Milan #4 Setlist Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will this be DIRTY DAY’S BIG NIGHT?!?!?! Just kidding... 99% kidding...

Sad that UF seems to be just one and done. Still, this is much better than the US shows. I’m jealous. Stay is my favorite!

Fly sounded good. It’s nice listening to these shows now.

Setlist so far:

Mediolanum Forum - Milan, Italy - October 16, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / The Great Dictator ----------
01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
07 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
08 - Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
09 - The Fly
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gotham Experience Remix) ----------
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo

IMO take out Lights of Home and leave RFD in a permanent spot and then you have a perfect first act.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
09 - The Fly
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gotham Experience Remix) ----------
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Acrobat
14 - You're the Best Thing About Me
15 - Summer of Love
16 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
17 - Get Out of Your Own Way
18 - New Year's Day
19 - Ode to Joy (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
20 - Landlady

IMO, probably one of if not the best show of the tour so far. Great setlist, excellent performances even with the messed up intro to Zoo Station and a great audience.

I don't know what more tweaks they might throw in going towards the finish line for this tour but the only things I would hope for is making Red Flag Day part of the set before or after Beautiful Day in addition to (hopefully just) Gloria to round up the 1st set to 10 songs again. And doing something about the encore, maybe moving Landlady into the main set somewhere, playing YTBTAM as a proper full band version and reintroducing Love Is All We Have Left (pre-record though it is) as either the opening or final song in the show.

Finito. England next...

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
09 - The Fly
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Acrobat
14 - You're the Best Thing About Me
15 - Summer of Love
16 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
17 - Get Out of Your Own Way
18 - New Year's Day
19 - Ode to Joy (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
20 - Landlady
21 - One / Invisible (snippet)
22 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
23 - 13 (There is a Light)

Thanks for the congrats! It was a good 100th performance...Crowd the first night was hyped all the way through but last night's really didn't get going until Pride but the band sounded great and Landlady sounded lovely! Oh, and Larry is definitely on board with the newly added tunes. :) That ends my tour, hopefully there will be another in 2-4 years.

I guess its always better to see them towards the end of the tour when they figure it all out

Sometimes.....

I much preferred the beginning of the Vertigo tour to the last leg. They were playing at a pretty high level right at the beginning of the tour and really shuffling the setlist around night to night and debuted some great songs. Although there was some truly iconic shows on the last leg of the Elevation tour after 9/11, I preferred the first leg of that tour as well. But yeah, the last legs of the ZooTV, Pop, 360 and the I/E and E/I tours have been much better then the beginnings of those respective tours.

I saw 2 Elevation shows in the spring, and then 1 show post 9/11. I by far preferred the earlier ones. Although mine was the South Bend show, first show after 9/11, and the band just seemed a bit OFF to me.

But typically yes it is better to see them later in the tour.

Another unusual fact; I just realized that I saw a U2 show where they only played “One” song off of Achtung Baby. (Pittsburgh 2005). That probably doesn’t happen very often.

Sometimes.....

I much preferred the beginning of the Vertigo tour to the last leg. They were playing at a pretty high level right at the beginning of the tour and really shuffling the setlist around night to night and debuted some great songs. Although there was some truly iconic shows on the last leg of the Elevation tour after 9/11, I preferred the first leg of that tour as well. But yeah, the last legs of the ZooTV, Pop, 360 and the I/E and E/I tours have been much better then the beginnings of those respective tours.

End of Vertigo in Australia New Zealand and Japan was among the best u2 recordings ever...

End of Vertigo in Australia New Zealand and Japan was among the best u2 recordings ever...

Yeah, partially because it was the high water mark for Bono’s voice post-Zoo TV.

I generally find agree about the end of tours being preferable, but the somewhat unfortunate truth is that that often is correlated with a reversion back to older material (read: often Achtung Baby) that’s popular around here...

- Elevation: Well, 9/11 changed everything, but I think the Leg 3 shows were really special
- Vertigo: Bono’s voice rocked; setlists arguably had less interesting material than earlier legs, but it was a high-quality selection that wasn’t super high on Bomb and spanned the rest of their career fairly well
- 360: 2009 and 2010 were often perceived as a bit awkward; 2011 was more popular and fairly high on early 90s content
- I+E: Dramatically better at the end than at the beginning, partially due to some really long sets
- E+I: Major perceived improvement by replacing SOI material with AB material

Back
Top Bottom