't mean anything artistically."

She acknowledged the $1.5 million cash award was a lot of money, but still seemed less than thrilled.

"I'm already thinking about all the people who are going to send me begging letters — I can see them lining up now," she said. The phone in her house, audible from the street, rang continuously.

deep 10-11-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

She acknowledged the $1.5 million cash award was a lot of money, but still seemed less than thrilled.

"I'm already thinking about all the people who are going to send me begging letters
perhaps she should leave her phone off the hook
and take a nice long holiday

anitram 10-11-2007 06:08 PM

She sounds hilarious! Love it!

Varitek 10-11-2007 06:51 PM

She sounds kind of like Bono on South Park. "I've won all the damn prizes in Europe." :ohmy:

sulawesigirl4 10-11-2007 09:02 PM

lmao, that's awesome! I remember reading some of her short stories in literature class. Didn't know she was still alive. :ohmy:

deep 10-11-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Didn't know she was still alive. :ohmy:
she still has one more thing on her
to do list:wink:

indra 10-12-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

"I can't say I'm overwhelmed with surprise," Lessing said. "I'm 88 years old and they can't give the Nobel to someone who's dead, so I think they were probably thinking they'd probably better give it to me now before I've popped off."
I love it! :heart:

last unicorn 10-12-2007 05:19 AM

This just in:

Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I'm surprised. Not.

I think this is the first time in years that a favourite is actually getting the price.