U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/reluctant-partners-of-obsessed-u2-fans-162329.html)

shika 07-21-2006 05:33 AM

Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Does anyone else have a partner that really just ISN'T into U2? :madwife: My b/f, bless him, just does not like them at all, in fact, he thinks Bono is the biggest wanker to ever walk the earth (it's the glasses that do it, Bono, TAKE THEM OFF!) and he does not understand how or why I feel the need, the compulsion, the yearning, to see them live as many times as I can in my lifetime. (:scratch: - hmm, sometimes, neither do I!) I am trying to get him to come to a show with me in Sydney, but he is reluctant (I'd be better off leaving him at home, but I know he'd have a great time once he was there.)

Anyway, just wondering who else out there has this situation in their home and what they do about it?

An Cat Gav 07-21-2006 05:49 AM

Me too, my wife absolutely hates them!
I always said that my ideal woman would have to be a U2 fan, turns out that wasn';t the case:-)
My parents are Irish and really hate Bono in particular, so you can imagine the arguments I had with them as I played u2 24/7!!
I feel exactly like U2, they are everything to me!!:-)))
Most of my friends hate U2 and particuarly Bono too!!
If you're ever in London, and U2 happen to be playing, get in touch, we can go see them and ourpartners can bitch about our beloved B-man!

shika 07-21-2006 05:50 AM

^ Ha ha!! I shall do just that. Glad to hear that marriages can survive this, though!

An Cat Gav 07-21-2006 06:18 AM

It's only been a year:-)
she's learnt that when she married me that Bono was part of the package!!

bono_man2002 07-21-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by An Cat Gav
It's only been a year:-)
she's learnt that when she married me that Bono was part of the package!!

:lmao:

Galeongirl 07-21-2006 06:42 AM

everybody around me hate U2 and mostly Bono for the sole reason I love them...
I don't know why, but people always think it's funny to bash things others love.... :shrug: I just tend to ignore them....

shika 07-21-2006 06:46 AM

^ Yeh, my b/f tends to taunt me with comments he thinks will rile me up. I ignore it as well, but it's sad when the person you love more than anyone in the world (yeh, even more than Bono!) doesn't share your passion. It can be lonely... :sad:!

Nuala 07-21-2006 08:36 AM

My husband of 14 years does like U2 but he doesn't understands how I can be so obsessed with them and Bono. He teases me a lot but in general is really good about it. One part he really doesn't understand is why I have always loved them but just in the last couple years become obsessed with them! I tried to explain to him that music means different things to you at different times in your life and that while I have always loved them that right now their music just speaks to me like never before. As for my family they just think it is funny how much I love Bono and my best friend says "you have an Irishman at home.. why do you like Bono!!!??" :laugh:

fly so high! 07-21-2006 08:46 AM

My hubby can take U2 or leave them....and my friends think i'm weird that i like U2 so much.....but I DON'T CARE:tongue:

Bonochick 07-21-2006 09:34 AM

My boyfriend likes them all right but isn't a fan like I am. He is pretty considerate about it though...like if he hears some news about them, he will tell me about it.

East Bay Fan 07-21-2006 12:59 PM

A mutual love and respect for U2 is one of the reasons that my wife and I connected when we first met. In a way U2 brought us closer together.

phillyfan26 07-21-2006 01:00 PM

No one else in my family likes U2. None of my friends like them. And if I actually had a girlfriend, you can bet she wouldn't like them either.

doctorwho 07-21-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fly so high!
My hubby can take U2 or leave them....and my friends think i'm weird that i like U2 so much.....but I DON'T CARE:tongue:
I always find it odd that some can tease us about U2 or think we are odd for caring for U2 so much - but that they don't see this same obsession within themselves, just for a different group (or artist or actor or sports team or even another person). We are all obsessed about something.

As such, the people I associate with accept my love for U2. I openly admit that I'm a "freakazoid" but I try not to bring up U2 in conversation that much, other than to say I enjoy a new song or there's a tour coming, etc. Also, the people I associate with accept that they were - at one time or another - freakazoids themselves about another band. These tend to be the most stable and happy friendships. :)

Bono's Betty 07-21-2006 02:32 PM

My hubby likes a few songs, and has come to a few of their concerts with me but he also likes to call Bono Boner to get me going. :rolleyes: he is def not a freak about them like me.

He was o.k. with me changing the date of our honeymoon so we could see them in Vegas, so maybe he is a closet junkie? :giggle:

BEAL 07-21-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by doctorwho

I'm a "freakazoid"

So True.

redkat 07-21-2006 02:47 PM

Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Quote:

Originally posted by shika
I am trying to get him to come to a show with me in Sydney, but he is reluctant (I'd be better off leaving him at home, but I know he'd have a great time once he was there.)

Anyway, just wondering who else out there has this situation in their home and what they do about it?

Just my opinion but I'd leave him at home. Nothing worse than bringing someone to something that you absolutely love only to have them yawning or otherwise disinterested.

It can cause serious resentment :mad: Go with someone that WILL enjoy it and make your experience better.

Bono's Betty 07-21-2006 02:56 PM

^ :yes:

adrball 07-21-2006 03:17 PM

My wife actually really like some of U2s stuff when we married. With me listening to them as often as I do, this became just tolerance. Now she really hates them....to the point where she said "if you want to go half the way round the world to see them, then GO, BUT ON YOUR OWN!"

Greenlight 07-21-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Quote:

Originally posted by redkat

Just my opinion but I'd leave him at home. Nothing worse than bringing someone to something that you absolutely love only to have them yawning or otherwise disinterested.

I agree. I remember at Twickenham last year there was a couple sitting in front of us. He obviously didn't want to be there and sat down the whole time with his arms folded, whilst his wife/girlfriend was up dancing and going wild from the start. They then appeared to have an argument before the encore -he stormed out and she had to follow him.
My husband (then boyfriend) actually introduced me to U2 back in the early 80s. They're still his favourite band but he's not as obsessed as I am. He says for instance he's too old now to get standing tickets whilst I'd love to have another chance to get up close.

indra 07-21-2006 03:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Quote:

Originally posted by Greenlight

I agree. I remember at Twickenham last year there was a couple sitting in front of us. He obviously didn't want to be there and sat down the whole time with his arms folded, whilst his wife/girlfriend was up dancing and going wild from the start. They then appeared to have an argument before the encore -he stormed out and she had to follow him.

This is the reason why the person who wants to be at the concert needs to keep the keys to the car! Then the other person can leave the venue and go do something else, but can't be a twit and make the other person leave. :yes: