Paris #4 Setlist Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The over/under on song changes from last night is 1.5.

It’s not going out on a limb to predict they’ll play ABOY.

But if they don’t hit the over, in city where they have played 4 nights, I’m confident we can say it’s a lost cause.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see Gloria after IWF, was in the ATL and that was a good back to backer. They have to throw in some of the songs they’ve rehearsed recently, Stay, TUF, Landlady, atleast swap out Best Thing with Landlady!!!

Would it kill them to not play IWF just once? Would the earth split open? Good lord.

All Because of You again...

Just like the last tour, I don’t know what’s their mindset with these fairly static sets. Are they just not in the mood to change it up anymore?

The extra snip doesn’t count.
Guess Lenny’s there tonight

The problem is with 2015 we were under the expectation that 2018 would be similar and we’d get some variety, feels more like 1992 with little variation. I get it, not everyone is attending all 4 shows and probably one, but for folks attending all 4, we’d like some variation for our $.

I like what they have done to the back end of pride, where Edge changes it up a bit, seems slower and softer, and Larry doesn’t use the snare underneath B’s rambling.
I noticed it for the first time yesterday.

AccorHotels Arena - Paris, France - September 13, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / The Great Dictator ----------
01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - All Because of You
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
07 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
08 - Cedarwood Road
09 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
10 - Until the End of the World
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
11 - Elevation
12 - Vertigo / Are You Gonna Go My Way (snippet) / The Jean Genie (snippet)
13 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
14 - Acrobat
15 - You're the Best Thing About Me
16 - Summer of Love
17 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
18 - Get Out of Your Own Way
19 - New Year's Day
20 - Ode to Joy (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
21 - One
22 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
23 - 13 (There is a Light)

Last edited:
you are a jaded bunch

some of my frenchie friends were there tonight and they loved it, were completely blown away :heart:

Imagine being in a band with literally hundreds of songs in your catalogue and playing just 24 of them across four nights in the same city.

you're just looking at it from your setlist stats perspective - it's completely different when you're there

IWF and Pride were mahoosive highlights at my Paris gig for instance - the whole arena was jumping/arms in the air/singing along passionately, even tho the songs make you setlist followers groan

omg entitlement or what?

[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

yes, it's completely unreasonable that someone spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to see multiple shows by the same band might hope to see more than one song's difference between the nights.

someone wanting to see their favourite band play as many songs as possible is pure selfish entitlement, amirite?

Last edited:
If some of you are happy with the band not meeting their potential then hey good for you.

Here's the thing...

U2 have set themselves up for this kind of criticism due to decades worth of mixing up the setlist even to a small, 2-3 songs per consecutive night stand. Granted the '92 legs of the ZooTV and most of the Popmart tours remained fairly static from show to show but the Joshua Tree and Lovetown tours, and later between the Elevation through IE tours, they kept the set from becoming static and rote. Even last year's JT30 show at least debuted a couple as-then unreleased songs through the tour. The only thing that's evolved over the length of this tour is dropping songs and subbing a few burnouts in/out for Europe from the US leg.

When they were mixing songs up a bit in past tours, it seemed like they did it not just to throw curve balls to fans, especially as everyone moved into the internet age, but to keep the "job" of playing scores of shows through a long tour fresh and interesting for the band members themselves. Frankly, as musicians, they seem less engaged in what they're doing right now than any tour I can remember.

I don't feel entitled or disappointed that U2 is sticking to a rote setlist this tour. It simply saved me hundreds of dollars not wanting to see more than one show this time around.

If I were in U2, I wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation to just randomly bust out “false prophet” 40 years later. Just play it, don’t say anything about it, don’t address it after it’s over, and never play it again.

The fans would go crazy!!!

But seriously, if I had the amazing catalog U2 had, I wouldn’t be able to ignore it.

I play guitar in a band with some friends. We’ve played together since 2001. We never play the same set twice, rather it’s a rehearsal or a gig. It keeps us on our toes and makes it more fun. Sometimes at rehearsals we’ll throw out a random tune we haven’t played in 10 years just to try and trip each other up.

Obviously we aren’t playing on nearly the same level as U2, but as a musician it just boggles my mind how they can do the exact same show over and over. Then again, they’re grossing $1-2 million per show... and we sometimes don’t even get paid for gigs because we mainly just do it for a hobby.

omg entitlement or what?

I’m sure U2 realizes that fans travel since it’s not like they visit every city and for that fact I don’t think it’s unreasonable to change up or atleast add a couple more songs that would rotate each night without losing the intention of the story they’re trying to tell. Plus it’s not like they have a couple albums to choose from.

[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

yes, it's completely unreasonable that someone spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to see multiple shows by the same band might hope to see more than one song's difference between the nights.

someone wanting to see their favourite band play as many songs as possible is pure selfish entitlement, amirite?

pretty much (although not so much "wanting", more the "complaining they don't get value for money" lol), unless it's the type of band/gig where you can heckle and shout requests and they play them (which they have done in the past)

and it's not everyone who displays this entitlement, it's only a minority of the gig-goers, those who go to multiple gigs - most people just have a fucking great time and leave a U2 gig transformed and happy

and if they don't play the "right" different song, the die-hards still all complain about it

let them just do their thing and enjoy the whole experience

heck, i had just one gig and was so high on the experience and atmosphere i couldn't remember what song was coming next, despite being a setlist twitcher, and the whole thing felt new and wonderful

and they're playing Acrobat ffs jeesus you are all spoilt brats

Last edited:
I play guitar in a band with some friends. We’ve played together since 2001. We never play the same set twice, rather it’s a rehearsal or a gig. It keeps us on our toes and makes it more fun. Sometimes at rehearsals we’ll throw out a random tune we haven’t played in 10 years just to try and trip each other up.

Obviously we aren’t playing on nearly the same level as U2, but as a musician it just boggles my mind how they can do the exact same show over and over. Then again, they’re grossing $1-2 million per show... and we sometimes don’t even get paid for gigs because we mainly just do it for a hobby.

did you hear the IEM recording of them practising Landlady the other day? they are doing something on a huge production scale, and it was fascinating to hear all the little details and instructions, the directing, where to go, what to do, when and with what cue just for one song - it's pretty complex and fine tuned

cool you're in a band :up: yep, musicians, the only people who drive a 500 {insert currency} car 500 miles loaded with 5000 {insert currency} worth of gear for 50 {insert currency} :D

pretty much (although not so much "wanting", more the "complaining they don't get value for money" lol), unless it's the type of band/gig where you can heckle and shout requests and they play them (which they have done in the past)

and it's not everyone who displays this entitlement, it's only a minority of the gig-goers, those who go to multiple gigs - most people just have a fucking great time and leave a U2 gig transformed and happy

and if they don't play the "right" different song, the die-hards still all complain about it

let them just do their thing and enjoy the whole experience

heck, i had just one gig and was so high on the experience and atmosphere i couldn't remember what song was coming next, despite being a setlist twitcher, and the whole thing felt new and wonderful

and they're playing Acrobat ffs jeesus you are all spoilt brats

It’s good to see someone is ‘defending’ the band. But there is no need to. Of course, almost every U2 concert is a great experience. But without a lot of extra effort the band could vary the setlist a bit to make the performance more interesting for some fans and - even more important - for themselves.

For someone who only saw 1 show (Chicago 2), I am fine with this setlist. It was a great show. But to do 4 shows in the same venue, and only differ 1 song, is crazy. They can blame the narrative and the fixed production all they want. But they had the same stage in 2015 and at least for awhile used a lot of variation on the e stage.

I dunno, it just reeks of laziness.

I don't think it's laziness. If it were laziness, they wouldn't be rehearsing all those new songs right now. Even if the songs are being rehearsed for a smaller, one off show, the fact that they are willing to do that shows they aren't lazy.

I'm not sure what it is though. My guess would be some sort of stubborn artistic vision with regards to the narrative or flow of the set.

Back
Top Bottom