U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Marriage Laws (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/marriage-laws-121924.html)

MadelynIris 04-05-2005 10:38 AM

Marriage Laws

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/cou....ap/index.html

Time to get with the times - let first cousins have the same rights as homosexuals (in some states).

BVS 04-05-2005 10:46 AM

Re: Marriage Laws

Quote:

Originally posted by MadelynIris

Time to get with the times - let first cousins have the same rights as homosexuals (in some states).

Wow, your hatred seeps through, this has nothing to do with homosexuals. Cousins have been getting married a lot longer than homosexuals.

MadelynIris 04-05-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Wow, your hatred seeps through
Wow - that is such BS. I can't believe you said that.

pax 04-05-2005 11:14 AM

Wow, a whole 2 posts in and this thread already sucks! :wink:

:|

Let's debate this one on the merits.

Thanks.

Macfistowannabe 04-05-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pax
Wow, a whole 2 posts in and this thread already sucks! :wink:

:lmao:

Macfistowannabe 04-05-2005 11:22 AM

Wow, sorry, I forgot to begin my previous post with "wow." :wink:

BVS 04-05-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pax

Let's debate this one on the merits.

Where's the merit when one is comparing incest to homosexuality from the start? When the article has nothing to do with homosexuality? When it's obvious someone's twisting the facts to make their own biased argument?

It's obvious this author of this posts has brought in homosexuality to twist this into a "see if we legalize homosexuals to marry, what's next?"

I see no merit in the original post, unless MadelynIris can explain what the two have to do with each other.

pax 04-05-2005 11:47 AM

You forgot to start your post with "Wow."

Well, then, refute that argument. If you feel that MadelynIris is making an unfair or inaccurate comparison, say so, but there's no need to accuse him of motivations he may or may not have.

BVS 04-05-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Wow - that is such BS. I can't believe you said that.

Then do you care to explain how homosexuality even came into play?

MadelynIris 04-05-2005 12:10 PM

1) Are you saying that cousins marrying is incestuous?
2) You don't think there is any relevance in the law not allowing to consenting adults to marry in half the states, be it cousins or otherwise?

Macfistowannabe 04-05-2005 12:12 PM

Wow, what a hang up. Perhaps they are fairly nontraditional marriages that are under legislation, is what they have in common.

Irvine511 04-05-2005 12:20 PM

how dare you even make the implied comparison that it's somehow equivalent to incest. no, there is no relevance, and there is no comparison to be made between gay people and cousins -- and your phrase "get with the times" is clearly gay-baiting. you're really straining here, and it's really starting to grate on me.

i'm so sick of this debate.

i'm going to say it one last time: homosexuality is EXACTLY the same as heterosexuality, only between people of the same gender. i think the problem is that heterosexuals still don't understand that "gay" isn't only about sex. people like you tend to think of homosexuals as defective straight people with uncontrollable sexual urges, and perhaps a flair for drama and interior design. you don't understand, nor care to understand, that the basis of homosexuality, along with physical attraction, is the emotional orientation towards members of our own sex. clearly, you can't identify with this, or else you're scared of it (I'm not sure which).

and so, like african-americans before me, i'm forced to explain that, really, we're not so different after all. it does take the minority to get the majority to understand that we're not sub-human, that our lives and loves are every bit as worthy and complex and joyful and agonizing as yours are and to rid you of your working assumption of the superiority of heterosexuality (the way that whites assumed racial superiority over african-americans).

don't worry, you'll come around one day. you're not necessarily a bigot, or hateful -- you're just uninformed. and this is why it's so important for people to come out.

it's for your benefit just as much as ours.

MadelynIris 04-05-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

how dare you even make the implied comparison that it's somehow equivalent to incest
Irvine - did you read the article?

Why do you guys keep referring to this as incest?

BVS 04-05-2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

1) Are you saying that cousins marrying is incestuous?
Grab a dictionary.

Quote:

2) You don't think there is any relevance in the law not allowing to consenting adults to marry in half the states, be it cousins or otherwise?

No, but you stand the burden of proof, you made the comparison.

MadelynIris 04-05-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Grab a dictionary
According to webster:

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin incestus sexual impurity, from incestus impure, from in- + castus pure -- more at CASTE
: sexual intercourse between persons so closely related that they are forbidden by law to marry; also : the statutory crime of such a relationship

again - the article describes a situation in where about half of the states outlaw this kind of marriage, the other half don't.

They are trying to educate people who insist that this kind of relationship is incest. They are trying to inform those who are uninformed about the truth in these kinds of relationships.

There is a parallel in their legal argument. I'm upset that you guys are using words like hatred and bigotry in this thread at all.

Mark