U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Promenade Appreciation Thread (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/promenade-appreciation-thread-161997.html)

BANZAI 07-13-2006 05:07 PM

Promenade Appreciation Thread

Yeah I know...ANOTHER appreciation thread. But I never hear people talk about this beautiful and atmospheric song that captures the whole atmosphere of The Unforgettable Fire.

Terrific song!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

LemonMelon 07-13-2006 05:09 PM

I appreciate it. :up: It's absolutely gorgeous! :heart:

GibsonGirl 07-13-2006 06:08 PM

Promenade is a fantastic song. :up:

Up through the spiral staircase to the higher ground. :drool:

JCOSTER 07-13-2006 06:24 PM

Hearing this on my headphones drifting off to sleep is heavenly.
Once I had my headphones on and after listening in my sleep for awhile Promonade came on and I woke up like Whoa! a little disoriented too!

Axver 07-13-2006 06:25 PM

This is such a fantastic song, one of the best off U2's greatest album. :drool:

annie_vox 07-13-2006 06:27 PM

Gorgeous song! So sweet... As somebody said, it's great to hear it at night on the headphones... as the whole album;)

U2Man 07-13-2006 06:28 PM

:heart:

shart1780 07-13-2006 06:30 PM

Yeah this song reminds me of vacations I went on with my family by the ocean (not sure why), must just be the atmosphere it conveys.

I love singing this song too.

GibsonGirl 07-13-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shart1780

Same! It's just such a natural-sounding, carefree kind of melody. Nothing forced about it at all. Great to sing along to. It's a real gem of a song, even with the clunky lyrics at the very end. :up:

Salome 07-13-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Axver
This is such a fantastic song, one of the best off U2's greatest album. :drool:
:up:

Earnie Shavers 07-13-2006 07:18 PM

Fantastic song. One of my favourites.

Hoodlem 07-13-2006 07:25 PM

definition of "hidden gem" = Promenade

Aygo 07-13-2006 07:33 PM

It's a great tune...! Very original and inspired... It's bad that many people don't like it...

cobl04 07-14-2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shart1780

I can't sing very well, but I do it anyway. I don't think you can appreciate music as mcuh unless you sing along. :wink:

The problem I had with this song was that it was too short, and not quite as stimulating as Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8. But that said, it is a brilliant little number, and one of the best two and a half minute songs I have ever heard. The vocals are just :drool:

An Cat Gav 07-14-2006 03:21 AM

Possibly U2's most beautiful song.
One of my all time faves!!

Bonochick 07-14-2006 09:11 AM

Lovely song. Great to get lost in.

gman 07-14-2006 10:10 AM

For me, this song states what u2 was all about. It takes you somewhere. You drift off to a more peaceful place. i listened to it last night and it brought back so many memories. I honestly can say that there is not many, if any, songs latterly that U2 has done that captured a moment like promenade did for me. Maybe with time my opinion will change regarding the more recent records

YBORCITY 07-14-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gman
For me, this song states what u2 was all about. It takes you somewhere. You drift off to a more peaceful place. i listened to it last night and it brought back so many memories. I honestly can say that there is not many, if any, songs latterly that U2 has done that captured a moment like promenade did for me. Maybe with time my opinion will change regarding the more recent records
Great post and I couldn't have said it better myself about this gem that forever will be in my top ten U2 songs - I had it played at my wedding reception :reject:

If someone asks me if I could embody one or maybe two U2 songs that would at least for me sum up thier sound it would be Promenade and Bad.

LMP 07-14-2006 11:44 AM

Amazing song :up:

I wish this song was snippeted in Bad or something.

Like an Original -> Promenade -> Bad
or All I Want is You -> Promenade - > Bad combination.

Then again, the guys haven't returned my calls.

:grumpy:

GibsonGirl 07-14-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gman
Well said. :up:

Promenade is beautiful. Nowhere in that song do you hear a band trying to be the biggest band on earth, or a band trying to capture a certain age demographic. All you hear is a band caught up in one magical moment. It sounds so free and spontaneous, which is something I don't think U2 have managed for a long time.