U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Why the Flu Shot Shortage..A DiamondInvestigation. Not On 60 Mins. (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/why-the-flu-shot-shortage-a-diamondinvestigation-not-on-60-mins-100474.html)

diamond 10-27-2004 03:43 PM

Why the Flu Shot Shortage..A DiamondInvestigation. Not On 60 Mins.
 
Why the shortage:

Almost half of the nation's flu vaccine will not be delivered this year.
Chiron, a major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing
any influenza vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million
doses vaccine for the United States. Chiron is a British company.. Recently
British health officials stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when inspectors found unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine were recalled and destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the
nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit
margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the
late 80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu.
The strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a
US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5 million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit margin. Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US.

By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law
suit was a young attorney by the name of John Edwards.http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/arch...ds_133569a.jpg

anitram 10-27-2004 03:54 PM

Yes, that's why there's a shortage. :eyebrow:

IMHO, the flu shot is completely useless for healthy people and there is no reason to administer it to anyone but the severly immunocompromised and the elderly.

diamond 10-27-2004 03:56 PM

but..
Kerry disagrees w you and claims Bush is a bastard for offering your same suggestion Ms. Anitram.

:)
db9

sharky 10-27-2004 03:58 PM

My mom sent me this forward, D. My sister works for a healthcare company. This is the email she sent back to Mom and I. And no jokes about how I'm not the only opinionated ranter in my family. ;)

"American companies don't make vaccines mainly because of low profit margins, and more importantly, the high chance of contamination. There is no reason for a company in a business with huge profit margins to make a drug that has a high chance of failure every year. it's smarter to put money into products that have a better chance to make it to market. Low margins are the same reasons that these vaccines are still produced by hand using chicken eggs instead of earmarking R&D resources to developing more stable biological cell delivery systems. to simplify the flu vaccine shortage to the point of saying one lawsuit did it in is irresponsible and ignores every other business factor that goes into decided whether to produce a drug or not."

anitram 10-27-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diamond
but..
Kerry disagrees w you and claims Bush is a bastard for offering your same suggestion Ms. Anitram.

When did he call him a bastard?

Kerry is free to disagree with me in this regard, just like he'd disagree with me on the gay marriage issue. Neither of those change the fact that I'd rather stab myself in the spleen with a rusty fork than vote for Bush.

diamond 10-27-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sharky
My mom sent me this forward, D. My sister works for a healthcare company. This is the email she sent back to Mom and I. And no jokes about how I'm not the only opinionated ranter in my family. ;)

"American companies don't make vaccines mainly because of low profit margins,

this was a long time ago in the 1980s sharky.

if you can prove this company was making huge profits w this vaccine THAT would be interesting.

more interesting is the lawyer who was involved and how it was ignored by the main stream media:)

db9

anitram 10-27-2004 04:04 PM

This does bring up an interesting question, though.

Is it more important to protect the health of the citizens or for a private company to make a fortune? If they have low profit margins, they still have profit, and are not losing money on the production. It's open greed that's keeping them from producing the vaccine en masse.

diamond 10-27-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anitram


When did he call him a bastard?

Kerry is free to disagree with me in this regard, just like he'd disagree with me on the gay marriage issue. Neither of those change the fact that I'd rather stab myself in the spleen with a rusty fork than vote for Bush.

"bastard" was my artistic freedom at work.
he implied gw was one through his condenscending commentary.

please put the knife down, you're canadian.

we're not worried about u voting here.:)

db9

diamond 10-27-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anitram
This does bring up an interesting question, though.

Is it more important to protect the health of the citizens or for a private company to make a fortune? If they have low profit margins, they still have profit, and are not losing money on the production. It's open greed that's keeping them from producing the vaccine en masse.

umm i will catch the flu for 5 million dollars:)
:up:http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/arch...ds_133569a.jpg

BAW 10-27-2004 04:09 PM

I thought Chiron was an American company based in California with a manufacturing plant in England? :confused:

anitram 10-27-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diamond

umm i will catch the flu for 5 million dollars:)

I honestly don't understand about 98% of what you say.

nbcrusader 10-27-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anitram
Is it more important to protect the health of the citizens or for a private company to make a fortune? If they have low profit margins, they still have profit, and are not losing money on the production. It's open greed that's keeping them from producing the vaccine en masse.
Unless you want the government to do everything, the risk-reward ratio must tip the right way for private companies to provide such things. Exposure to lawsuits, especially those manufactured by class action attorneys, artificially shift the balance for the principle benefit of greedy attorneys.

diamond 10-27-2004 04:12 PM

somebody help the canadian please:)
she missed the 5 million dollar settlement punch-line and the john edward's connection and why the drug companies cannot afford to offer inexpensive flu shots because of attorneys like John Edwards:)

thx,
db9

joyfulgirl 10-27-2004 04:21 PM

No one should take a flu vaccine as long as they still contain mercury, imo.

I take a homeopathic 'vaccination.' I never get the flu (knock on wood).

sharky 10-27-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nbcrusader


Unless you want the government to do everything, the risk-reward ratio must tip the right way for private companies to provide such things. Exposure to lawsuits, especially those manufactured by class action attorneys, artificially shift the balance for the principle benefit of greedy attorneys.

Maybe in this case it would be better for the government to do it -- public good before private profit [or lack thereof].

I wish I could have gotten one. After getting one for several years, my natural immunity to the flu is shot. And the fiance was in ICU last year with saline drips because he dehydrated from the flu. Oh and I work for a media company so got one in 2001 so if I did get flu-like symptoms, I knew it was anthrax and not the flu.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com