Cologne #2 Setlist Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prbiker15

Blue Crack Addict
Show’s starting.

I’ll be joining in a few minutes. Anyone care to share Mixlrs, Periscopes, etc.?

u2gigs on mixlr

i have a handful of earlier 2018 shows on my phone, but i still tune in to hear the same show live.

when i fly through my data plan, i'm sending them the bill.

RFD sounds different today. not sure if they added that little bit yesterday. still a meh song.

de32cc74f5a20c808c41abee81836d35.gif

LANXESS Arena - Köln, Germany - September 5, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / The Great Dictator ----------
01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Red Flag Day
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
07 - Iris (Hold Me Close)

Setlist hasn't leaked, but it probably doesn't mean anything.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Red Flag Day
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
08 - Cedarwood Road
09 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
10 - Until the End of the World
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------

I’m not a huge setlist complainer most of the time. But after the level of variation we have had since the Elevation Tour, it’s very strange that this tour is so rigid. The 2017 tour had a static setlist by necessity, basically JT and Greatest Hits. But there’s really no reason why they can’t mix this up a little bit.

I liked this tour when I saw it in Chicago. I liked it a lot, one of my favorite U2 shows. But I don’t feel the need to see it twice.

I’m not a huge setlist complainer most of the time. But after the level of variation we have had since the Elevation Tour, it’s very strange that this tour is so rigid. The 2017 tour had a static setlist by necessity, basically JT and Greatest Hits. But there’s really no reason why they can’t mix this up a little bit.

I liked this tour when I saw it in Chicago. I liked it a lot, one of my favorite U2 shows. But I don’t feel the need to see it twice.

Funny thing is, with the 3.2 shows I saw on this tour (for now), I already got more different U2 songs than during the 8 shows of TJT30 Tour.
But yeah, a bit more variation (and slightly longer setlists) would be preferable.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Red Flag Day
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
08 - Cedarwood Road
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
11 - Elevation
12 - Vertigo / The Jean Genie (snippet)
13 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
14 - Hall of Mirrors (snippet) / Acrobat
15 - You're the Best Thing About Me
16 - Summer of Love

i'm not a big fan of this summer of love song, but it's cool they are playing something new.

wish they would have had it in them to play this and EBTTRT earlier in the year.

he is really wimping out on pride.

Pride had some good ol' preaching. :rolleyes:

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Red Flag Day
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
08 - Cedarwood Road
11 - Elevation
16 - Summer of Love
17 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
18 - Get Out of Your Own Way
19 - New Year's Day

Paris next.

01 - The Blackout
02 - Lights of Home
03 - I Will Follow
04 - Red Flag Day
05 - Beautiful Day
06 - The Ocean
08 - Cedarwood Road
11 - Elevation
16 - Summer of Love
17 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
18 - Get Out of Your Own Way
19 - New Year's Day
20 - Ode to Joy (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights
---------- Women of the World ----------
21 - One
22 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
23 - 13 (There is a Light)

dangit, we could have kept it to one page. way to go, man.

4 nights in Paris... surely SOMETHING different will happen?

Oh well, I’m sure everyone there tonight had a great time.

I just really think this show would benefit from having WGRYWH at the beginning of the encore. They nailed it in Tulsa, not sure why it was dropped. That encore just BEGS to have something a little more upbeat than One to kick things off!

Also, I think they were wrong to drop RBW. That song into UTEOTW was an epic combination compared to what they do now. If they felt it was too many new songs, drop Iris instead... IMO, of course.

Also, I think a 2nd, shorter encore is needed. Just come out after “13” and do a quick old school rocker like OOC, Electric Co or Gloria, then end with something epic like Bad or 40.

4 nights in Paris... surely SOMETHING different will happen?

Oh well, I’m sure everyone there tonight had a great time.

Not really, this was the first U2 show I genuinely found boring. Looks like tonight was even the worst of the tour songlist wise. I even came into this tour not looking at any setlist whatsoever (I wanted to try something new) for the first time ever, I only saw that facebook clip of them rehearsing WGRYRH so I expected at least some fireworks. I was so excited, Little did I know they ditched it after one time, making the encore a snoozefest. Like someone above said, the encore _needs_ it. Rest felt like a rehash of the first I/E tour, but that at least had the exitement of Bad vs One in the encore, so going 2 days felt like it mattered.

Cedarwood-Iris-Sunday felt like watching a replay of the tour a few years ago, even the same graphics on screen, even with ommitting the entire Joshua Tree they couldn't find some spots for something 'rare' or unique other than Acrobat, and Acrobat cannot carry or make/brake an entire show the way Bad or 40 could.

Discoball coming down? Surely something like Discotheque right? Nope, again the remix of EBTTRT....I mean come on.

Hope something will happen in Amsterdam, I go there twice in a month, but looking back at the other setlists now, my god. Always feels strange to complain about my favourite live band but this show did absolutely nothing for me tonight.

Well at least he didn't have many long and drawn-out speeches about africa or refugees this time, that was the only positive.

Last edited:
I agree that Discotheque should replace EBTTRT. I think U2 lean on AB too much.

next tour, i'm going to see them opening night before they cut all the songs

I’m seeing them next month in London but gone are the days I would aim for 2-3 shows just to see some rotation

The lack of comment here says it all , this has evolved into one of their laziest tour ever. Gone is the spirit that made the late 80’s / early 90’s going to a u2 gig special . I usually be buzzing about next month but this time feels like I going to mass on a Sunday .

I think also as I get older I’m just less mesmerized by things like music and concerts. I remember during Elevation and Popmart concerts I was completely awestruck. Ever since the 360 tour, I find myself just feeling like I’m watching a friend’s band play or something. I still really enjoy U2’s music and concerts, but I just am not capable of reproducing that feeling that I had as a teenager. I am this way with other bands as well.

I actually briefly “met” Adam Clayton after the 2011 East Lansing show. His car was sitting in traffic, and he had his window down as I walked by. The whole thing happened really quick. I just kinda waved and said “hey Adam! Great show!” He kindly smiled and nodded at me, and I kept walking to my car. Myself in my teens - early 20’s would’ve been all “WE’RE NOT WORTHY!!!”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom