Los Angeles #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summer is too slow but The Showman should be played every night.

I will add: the SATS-Pride transition is fucking great.

There’s 3 songs off the new album (Summer, Showman, Little Things) that I think would go over just as well as RFD if they’d drop them into the set list. U2’s late era material really isn’t that bad.

I think it really says something about how good this album is when they play 9 songs from it, and there's 3 more that I would love to hear.

I would describe myself as more than a casual fan from the 80's, but I really think the new stuff comes across great in a live setting.

I'm pretty thrilled to have seen what might be the last performance of ABOY ever.

I was into it, maybe 10 others were, and the rest looked genuinely confused.

I was happier to hear ABOY than RFD.

I think for the casual fan, the latter is probably more accurate. To say most people were genuinely confused by a single that charted #4 (UK) #1 (Canada) and almost cracked the Hot 100 in the US from a hugely popular album of the year doesn't make much sense.

That being said, I would definitely prefer to hear RFD live because it's a new song, though I don't hold it as the level of second coming song that many here view it as. That doesn't say anything about ABOY, which I thought was great live on the Vertigo tour and seemed really energetic on this tour.

I loved that SOI stretch in 2015, but it kinda tired now.

I was very disappointed to see they kept it completely intact. I was expecting a new centerpiece for this tour, with reminders of the last one (sort of like the album itself), and for that main part that interacts with the video board to be nearly identical was very disappointing.

REST OF THE SHOW COOKED THOUGH.

Also, I'm sick to death of hearing about "casual" fans, and won't except it as an excuse anymore after last night. Bono fucked up SATS, and the crowd completely took over. I realize it's a single, but it was not even close to a hit, and it's not a standard, and you could definitely hear the crowd pick Bono up when he flubbed the words to start, and then did it a SECOND time. PEOPLE KNOW THE SONGS. Stop using it as an excuse not to play them.

Also, I'm sick to death of hearing about "casual" fans, and won't except it as an excuse anymore after last night. Bono fucked up SATS, and the crowd completely took over. I realize it's a single, but it was not even close to a hit, and it's not a standard, and you could definitely hear the crowd pick Bono up when he flubbed the words to start, and then did it a SECOND time. PEOPLE KNOW THE SONGS. Stop using it as an excuse not to play them.

I was surprised at how many people sang along with Staring at the Sun at the San Jose shows. I was next to the stage with other uber fans, but it sounded like a good portion of the arena was singing along. A lot more than The Best Thing.

I had the same experience at this show that I had at I&E, it seemed like everyone knew just about everything (except maybe Acrobat). I find it just as surprising that people know the new stuff as rarities. I don't know why U2 would think they're trying to avoid boring a casual audience and then play 12 songs from their two newest albums and NOTHING from The Joshua Tree.

That take on The Best Thing IS boring as shit, though. I can appreciate a sparser version of something but that ain't the song to deconstruct. Total pee break.

Speaking of full band Best Thing, is there a live full band version from TJT tour that they really nailed it on? I've always loved the song and it could be such a happy/uplifting part of a show with some energy injected into it.

Last edited:

I heard that too. I wish he picked up where we left off instead of starting over. Would have been a lovely moment.

This set list just really continues to leave me less than enthused. Cool they’re playing acrobat, red flag day and are seeming to be keeping gloria for the time being but other than that...

Last edited:
That take on The Best Thing IS boring as shit, though. I can appreciate a sparser version of something but that ain't the song to deconstruct. Total pee break.

Yup. I actually really like that song. It’s a bit cheesy, but fun and an infectious groove. But, this version is indeed boring as shit. It’s too slow and Bono’s delivery is like a creepy lounge singer.

Report from the floor: that was one helluva show. GA in the Edge-Side “armpit” of the e stage gave some great views. They sounded fantastic and the crowd around me was really into it. Of the 4 shows I’ve been to, this may have been my favorite. It’s a full and complete thematic experience. Hell, even the Acrobat-Best Thing transition worked. The new songs sounded great (even American Soul!). SATS with the Charlottesville images was the most powerful moment for me. One critique is I think they should be playing Streets in COBL’s slot. And stick something before One in the encore. Otherwise, I retract my previous setlist complaints (including recycling the iNNOCENCE suite). Sure it may stay static and this is boring for us at home, but the show has a huge impact live. Keep it up boys. No legacy acts here.

Oh, and #something

Good to hear it!

So it seems like the best spot in GA is closer to the e-stage while maybe still having a view of the main stage/screen?

Good to hear it!

So it seems like the best spot in GA is closer to the e-stage while maybe still having a view of the main stage/screen?

I loved my spot, but there were two downsides:
1. Main stage could be hard to see at times. For most of the night I could find a window, but I never got a good view of all four of them playing there
2. Could not see Bono inside the screen on Cedarwood Road since I was 2-4 people away from the catwalk. I really didn't care, but thought I'd mention it.

Back
Top Bottom