Manchester #1 Setlist Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prbiker15

Blue Crack Addict
:wave: Show should be starting in about an hour.

From what I’m seeing, no soundcheck today. They arrived a few minutes before doors opened.

Someone on my Facebook feed posted half an hour ago that ISHFWILF was soundchecked, but he wasn’t clear if it was today. I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Someone responded that it may be because Noel could pop up as a guest.

:hmm: Interesting, would be a bit strange seeing a Joshua Tree song in the set after all this time.

(I’m not counting Spanish Eyes)

They’re on.

Manchester Arena - Manchester, England - October 19, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / The Great Dictator ----------
01 - The Blackout

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria

:rockon:

He was snipping something at the end of Horses.

She got it. She wants it. She knows it.

That narrows it down to 743 possible songs.

Way too vague, Bono. :tsk:

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
07 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
08 - Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
09 - The Fly
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gotham Experience Remix) ----------
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo

Really hope I get red flag day instead of all because of you tomorrow. Then Gloria at London 1 Tuesday

Apparently tonight is (or London #1 will be) the 1,000th known performance of Pride.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
09 - The Fly
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gotham Experience Remix) ----------
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Acrobat
14 - The Showman (snippet) / You're the Best Thing About Me
15 - Summer of Love
16 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
17 - Get Out of Your Own Way

Done, 10 shows left. Happy Friday, y’all.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Gloria
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - Zoo Station
09 - The Fly
10 - Elevation
11 - Vertigo
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Acrobat
14 - The Showman (Little More Better) [snippet] / You're the Best Thing About Me
15 - Summer of Love
16 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
17 - Get Out of Your Own Way
18 - New Year's Day
19 - Ode to Joy (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
20 - One / Invisible (snippet)
21 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
22 - 13 (There is a Light)

This was my first U2 gig, having been a massive fan for the best part of 15 years.. My old man’s first U2 gig too, who got me into the band, so we were both incredibly excited!

We had fantastic seats. About 10 rows up from the floor, facing Larry’s position inside the screen, with the e-stage right in front of us! I was even more excited for the gig given the recent setlist shake up, though still a little conscious how a setlist with so many classics missing would be received. As a fan seeing them for the first time, I rather selfishly would have loved to have seen SBS, Streets etc live, but appreciate they can’t please everybody.

Anyway, it was a solid gig. It was a full house and there was a buzz in the city centre all day, with U2 back in town for the first time in 13 or so years. That said, I sadly wasn’t left blown away, or feeling that euphoric afterwards.. Perhaps sometimes you can hype up an event too much, or go into with too many expectations.. My only real gripe was the sound.. It felt somewhat suppressed and far less beefy than I was expecting, especially being so close..

I was really looking forward to the intro, the house lights going down and ‘A Beautiful World’ suddenly blaring through the PA, sparking that sudden buzz in the air.. But instead, it all felt a bit flat.. Even once Larry’s drums kicked in for The Blackout, it just didn’t feel like the gig had really taken lift off.. I wouldn’t say the quality of the sound was the issue, though Bono’s voice was lost a couple of times (e.g his call for the audience to pull their lights out for LOH was completely misheard), but just the volume or power, wasn’t really there.. You want to feel the drum and bass pumping through the arena floor into your body, triggering that instant adrenaline rush, and it never kind of happened.. The sound did improve as the gig progressed, especially the crispness, but the power was never really there..

As a result, the whole experience, whilst enjoyable, felt a little distant in the end, which is ironic given how close we were. No gripes re. the band or audience though. Both seemed very much into it.. Setlist suffered a little from the absence of some classics, especially Streets, which offers that big uplifting moment.. Feels fitting to close the whole gig with it, leaving everyone flooding out of the arena with a buzz, whereas exiting felt a little subdued with '13' closing..

A solid gig nevertheless!

Interesting to hear anyone else’s thoughts re. the sound?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom