Las Vegas #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numb played against a Twitter feed or 24hr news cycle footage of the current socio-political situation in the US would be a great middle finger.

I really can't believe how many comments I've heard from audience members near Mixlr streamers along the lines of "is that it?" "surely there's more?" "are they really done?"

Never once on a previous tour have I heard that. It's always praise, or "what's the best way to get out of this place?"

If you're in a seat it's very clear that the show is done but it's confusing af in GA because half the floor can't see Bono leaving the stage.

I think doing a JT30 style encore would benefit them wonders. Innocence and Experience the fuck out of the mainset, and then do a 6-7 song encore of familiar hits to keep the energy up. You get it both ways; the Broadway, contemplativeness, and, you know, not ending on a confusing bummer that 99% don't expect.

This is a great idea.

I just realized that no one is talking about Zooropa in any way, The band should at least play Daddy's gonna Pay, Some days are better than others, or stay after SATS.
Considering Zooropa was played at most or every 2011 show, I say we have nothing to complain about.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say that Love Is Blindness wasn't an effective closer.

MOS is one of my 3 favorite songs by the band this millennium but I thought it was a terrible choice for a closer. It should have been the centerpiece of the show, not put at the end. And I'm not sure what 360 shows you went to, but at all the ones I saw it went over like a lead balloon.

That tour could have been so much better, considering they botched the opener as well. Breathe never should have been in that slot.

Well, Can't Help Falling in Love With You was the closer, not Love Is Blindness. yes?

I don't remember how I felt about MOS as a closer when I was at the show, but for the Rose Bowl concert, which I've seen a dozen or more times, I thought it worked great.

Yes I agree on Breathe. It was my favorite song on NLOTH, but it didn't seem to work as an opener. On paper I'm sure it looked great, but didn't translate somehow. But no major complaints.

I just realized that no one is talking about Zooropa in any way, The band should at least play Daddy's gonna Pay, Some days are better than others, or stay after SATS.

well they did play Stay and Zooropa in later legs of 360 tour so I don't think they're not that desperate to bring those back.

I think 13 is a terrific song (it's the SOE song where Bono nails the "write as if you are dead" perspective; the last verse is arguably the thesis of SOE), but am skeptical of how well it would work in an arena setting. It's just so intimate. Excited to see first hand in a couple days.

Last edited:
Well, Can't Help Falling in Love With You was the closer, not Love Is Blindness. yes?

The zoo tv ending of love is blindness/cant help falling in love is always gonna right up there for me.

Worth noting that Love Is Blindness was actually the closer on both indoor legs of ZooTV - though Can't Help Falling was the outro music played over the PA after the band had left the stage. It was only once the tour moved outdoors for the Outside Broadcast stadium legs that Bono and Edge began performing the Elvis classic live as the final song.

Hoping it doesn't take them quite that long to consider adding some type of coda to the current setlist, but what do I know?

Worth noting that Love Is Blindness was actually the closer on both indoor legs of ZooTV - though Can't Help Falling was the outro music played over the PA after the band had left the stage. It was only once the tour moved outdoors for the Outside Broadcast stadium legs that Bono and Edge began performing the Elvis classic live as the final song.

I guess I've brainwashed myself by watching the ZOOTV Outside broadcast from Australia too many time! Ha!

Funny enough, before they hit the stadiums with that tour I caught the 2nd arena show in Miami and while walking with friends after the show we were all singing Can't Help Falling In Love and laughing how we were singing Elvis and not U2, that THAT was the song stuck in our heads.

I feel the same when the band talk about WGRYWH.

Played at the first show only, then dropped. After playing it, Bono says "Thanks for your patience".

Left off the best of 90-00, and didn't even get any of its b-sides included on the b-sides disc, even when every other single of that decade did. Even IGWSHA got a remix on there.

Larry saying the song makes him cringe, because he feels that he screwed it up.

Never been a regular on any tour. Always dropped sooner or later.

A fan requests it on the Vertigo tour (I think it was the Vertigo tour anyway), saying he will play on the keyboard with them. Bono brings him up on stage and asks if he will play ANGEL OF HARLEM instead. When the fan insists on Horses, Bono accepts, and then says "what key is it in"? After playing Horses, Bono says to the fan, "You played it better than us".

Also another time on the Vertigo tour, after playing Horses, Bono says "That's the second time ever we've played that tune". What?!?!?!?! After all the zoo-tv performances?? Why does he lie?

To this day, rarely played. Sure it's played once in a while, but it's always dropped in favour of other songs that they've played a million times before.

To say that Horses was the 5th single from its respective album, it was quite a successful single. It was one of their only top 40 US hits. It may have tanked in the UK, but so did MW and EBTTRT...

While I've always loved WGRYWH in pretty much all of it's incarnations, I do understand why the band feels it doesn't work live. It really does sort of plod along in a live setting. I'm not sure where Larry is on record saying the song makes him cringe, but the fault if there is any to give lays with the lack of drive in the percussion. I feel like the single version is an improvement in this regards though.

I remember reading somewhere that U2 felt that the final version just didn't capture the spark that the early demos had...I tend to agree as I feel that the Kindergarten version is the superior version out there. It has a passion, drive, effortlessness and spark that the album version doesn't have.

Love Is All We Have Left

The Blackout

Lights Of Home

I Will Follow

Gloria/The Electric Co

Red Flag Day

The Ocean

Iris (Hold Me Close)

Cedarwood Road

Raised By Wolves

Until the End of the World

Please

(Intermission)

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

Vertigo

Desire

Acrobat

Fast Cars

Staring at the Sun*acoustic

Pride (In the Name of Love)

You're The Best Thing

American Soul

City of Blinding Lights

Beautiful Day

encore(s):

Discotheque

One

Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way

Red Flag Day was not played at night 2.

I remember reading somewhere that U2 felt that the final version just didn't capture the spark that the early demos had...I tend to agree as I feel that the Kindergarten version is the superior version out there. It has a passion, drive, effortlessness and spark that the album version doesn't have.

I think the single version was markedly better than the album version.

I would love for them to bring WGRYWH back. In fact I'm going to the Atlanta show where I think they played the best live version to date- 7 wonderful minutes long back in March 5, 92. This version had the best Edge solo for this song hands down. If you like this song- do yourself a favor and cherish this rendition . Pay attention to 36:00-37:50 and tell me you wouldn't have killed to have experienced that live! I can only dream to hear that in person.

Last edited:
I would love for them to bring WGRYWH back. In fact I'm going to the Atlanta show where I think they played the best live version to date- 7 wonderful minutes long back in March 5, 92. This version had the best Edge solo for this song hands down. If you like this song- do yourself a favor and cherish this rendition . Pay attention to 36:00-37:50 and tell me you wouldn't have killed to have experienced that live! I can only dream to hear that in person.

That performance is absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing. I hadn’t heard it before.

I genuinely don’t understand why the band think it doesn’t work well live. The Atlanta performance was really special, but all of the 1992 performances were excellent. The Vertigo electric performances were really good too - Amsterdam in particular is up there with the best of them. And Tulsa was really really good; I’d kill to hear it live (certainly above the alternative of nothing replacing it!).

Wow was this a great version of Horses, you're right about Edge's solo too. This is probably not the place to ask this but wouldn't it be great if there was a thread for all the best live versions of songs... Like this one, I would have never heard this unless it was brought up here.

Only two songs have been performed on the opening night of a tour, and then not reappeared for the rest of its duration: MLK on JT30, and Like a Song on War. Like a Song is the only song whose sole performance ever came on the opening night of a tour (and, to be honest, I'm not sure we can rule out it having been played the second night, for which we do not possess a complete setlist and I have never seen a comment stating definitively that Like a Song was not performed).

WGRYWH is more likely than not to return, on that basis - especially with 4-night stands coming in Europe. Remember, on Vertigo, it missed five shows between its first and second performances. By that pattern, it should return today at LA 1. :wink:

But don't let me stop anyone from panicking.

Adjusted for inflation, panicking is a mild anxiety attack

didnt they play Miracle Drug in 2015 on the opening show and never played that song again for the rest of the tour?

Back
Top Bottom