Willie williams berlin comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I'm sure most of us are by now familiar with Willie Williams stating that the November 13 Berlin show will be filmed for DVD release with the goal of not repeating anything from 2015. Of course, there's been some discussion over whether he meant just SOI songs or the back catalog (primarily warhorses) entirely. A reading of statement seems to suggest he means the entire set- as he said "we don't want anything that was in the 2015 show" then goes on to suggest that what they're getting ready for, most bands would do during the pre tour rehearsal phase.

So I got out my Paris DVD from 2015. Taking out the filler slots ("people have the power" "mother and child reunion," Eagles of death metal collaboration), we have 25 full song performances on that DVD.

I then set out to make a 25 song set that followed Willie's stated goal and took into consideration sets over the E/I tour so far, particularly recently. Would U2 ever go so light on hits? Who knows? But they say they're doing this and they'd have to if they followed through. I think I did alright, though I do feel strongly you have to break the "no JT songs" rule to bring the set to 3 big hits.

1) The Blackout
2) Lights of home
3) Gloria
4) A Sort of Homecoming
5) Unforgettable Fire
6) Zoo Station
7) Trying to throw your arms around the world
8) Stay
9)Who's gonna ride your wild horses
---------------------------INTERMISSION------------------------------
10) Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
11) The fly
12) The showman
13) Acrobat
14) Best Thing
15) All I want is you
16) Summer of Love
17) Like a song
18) Red Flag Day
19) Get out of your own way
20) Magnificent/Ode to joy
21) New Year's Day
------------------------------END OF THE MAIN SET----------------------------
22) Please
23) Love is bigger
24) Still Haven't found what I'm looking for/stand by me
25) 13(there is a light)

Would be a bold set to play never mind release, but if there's a tour they'd go so light on hits and heavy on not so well known new stuff, this has already proven to be it.

I think the only reach I really make is including "Like A Song." I realize that's a long shot, but War tracks have been criminally underplayed and this one would take the "Pride" role quite well. End SOL, Like a song comes in drum heavy and can be used to provide a scathing indictment of the dangerous, right wing, hyper nationalist ideologies gripping Europe at the present time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom