New York #3 Setlist Open Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 hours of heavy handed politically themed lecturing from a group of millionaire tax dodging rock stars.... yeah, millions of concert goers would love to shell out hundreds of dollars a seat for that.

Not a chance in hell I would attend a concert if it was dedicated to that.

Worked fine for Roger Waters.

I'd be happy to see U2 turn people off instead of trying to straddle the middle. I heard a guy yell "ahh fuck you" as soon as the Charlottesville footage came up. I don't need to share air with that kind of ignorance. Let them walk out and never return.

This was the first show of the tour I had a seat for. I took advantage of that by making my beer run during The Best Thing. All Because Of You and American Soul have grown on me, but that version never fails to make me cringe. Coming down from the high of Acrobat into that doesn't work at all. That and the lack of Wild Horses are really my only complaints about the setlist. I mean, more rotation in the 5 spot would be great, but this is U2. You know not to expect variety.

I was going to forego this tour because I'm just not in a good place in my life right now. But when I saw that there were still tickets available for March 1st, I just had to go. I have rarely made such a good decision in my life. I cried during the first song...cried so hard...it was like my feelings of sadness and worry and heartbreak just all came out of me. But I was in a place I felt safe to release these feelings. I was with My Band, and while I was in the same place as My Band, everything would be okay, if only for a little while. And, it was.

Great post, glad you had such a good time. I was also going to forego this tour, for a lot of reasons (distance, saw U2 twice last year, nobody else wanted to make the trip to Chicago, kids, work, $, etc etc etc). But I made myself go, even though I had to go by myself. The feeling was just as you described. For 2 hours, it was just me and my favorite band. For 2 hours, nothing else was on my mind... it was perfect. I will see U2 as many times as I can for as long as I can. I can’t believe I thought about not going.

I'd be happy to see U2 turn people off instead of trying to straddle the middle. I heard a guy yell "ahh fuck you" as soon as the Charlottesville footage came up. I don't need to share air with that kind of ignorance. Let them walk out and never return.

To be fair Clerks curses a lot.

Elevation Influx mix—>Elevation—>Vertigo worked really well. I was in the upper deck and everyone was standing up.

This thread made me curious, so I looked. The Prudential Center and Nassau Coliseum are 46 miles apart, and it would take 1 hr 10m to drive there.

Also, Bono said last night was their 30th time playing MSG. While technically true, one of those was just Bono and Edge at this year's Grammys playing
"XXX" with Kendrick Lamar. Also, they only played there 4 times before 2001.

Last edited:
This thread made me curious, so I looked. The Prudential Center and Nassau Coliseum are 46 miles apart, and it would take 1 hr 10m to drive there.

Also, Bono said last night was their 30th time playing MSG. While technically true, one of those was just Bono and Edge at this year's Grammys playing
"XXX" with Kendrick Lamar. Also, they only played there 4 times before 2001.
There are 4 major arenas in NYC Metro... MSG, Barclays, Prudential and the Coliseum. They're building a 5th for the Islanders near Belmont Racetrack.

There's also a smaller arena in Bridgeport, which is technically speaking within the metro area.

There's a lot of places to play, is what I'm saying.

They played the apollo, brookyln bridge, fordham university , irving plaza... there are 1000 places they can play around here including my shitty house in CT.

Just got to the hotel near Mohegan. My first show here since Springsteen’s tour finale May 2014. I vow not to be negative about the setlist for this final US show, rock out to ABOY and enjoy the fact that they’re playing one more show in the states before a lengthy break.

Last edited:
Just got to the hotel near Mohegan. My first show here since Springsteen’s tour finale May 2014. I vow not to be negative about the setlist for this final US show, rock out to ABOY and enjoy the fact that they’re playing one more show in the states before a lengthy break.

Amen

Wonder when Sicy will notice she’s copy/pasted the last three set lists in the sticky from DRay’s posts with :tbd: still in slot 5...

Also static like their set lists is u2 fans complaining about it non stop.
Heh
The snippets is where the variation is at
Interesting

Again, setlist sucks on paper, I know. But there was so much energy tonight. In spite of ABOY, still happy I made the trip.
Glad u had a great time! :hug:

Tues audience was high energy, too. Which was great to be around!!! The folks around my whole area cheered when The Blackout started up. And kept on most of the whole show.

I was going to forego this tour because I'm just not in a good place in my life right now. But when I saw that there were still tickets available for March 1st, I just had to go. I have rarely made such a good decision in my life. I cried during the first song...cried so hard...it was like my feelings of sadness and worry and heartbreak just all came out of me. But I was in a place I felt safe to release these feelings. I was with My Band, and while I was in the same place as My Band, everything would be okay, if only for a little while. And, it was.
:hug: :hug: so sorry things are difficult right now, diane.

My RL worries are more down the line (x + months) and I expect YTing, and watching my camera vids from my show will be a joyous respite from possible nasty stuff, and increase my happiness in good times.
RL thots intruded my experience a few times but about 94% of the show I was rocking out with all I had. :D

so, yeah, it works way better live than on paper, and weirdly, the weakest part in this show was the strongest part in 2015 (Iris, CW, SBS). Once they show up on the b-stage the roof blows off and it's so much fun -- say what you will about Vertigo/Elevation, they slay live, and Acrobat is worth the price of admission.

then it turns political and i dare you not to cry the tears of the rightous from Pride on.

i think they need to drop all the 2015 stuff and make this tour about fighting Trump Nazis and (one assumes in August) European Fascists.

I still really love Iris. Great song.
I always really liked Elevation and Vertigo
and yeah, they are truly electric live!
E-stage was great, didn't know about the visuals there, so extra great fun!
In my case it was mostly righteous yelling at people being evil on the screen, and the latest despicable actions.

I didn’t realize how many songs from this tour they played again. But I realize it’s because they like the theme and use of sceeen. Iris. Cedar wood road. End of world. Works so well visually and theme wise. Still next tour the theme I want is just a band on a stage killing it.
you see the Apollo vids, yet? Almost surreal, but really great!I

2 hours of heavy handed politically themed lecturing from a group of millionaire tax dodging rock stars.... yeah, millions of concert goers would love to shell out hundreds of dollars a seat for that.

:hmm: well it's not like they were born with silver spoons in their mouths, like a certain Head of State (gack :crack:) we know of. They earned their millions through hard work, individual talents, and synergistic blending of said creativity.
Be glad to hear more powerful political songs, and use of the ones they have.

yup.

Great post, glad you had such a good time. I was also going to forego this tour, for a lot of reasons (distance, saw U2 twice last year, nobody else wanted to make the trip to Chicago, kids, work, $, etc etc etc). But I made myself go, even though I had to go by myself. The feeling was just as you described. For 2 hours, it was just me and my favorite band. For 2 hours, nothing else was on my mind... it was perfect. I will see U2 as many times as I can for as long as I can. I can’t believe I thought about not going.
:up:

There are 4 major arenas in NYC Metro... MSG, Barclays, Prudential and the Coliseum. They're building a 5th for the Islanders near Belmont Racetrack.

There's also a smaller arena in Bridgeport, which is technically speaking within the metro area.

There's a lot of places to play, is what I'm saying.
Ha! I thot Prudential was Nassau Col renamed! :lol:
------------------

Very, very, very happy I got to see/hear them once more, esp for an album I really love!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom