U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas? (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/shoud-atheists-celebrate-christmas-106609.html)

BrownEyedBoy 12-14-2004 05:29 PM

Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas?

Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ our saviour (hence CHRISTmas).

I was just thinking for laughs, aren't atheists being hypocritical when they celebrate christmas and easter?

A_Wanderer 12-14-2004 05:32 PM

Nope, because Christmas is a long part of my familys traditions and we celebrate it as a family, nor do I have any problem with Christmas being associated with Christ.

beli 12-14-2004 05:34 PM

Actually Christmas and Easter are pagan celebrations.

And who are you to judge what others celebrate? How about everyone play nice. Thanks. :mad:

deep 12-14-2004 05:37 PM

Merry Xmas

and to all the sun whorshipers

a Happy New Year

A_Wanderer 12-14-2004 05:38 PM

I disagree, while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

P.S. Your "saviour" not mine.

beli 12-14-2004 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A_Wanderer
while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

I agree, the current celebrations are Christian.

PS If Athiests do or don't celebrate Christmas and/or Easter its entirely up to them. Live and let live :up:

namkcuR 12-14-2004 05:46 PM

The majority of the world hasn't celebrated Christmas in that way(a Christian holiday honoring Christ) in at least a hundred years. This is the retailer's holiday. It's about two things: Being with your family and giving each other presents.

A_Wanderer 12-14-2004 05:47 PM

Indeed, except when uppity bastards begin to demand that Christmas becomes Holiday celebrations and everything Christian must be removed - that really ticks me off, we should have pride in our traditions; would the Westerners who post here expect that everything Islamic be hidden away when we are in an Islamic country lest we be offended.

tiny dancer 12-14-2004 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by namkcuR
The majority of the world hasn't celebrated Christmas in that way(a Christian holiday honoring Christ) in at least a hundred years. This is the retailer's holiday. It's about two things: Being with your family and giving each other presents.

You hit it right on the nail namkuR.

cardosino 12-14-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tiny dancer

You hit it right on the nail namkuR.

Pity the nail was banging th efoot in your mouth.

MILLIONS celebrate them from a religious perspective.

kobayashi 12-14-2004 06:12 PM

i celebrate the economy going round. so long as its not on too much credit.

which it always is. so, yes, i am a hypocrite.

and the fact that most people, for a few days, seem somewhat happy.

Angela Harlem 12-14-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cardosino

Pity the nail was banging th efoot in your mouth.

MILLIONS celebrate them from a religious perspective.

Has anyone welcomed you to FYM yet?

:cookiemonster:

indra 12-14-2004 06:19 PM

I'm more agnostic than atheistic, but I'll answer anyway. And my answer is...(drumroll please)...if they want to. Christmas can be celebrated in a completely religious way, a completely secular way, or a combination of the two (I doubt all that many people in the US anyway, celebrate Christmas in a completely religious way). I don't think it is necessarily a religious holiday to everyone now (at least in the US) -- to me that was forfeit when it became a federal holiday -- and so it can be celebrated by anyone who wishes, and in whatever manner.

Angela Harlem 12-14-2004 06:20 PM

my muslim neighbours celebrate christmas.

multi - everything australia :up:

:cookiemonster:

BrownEyedBoy 12-14-2004 08:03 PM

Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

Are you celebrating because everyone else is doing it? Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it. :silent: