U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   M.I.A (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/m-i-a-141703.html)

beau2ifulday 10-02-2005 02:35 PM

M.I.A

Anyone like her?
For those of you who haven't heard of her, she's an MC of sorts - MCing/dance. Her music is a bit of an acquired taste, I guess, but she's pretty popular in the underground scene (or something like that. I am not qualified to talk about the underground scene) and has recently started to break through into mainstream. Her debut album on a major label, Arular, was released recently. I understand she played some festival in the US (it may have been Coachella...) and was quite well received.

corianderstem 10-02-2005 02:59 PM

Yes! I didn't think her music was my speed, but based on all the hype, I gave it a go and absolutely love the CD.

lmjhitman 10-02-2005 03:26 PM

i decided to give this a listen based on heartland girl's recommendation a while ago, and it's quite good. not sure about her being underground (i don't even know what that means, anyway). m.i.a. got a pretty good review from pitchfork and i think she's been pretty popular ever since.

10 dollar is a great track :up:

what can i get for 10 dollar? anyting you waaaaant

Calluna 10-02-2005 03:55 PM

I got to hear most of the songs off the album a few months back when jjj featured it. It's very good. Obvious Missy Elliot influences (which is not a bad thing), upbeat and danceable.

If you shout... 03-05-2006 03:42 PM

This is pretty behind-the-times, so I wanted to add it to this pre-existing thread rather than junkin' the place up with another one which'll probably get, like, a reply.

But is anybody else as disturbed as I am by the use of "Galang" in a Honda commercial, or whatever it is? I mean, seriously...fucked up. Totally fucked up.

I don't really see it on television all that much anymore (since the NFL playoffs ended, though, I'm watching less television all the time...my observations are questionable at the very best), but I'm sure others do or at least have.

M.I.A. + Cars...? WTF?

yertle-the-turtle 03-05-2006 08:01 PM

I don't know anything about that, no comment, but I usually have no problem with musicians licensing music. That gets more dough to feed the family, so to speak. It's their thing, they do what they want with it.

Anyway, I think she's really talented but the only song that's stuck with me so far is 'Bucky Done Gun'. I also think it's nice there's that Justine Frischmann connection considering I was big on Elastica a few years back.

gareth brown 03-05-2006 11:11 PM

MIA kicks ass

Jack In The Box 03-05-2006 11:14 PM

I have Arular and it's a pretty good record, she can mix different styles and make them sound good

BigMacPhisto 03-05-2006 11:20 PM

One of my top five albums of last year. Still catchy and as irresistible as ever.

love_u2_adam 03-05-2006 11:30 PM

i :love:sunshowers

If you shout... 03-05-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by love_u2_adam
i :love:sunshowers
All good people do.

:up: :up: :up:

Anu 08-27-2007 07:01 PM

I loved the first record, and now, I am trying to get into the new one -- Kala -- released last week.

She references the Pixies in a weird way, I think I like that .

Anyone else still digging her?

unico 08-27-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gareth brown
MIA kicks ass
i know, i know. :wink:

Anu 08-27-2007 07:42 PM

Anyone else digging how "Paper Planes" rips the Clash? Specifically "Straight to Hell"?

The song that trips Pixies is "20 Dollar," by the way.

corianderstem 08-27-2007 07:46 PM

I haven't picked up the CD yet, but it's at the top of my list of CDs to buy. :up: