LA Forum (night 2) 5/16/18 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesearethedays View Post
The way you're criticizing some of the generally regarded best bands of all time, U2 doesn't have a chance!

I also think your assessments are way off. Floyd not engaging audiences? Ha! Jimmy page solos self
indulgent? Perhaps, but epic nevertheless. Its quite silly to compare Bono to Plant or Edge to Page or Gilmour. love Larry but he's no Bonham, or even Ringo. Let's cut the bs.
You completely missed the point of my comments.

Partyslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
The way you're criticizing some of the generally regarded best bands of all time, U2 doesn't have a chance!

I also think your assessments are way off. Floyd not engaging audiences? Ha! Jimmy page solos self
indulgent? Perhaps, but epic nevertheless. Its quite silly to compare Bono to Plant or Edge to Page or Gilmour. love Larry but he's no Bonham, or even Ringo. Let's cut the bs.
You really did miss his point. And yes, it is silly to compare Bono to Plant or Edge to Page. In my opinion, the members of U2 may not be virtuoso's, but the magic they created together on record and live puts them head and shoulders above most of the bands you listed. You can keep the gunslinger guitar players. I respect their talents but they do nothing for me.

ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #18
Fan & Taper

I get what PartySlammer is saying. When you have been lucky enough to see U2 in multiple decades, you are simply comparing them to themselves! The band has the capability of doing some of their best work right now. Bono sounds good. There is no fault with the band, other than the energy and setlists they put together. Heck, one great example is the footage from a few years back of Adam and Edge showing up at the @U2 party. The cover band drummer actually played OOC FAST and it sounded awesome.

Again, I had a great time at both LA shows, but it was no where near as good as the shows in 2015.
Chrisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I get what PartySlammer is saying. When you have been lucky enough to see U2 in multiple decades, you are simply comparing them to themselves! The band has the capability of doing some of their best work right now. Bono sounds good. There is no fault with the band, other than the energy and setlists they put together. Heck, one great example is the footage from a few years back of Adam and Edge showing up at the @U2 party. The cover band drummer actually played OOC FAST and it sounded awesome.

Again, I had a great time at both LA shows, but it was no where near as good as the shows in 2015.
Speaking of which, I've never understood why U2 plays the "slow" version of Out of Control. The version on the Slane Castle DVD, for example, is plodding and just not good IMO. Other versions, for example live in 2011 that seemed a bit faster, but not as fast as the 80's versions. I wonder if Larry does not use the click track in his IEM for that song. I highly doubt it, but it does seem like the timing on it varies more than other songs.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
You really did miss his point. And yes, it is silly to compare Bono to Plant or Edge to Page. In my opinion, the members of U2 may not be virtuoso's, but the magic they created together on record and live puts them head and shoulders above most of the bands you listed. You can keep the gunslinger guitar players. I respect their talents but they do nothing for me.
Yep. I wasn't denigrating U2, especially as a live act compared to the big classic rock bands mentioned. In my comments, strictly addressing the live aspect of these bands, there's a *lot* of thing besides the sheer talent of the individual musicians that come into play at a concert - how they gel as a band, the strength of the songs played, how the sound (and visual if any) production projects the band throughout a big hall, arena or stadium and most importantly, how an audience responds. In those regards, U2 has been a "elite top tier" band in those regards most of their career.

I don't think U2 can compare to the overall quality of studio releases especially regarding The Beatles and Led Zeppelin who have an unmatched catalog of studio albums, coupled with a strong creative arc through their careers. In fact I'd say LZ never put out a dud from start to finish, something that U2 can't compare.

Then again, U2's been around for 4 decades which factors in a lot of issues like time, creative growth and changes in pop culture while The Beatles and Led Zep lasted around a single decade. I think U2 has put out more diverse, interesting and mostly better music even at their low points then say, The Rolling Stones or The Who who are still slogging it out in some fashion for much longer.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
I think U2 has put out more diverse, interesting and mostly better music even at their low points then say, The Rolling Stones or The Who who are still slogging it out in some fashion for much longer.
it's good you mentioned the rolling stones here. i looked at their no filter setlist from europe and it's 75-80% same old with maybe 5 songs on any given night that could be considered unpredictable before the tour.

this tour is a gift for new and more obscure music from the u2 catalog at this point. pair it with JT30 and you've got a ton of their greatest hits/best songs
MFF0RD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Yes they do have magic, which is why I'm a huge fan of u2, and was actually defending them if you'd bother to read the entire conversation.

Ahem, no u2 are not "heads and shoulders above" the likes of zeppelin and Floyd... You're of course entitled to your opinion, but you now have no credibility as a music connoisseur.

I get it if guitar hero rock god virtuosity ain't your thing, but that don't mean it ain't incredible!

Peace. ✌
Thesearethedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #23
Fan & Taper

TJT30 was lazy too. LOL. Sure, Exit and Mothers was cool, and getting a couple of new songs throughout the tour was nice, but come on. It was a cash grab while they finished SOE (They owed LiveNation a tour...since they were supposed to be on the SOE tour in 2016...)
Chrisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Yep. I wasn't denigrating U2, especially as a live act compared to the big classic rock bands mentioned. In my comments, strictly addressing the live aspect of these bands, there's a *lot* of thing besides the sheer talent of the individual musicians that come into play at a concert - how they gel as a band, the strength of the songs played, how the sound (and visual if any) production projects the band throughout a big hall, arena or stadium and most importantly, how an audience responds. In those regards, U2 has been a "elite top tier" band in those regards most of their career.

I don't think U2 can compare to the overall quality of studio releases especially regarding The Beatles and Led Zeppelin who have an unmatched catalog of studio albums, coupled with a strong creative arc through their careers. In fact I'd say LZ never put out a dud from start to finish, something that U2 can't compare.

Then again, U2's been around for 4 decades which factors in a lot of issues like time, creative growth and changes in pop culture while The Beatles and Led Zep lasted around a single decade. I think U2 has put out more diverse, interesting and mostly better music even at their low points then say, The Rolling Stones or The Who who are still slogging it out in some fashion for much longer.
Great points! I agree that comparing a band(U2) that's been around for 40 years and has been a top tier live act with multiple masterpieces under their belt and perhaps a couple of misses due to longevity with other bands that, though they may have been brilliant, burned out within a decade is completely asinine. I absolutely love The Beatles and what they accomplished musically in 8 short years musically and culturally puts them in a category among themselves. The others such as the Rolling Stones, The Who, and yes, Zeppelin I find to be nowhere near as interesting and diverse of a discography as U2's.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
After the whole U2.com fanclub/Verified Ticket fiasco and the disappointment from last night’s show, I will have to think long and hard before committing to seeing this band again.
I agree 100% with your review, except for this sentence. I will take any chance to see this band while they are still around.
discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Yes they do have magic, which is why I'm a huge fan of u2, and was actually defending them if you'd bother to read the entire conversation.

Ahem, no u2 are not "heads and shoulders above" the likes of zeppelin and Floyd... You're of course entitled to your opinion, but you now have no credibility as a music connoisseur.

I get it if guitar hero rock god virtuosity ain't your thing, but that don't mean it ain't incredible!

Peace. ✌
Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Sums up my thoughts when reading that yesterday.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Similar to my thoughts on your overly negative reviews. Luckily there are many grateful fans posting positive reviews. Can't please everyone, but not sure why you find it necessary to carve up a band that's still rocking it into their 60s. Just relax, be a fan (maybe you aren't) and enjoy what's left. Especially since they sound great, and are still making quality, meaningful music.

Then you went on to make some unnecessary and ridiculous criticisms of other great bands. Hopefully you'll one day find a show that meets your expectations!

Thesearethedays is offline   Reply With Quote