U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Africa (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/africa-103727.html)

digsy 11-22-2004 06:57 AM

Africa

i don't really know if this is the place for this post but i figured if the AIDS and poverty crisis had ever been discussed it would have been in here so their might be some people who can help. if its wrong, mods please move it to where its more appropriate.

Basically I'm looking to do some volunteer work in Africa next year. Bono's work with various organisation like DATA and the One Campaign etc has really opened my eyes and shocked me into action as such.

I've signed up to every campaign and petition i can find but really want to be more involved so plan on taking a trip next year to see for myself whats going on and provide as much help as one little me can give.

Basically I'm looking for any information i can find on organsations that offer hands-on volunteering. i've had a hunt on the net but have hit a bit of a wall and i was hoping someone in here knew of someone who had done this or possibly even done it themselves and could help me out.

I'm particuarly aiming to go t o an African country that has been hit by the things that DATA stand for ie debt, Aids and trade problems. from what I gather Uganda, Ghana and Ethioopia seem to be prominently featured countries but i'm sure in a continent the size of Africa there are many other places that need help. unfortunaetly i'm not in a position to quit my job so i'm looking at 2 weeks to a maximum of a month for this trip to start with.

Any advice, information or help anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

digsy

BostonAnne 11-22-2004 08:30 AM

I wish I had an answer for you. Perhaps e-mail DATA or http://www.africare.org/ with your request for info.

Good Luck!

Dreadsox 11-22-2004 01:03 PM

Are you looking for church organizations...

The Bishop at the conference I was at this weekend asked a very good question.

If the money can do so much good, why spend it on getting to Africa to see it yourself?

The response from the panel unanimously was that people who actually go there, and see, and feel the plight of the the impoverished, tend to come home and raise more money than they would have before.

If you are interested in some church related groups, I might have a few in mind. I am noew at this too...so I may not be as helpful as some of the others in here.

Rinn 11-22-2004 01:09 PM

caritas Australia does workshops with an optional overseas two week thing at the end but since you're in London it might not be any use. I hope you get to Africa anyway
Cheers

Jamila 11-23-2004 11:32 PM

digsy, being that you're in the UK, here is probably your best place to start to look for organizations that may offer you volunteer opportunities in the Mother Continent:

http://www.afford-uk.org/resources/database/

Look at their website, make some contacts there and then let us know what your progress is in getting to Africa. :yes:

Best wishes, digsy - let us know if you need any more assistance.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

charbono 11-29-2004 12:11 AM

go to http://www.idealist.org - it's the biggest database I know of.

sulawesigirl4 11-29-2004 03:27 AM

I live in West Africa in a country that is very indebted and poor. There is AIDS but not as badly as some other countries. Email me

AussieU2fanman 11-29-2004 04:50 AM

wouldn't a solution for AIDS increase poverty in Africa? If everyone was healthy, wouldn't there be an even more rapid population growth rate which will increase poverty even more than what it already is? There would be increased hunger, unemployment, and every other criteria comprising life in Africa. No pun intended, I'm just thinking what would happen if a cure for AIDS is found.

Liesje 11-29-2004 05:38 AM

No. If everyone was healthy, everyone would be able to work and provide food for the family. Population growth does not absolutely equal increased poverty. Take some third world development classes or something, Aussie.

AussieU2fanman 11-29-2004 06:21 AM

so i take it africa does have some industries apart from producers of primary products (which producers are recieving very low prices for). There are plenty of job opportunities in Africa? I don't fully understand the economic situation in Africa, I haven't studied it. But of course if there are no job opporunites particuarily in the non-agricultural sector, rapid population growth will obviously have negative effects on Africa as a whole.

Liesje 11-29-2004 07:12 AM

digsy's just looking to help people, period. Economics does not account for quality of life.

digsy 12-28-2004 02:24 PM

hey

thanks for all the help you guys offered.
i've been scouring websites and groups and organisations and stuff and have some tentative plans laid out for later this year, nothing set in concrete yet but at least plans are happening :yes:
so thanks for all the info you gave - some of those websites came in real handy

starsgoblue 12-28-2004 03:43 PM

Digs...the best of luck with all that! I'm actually trying to do the same thing...I was going to go through a church but I decided I would feel odd with that because I didn't want anyone I was trying to help profess any kind of faith in anything because they feel like they'd have to in order to get any assistance...if that makes any sense. :huh: So now I'm trying to figure something out as well...

I have decided recently to switch my major to International Studies and possibly even specializing in the African region...either that or diplomacy/international relations. Crazy what an outspoken Irishman can do to ya, huh?

Aussie...the problem of AIDs is bound up in poverty as well as other things. There really is alot of different factors that are wrapped up in this problem....www.data.org can really help explain everything.

Jamila 12-28-2004 05:01 PM

:up:

Liesje 12-28-2004 05:52 PM

Good luck digsy and stars! My roomie and I are off to east Africa in a week! :hyper: