Las Vegas #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T-Mobile Arena - Las Vegas, NV - May 12, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / MRI ----------
01 - Love is All We Have Left
02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
08 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
09 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
11 - Raised by Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
12 - Until the End of the World
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
13 - Elevation
14 – Vertigo / The Jean Genie (snippet)
15 - Desire
16 – Sympathy for the Devil (snippet) / Acrobat
17 - You're the Best Thing About Me
18 - Staring at the Sun
19 - This is Not America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
20 - Get Out of Your Own Way
21 - American Soul
22 - City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
23 - One

I swear, if the only "change" from last night is dropping one song...

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
13 - Elevation
15 - Desire
18 - Staring at the Sun
21 - American Soul
23 - One / Invisible (snippet)
24 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way

i'm really stunned that they aren't playing little things. it's the best song they've made in a decade.

Nah, they're playing the best song they've done in a decade, Cedarwood Road.

cedarwood road is also one of the top 5 songs of the 2010s. if they're going to play so many new songs they should play both.

Good to see that the crowd loved that one.

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
13 - Elevation
15 - Desire
18 - Staring at the Sun
21 - American Soul
23 - One / Invisible (snippet)
24 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
25 - 13 (There is a Light)

This is presumably it.

The encore needs to begin with something like WGRYWH rather than a fucking speech, then One, then anything really, and Love Is Bigger dead last. The crowd chanting the "ooh ooh ooh" tonight would be a big communal moment to end on.

Damn. I thought following the setlists this tour would be more interesting.

I guess not.

Wow. U2 might not shake up the sets all that much night to night, but even by their standards Las Vegas got some pretty shit variation between shows.

Kinda glad I'm not going to be around to cover most of the shows in June. You'd start to see some very bored or sarcastic tweets from U2gigs.

Of course, knowing my luck, that's when they'll start shuffling stuff around.

It's annoying, because sure there's a pretty tight storyline, but there was a tight one in 2015 too and they still tinkered with it a bit night to night. And both times the second set from about four or five songs in has felt like an afterthought! It's ridiculous that on these tours they can absolutely fucking nail it for the first 15 or so tunes, and then botch the end of the main set and the encore. If U2 used to be bloody good at one thing, it was coming up with strong main set conclusions and encores.

Kinda glad I'm not going to be around to cover most of the shows in June. You'd start to see some very bored or sarcastic tweets from U2gigs.

but most people only see the show once right? :lol:

That encore needs an intervention.

I really can't believe how many comments I've heard from audience members near Mixlr streamers along the lines of "is that it?" "surely there's more?" "are they really done?"

Never once on a previous tour have I heard that. It's always praise, or "what's the best way to get out of this place?"

i think it's great they're daring to do something different and artistic, with a subtle start and end...

it's sad that people don't get the subtlety unless they spell it out or hit them in the face with a brick or something

things are dumbed down enough everywhere right now - it's nice to let people use their bloody brains a bit and figure stuff out :crack:

It's not a theatre production, it's a rock concert. At least end on an uptempo note.

It's not a theatre production, it's a rock concert. At least end on an uptempo note.

why?

is there a rule saying you can't end a concert on a contemplative note? music covers every feeling and emotion, each one valid

I get the narrative point of view but... this is a little bit too much of a Broadway production instead of U2's. I'm OK with very well rehearsed and theatrical performances but I hope the band doesn't forget that it's all about music - even for the new songs I'm very skeptical this is the way they will conquer the audience. I think there's a huge distance between the band and the crowd at some point - take the Blackout as the biggest example, instead of a major "going up" song, the arenas are just flat looking at a screen where the band is hidden most part of the time. Is it cool as a concept? For sure. But it's not a rock show.

The intro lipsync is awkward and they're not actually playing Lights of Home. They are both examples of narrative winning over music, and while both are very interesting parts from an artistic perspective, they are just embarassing as people are expecting the band to actually showcase their songs, live.

The encore needs a complete overhaul. Little Things is probably the only SOE song that fits that part of the show, for the rest they should play 3-4 powerful tunes from their portfolio and end the night on a high note. 13 is a very interesting piece of art but it's their worst closer ever.

On the negative side my last comment is for accoustic arrangements... I know this has been discussed for years and years but with Bono unable to play guitar, either they bring someone else to provide an extra layer or they should just drop accoustic arrangements. I don't know if they have songs that actually sound good with just one accoustic guitar - let's not compare current Staring at the sun version with Popmart's. And for some other songs this is also true. And please, don't play The Best Thing this way - I have seen some TJT videos where The Best Thing was actually well received and now in some countries this song still gets some airplay, let's not waste it this way!!

On the other side I think they are still gaining confidence with the show and perhaps there will be more spontaneity in the future. The first half of the show is quite strong with Red Flag Day in there (and also with All Because of You, hope they don't drop it completely) if we except Lights of Home and the 2nd set until Acrobat is also very cool. And they are playing really well, I think! American Soul is working really well live - I'm not a fan of the song.

Last edited:
you will hate this Ax, but the hub has just informed me that they did similar in Birmingham back on the Elevation tour, ending with Grace (not the band playing, but over the sound system after the band exited the stage, but which gave a peaceful vibe at the end) - he could be wrong, but he's pretty sure - i was there too but i reckon my brain must have melted or something post-gig :lol:

Back
Top Bottom