U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Heated Confrontation? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/heated-confrontation-173830.html)

Justin24 03-08-2007 02:31 PM

Heated Confrontation?

Does the person who created an Iraq war memorial by putting crosses with the names of dead soldier have a right to put the names with out the persmission of the family?

http://www.ktvu.com/video/11203904/index.html?taf=fran

watch the video and then give your answer.

A_Wanderer 03-08-2007 02:35 PM

Of course they do.

Justin24 03-08-2007 02:39 PM

But the people who put up the memorial should have asked if they could use their sons name.

LyricalDrug 03-08-2007 02:43 PM

As far as I know, non-covert U.S. soldiers are government employees, and their identities are public information. As a matter of law, sure they have the right.

As a matter of manners / etiquette, that can be debated forever.

:shrug:

BVS 03-08-2007 02:43 PM

There aren't copyrights on names. The family has a right to be upset, but that's about it.

BVS 03-08-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Justin24
But the people who put up the memorial should have asked if they could use their sons name.
You asked if they have a right. Not if they should have asked.

coemgen 03-08-2007 03:04 PM

LyricalDrug said it best. They totally have a right to use the name. It's public information.

verte76 03-08-2007 03:47 PM

They have the right to use the name, that's public knowledge.

Justin24 03-08-2007 04:04 PM

I don't know, I agree with the parent if they don't want their son's name on the cross on the hill next to a freeway, they should abide by what they are asking.

BVS 03-08-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I agree with the parent if they don't want their son's name on the cross on the hill next to a freeway, they should abide by what they are asking.
On what grounds?

Strictly manners? What about freedom of speech?

Justin24 03-08-2007 04:12 PM

If the parents do not want their sons name on the cross then they should remove it in respect to the parent's. Of course there is freedom of speech but like I said if the parents don't want the name on the cross, then remove it.

BVS 03-08-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

If the parents do not want their sons name on the cross then they should remove it in respect to the parent's. Of course there is freedom of speech but like I said if the parents don't want the name on the cross, then remove it.
For someone who brings up freedom of speech all the time, I'm suprised by your view.

Is your stance on the war playing a part in your decision?

Justin24 03-08-2007 04:20 PM

Why are you suprised? If I were a parent who's son or daughter died in a war and they did something like this for a political ploy I would be so angry and asked that my son or daughters name be removed. They have every right to remove the name from the cross and demand that the name does not go back up.

This has nothing to do with my view on the war.

BVS 03-08-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Why are you suprised? If I were a parent who's son or daughter died in a war and they did something like this for a political ploy I would be so angry and asked that my son or daughters name be removed. They have every right to remove the name from the cross and demand that the name does not go back up.

No they don't have that right. You are confusing your rights with your wants.

And I'm suprised because you bring up freedom of speech in almost every other thread. Why is freedom of speech tossed to the wind in this case?

Justin24 03-08-2007 04:33 PM

So what if someone made a wall with all rape victims and how this needs to stop, is that freedom of speech?

My personal belife is if the parents do not want their sons name on their they should remove it. Why is that hard for some to understand?