Montréal #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the east coast shows. All done and it’s not even 8!

Red Flag Day hasn't missed a performance in a two night city.

San Jose #2
Las Vegas #1
Inglewood #1
Chicago #2

Being that night 1 in each city is the one reviewed, maybe it’s to avoid the reviews saying they’re playing to much new stuff?

It's a thought. As much as I love RFD and hope they keep playing it, hard to match the energy of IWF right into Gloria. That's an awesome combo.

Red Flag Day hasn't missed a performance in a two night city.

San Jose #2
Las Vegas #1
Inglewood #1
Chicago #2

But I went to SJ1 and LA2. :(

It was extremely cool being there for the tour debut of Gloria. Makes up for missing RFD.

It's a thought. As much as I love RFD and hope they keep playing it, hard to match the energy of IWF right into Gloria. That's an awesome combo.

Heard them back to back in LA1, they're both good, but Gloria is stronger.

On a side note, I wondered for a while why so many of you were obsessed with Gloria live. After seeing it in person, I'm a converted believer. #LatinRock

Last edited:
FFS Bono, can't you just change American to Canadian for 2 nights? :doh:

Jumping in here because I don't understand . I really don't get why you guys complain about American Soul when it's pretty apparent to me they are doing a theatrical show with a theme. This is not CBGB's in the 80's. I know you realize this, It's pretty obvious right and that this part of the narrative of the show is a story about the current state of affairs in the USA. The American people's soul has been taken from them and this nation is unrecognizable these days bla bla bla. This is not about Canada, ( love me some Canada btw) this not about Europe, love Europe, it's about America and it's people looking for it's soul after Trumpism devastates the spirit of our nation. ?? So why expect them to change the lyrics it would be so out of place. I mean Justin Trudeau is a very progressive leader in Canada, why would they be looking for their soul with him in charge! I wish he was our president it just doesn't make sense to me.

Jumping in here because I don't understand . I really don't get why you guys complain about American Soul when it's pretty apparent to me they are doing a theatrical show with a theme. This is not CBGB's in the 80's. I know you realize this, It's pretty obvious right and that this part of the narrative of the show is a story about the current state of affairs in the USA. The American people's soul has been taken from them and this nation is unrecognizable these days bla bla bla. This is not about Canada, ( love me some Canada btw) this not about Europe, love Europe, it's about America and it's people looking for it's soul after Trumpism devastates the spirit of our nation. ?? So why expect them to change the lyrics it would be so out of place. I mean Justin Trudeau is a very progressive leader in Canada, why would they be looking for their soul with him in charge! I wish he was our president it just doesn't make sense to me.
Could you explain to the class what this tight, theatrical narrative of the entire show is? Cause it appears to be 5 different narratives crammed together.

can't sub out Desire because then how can Bono say how much fun experience is because you get what you

desire

all part of the storytelling.

related: i'm voting to remove the word narrative from the forum, as well as all sports media.

Could you explain to the class what this tight, theatrical narrative of the entire show is? Cause it appears to be 5 different narratives crammed together.

Ya that's right there are several different narratives, I didn't mean to say one "tight" theme throughout. Even though they do leave spots in the show to play around and mix up or add songs, American Soul fits in the portion with the political theme and the theme is the USA not Canada. Right? Bono brought back MacPhisto to ream Trump. Not Justin Trudeau. I get it, it would be fun if they mixed it up more instead of one predictable early section of the show but I am talking about the theme of the song being about the USA politic not Canada's.

That's all. Just wondering how Bono changing the lyric to "came here looking for Canadian soul" would work with a song about American politics? On second thought knowing Bono and his pension for Bongolese it may come out that way tonight regardless. LOL

Ya that's right there are several different narratives, I didn't mean to say one "tight" theme throughout. Even though they do leave spots in the show to play around and mix up or add songs, American Soul fits in the portion with the political theme and the theme is the USA not Canada. Right? Bono brought back MacPhisto to ream Trump. Not Justin Trudeau. I get it, it would be fun if they mixed it up more instead of one predictable early section of the show but I am talking about the theme of the song being about the USA politic not Canada's.

That's all. Just wondering how Bono changing the lyric to "came here looking for Canadian soul" would work with a song about American politics? On second thought knowing Bono and his pension for Bongolese it may come out that way tonight regardless. LOL
I think people were hoping they'd merely drop American Soul from the set in, ya know, Canada. And/or not give it such a prominent spot in the set.

And if it's a bunch of different narratives, then why couldn't they drop the one about the US when they're in another country?

When you think of American Soul & it’s message, you could make a case that the song is speaking to other places that people appreciate that aren’t the States. So Canada and it’s culutre, political and social ways could be in the sights and appreciated by the people who are maligned and fed up with the way things are going in the states. Hence, came here (Canada/ France/ Mexico/ whereever) looking for American Soul isn’t just a ‘states’ song. Just the same, you could say immigrants left Ireland generations ago to American looking for Irish soul.

So I don’t have a beef with the song played in other countries. I say that they should drop all of the red white & Blue hoopla & fanfare with the giant American flag in the backdrop. That’s just tacky and ugghh. If they do raise a flag, make it the flag of the country they’re playing in. That’s more respectful of the host country and it might actually communicate the irony in the song better.

Last edited:
I think people were hoping they'd merely drop American Soul from the set in, ya know, Canada. And/or not give it such a prominent spot in the set.

And if it's a bunch of different narratives, then why couldn't they drop the one about the US when they're in another country?

It's about using the megaphone :lol: B likes it.

When you think of American Soul & it’s message, you could make a case that the song is speaking to other places that people appreciate that aren’t the States. So Canada and it’s culutre, political and social ways could be in the sights and appreciated by the people who are maligned and fed up with the way things are going in the states. Hence, came here (Canada/ France/ Mexico/ whereever) looking for American Soul isn’t just a ‘states’ song. Just the same, you could say immigrants left Ireland generations ago to American looking for Irish soul.

So I don’t have a beef with the song played in other countries. I say that they should drop all of the red white & Blue hoopla & fanfare with the giant American flag in the backdrop. That’s just tacky and ugghh. If they do raise a flag, make it the flag of the country they’re playing in. That’s more respectful of the host country and it might actually communicate the irony in the song better.

I could totally see them raising each country's flag during this song that would be cool. That's what U2 does. They play to the people in front of them so we relate to each other. :) However, this song is distinctly about America and immigration to America and how F'd up it is now. He is looking for the lost American soul , the one Trump pissed all over. America is the sanctuary for the rest of the world or used to be anyway.

Back
Top Bottom