Chicago #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
United Center - Chicago, IL - May 23, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / MRI ----------
01 - Love is All We Have Left
02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
08 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
09 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
11 - William Blake's Introduction to Songs of Experience (snippet) / Until the End of the World
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
12 - Elevation
13 - Vertigo / It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) [snippet]
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
16 - You're the Best Thing About Me
17 - Staring at the Sun

With the exception of Love is Bigger (side note: the acoustic version they played on Ellen was great and I think I'd prefer that over the backing trackathon of the current live incarnation), they're basically playing the wrong new songs in the back half.

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
11 - William Blake's Introduction to Songs of Experience (snippet) / Until the End of the World
---------- INTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
18 - Pride (In the Name of Love)

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
19 - Get Out of Your Own Way

Get Out and American Soul should for sure be in the first 7 songs of the show if you're doing them. Not the end.

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
20 - American Soul
21 - City of Blinding Lights

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
20 - American Soul
---------- Women of the World ----------
22 - One

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
20 - American Soul
22 - One / Invisible (snippet)
23 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way

02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Red Flag Day
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
09 - Cedarwood Road
12 - Elevation
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
17 - Staring at the Sun
20 - American Soul
22 - One / Invisible (snippet)
23 - Love is Bigger Than Anything in It's Way
24 - 13 (There is a Light)

Damn, this setlist is incredibly static.

Ahhhhhhh AHHHHHH

They’re supporting practically all of their new material and they’ve ditched over half of their warhorses. They’re playing ACROBAT like every freaking night and have otherwise dusted off some material that hasn’t been played in a while.

What more does everyone want?!? Bono to start doing backflips on a bicycle while setting a new record for donkey kong whilst performing Elvis Presley and America while eating America at the same time?!!?

Sounded like a Walk On snippet there at the end of 13, "home, that's where the hurt is".

Ahhhhhhh AHHHHHH

They’re supporting practically all of their new material and they’ve ditched over half of their warhorses. They’re playing ACROBAT like every freaking night and have otherwise dusted off some material that hasn’t been played in a while.

What more does everyone want?!? Bono to start doing backflips on a bicycle while setting a new record for donkey kong whilst performing Elvis Presley and America while eating America at the same time?!!?

Yeah nah. First, none of this changes the fact this is a very static nightly setlist, more static than any arena tour since the first two legs of ZooTV in 1992.

Second, the fact they're playing Acrobat doesn't make up for the fact the second half of the main set and the encore have some really big problems with pacing, structure, and song selection.

Third, as far as warhorses go, their top three most performed songs - now all with 900+ performances to their name - are all in the setlist. But I do take your point on this to some extent, since they are only doing five of their ten most-played songs (and one of those, NYD, has only been done once). That is indeed remarkable.

And, speaking personally, the set blows (I absolutely do not want to hear a show where half the set is SOI/SOE, and I doubt many people do) and right now, if I had tickets to multiple shows, I would probably sell them and just try to go to the one show most likely to get Gloria.

Just got back from the show, laying in my hotel bed. Will write more tomorrow, but that was at least in my top 3 U2 shows. American Soul actually kicked ass! I totally had a shameless fanboy moment as they played Acrobat!

Yes I’d have loved WHRYWH, Gloria and many other songs, but I thought the show I saw was great!

Yeah nah. First, none of this changes the fact this is a very static nightly setlist, more static than any arena tour since the first two legs of ZooTV in 1992.

Second, the fact they're playing Acrobat doesn't make up for the fact the second half of the main set and the encore have some really big problems with pacing, structure, and song selection.

Third, as far as warhorses go, their top three most performed songs - now all with 900+ performances to their name - are all in the setlist. But I do take your point on this to some extent, since they are only doing five of their ten most-played songs (and one of those, NYD, has only been done once). That is indeed remarkable.

And, speaking personally, the set blows (I absolutely do not want to hear a show where half the set is SOI/SOE, and I doubt many people do) and right now, if I had tickets to multiple shows, I would probably sell them and just try to go to the one show most likely to get Gloria.

Well it’s static, but I’m giving them an allowance since it’s not the same old shit static.

And trust me, I entirely agree with the criticisms otherwise. The structure was mediocre and the choice of songs was... well, some of that shit just flat out sucks. The cinematics were weak... some of their weakest. No fun lights. No colors. Not a lot on the display screen. Seems like an i+e rehash with less stuff. The AR thing didn’t work and was dumb.

Bottom line for me was that I knew this was what would happen if they “mixed it up.” That’s why I’m railing against the complaints. Bring back all the war horses. Support only the good songs off the new album. Give me the same shit over and over again and just do more tours like jt30. I love U2 but they don’t have to be relevant.

Just got back from the show, laying in my hotel bed. Will write more tomorrow, but that was at least in my top 3 U2 shows. American Soul actually kicked ass! I totally had a shameless fanboy moment as they played Acrobat!

Yes I’d have loved WHRYWH, Gloria and many other songs, but I thought the show I saw was great!

Agreed!
Such a fun show. I said to wife tonight that, on paper, thats a pretty lame set, but man oh man it’s a great show.

I couldn’t give a fart about Elevashun or Vertigo, but that shot rox live.

Best Thing was infinitely better tonight than last night.

Blackout is balls.

Acrobat is molten hot noise.

IMG_3641.JPG

Precisely.

As it stands, I have tickets to Boston 2. Knowing myself and my family/friends- we are a long line of U2 fans going back to 1980- I will find a way in to Boston 1 and Mohegan Sun. However, this set list has put to bed any ideas I had about travelling to multiple cities to catch shows like I've done on 360, I&E and JT 30. I was in NYC twice, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, San Diego and Montreal.

The fact that it's static has helped me make the decision- it is highly unlikely to change after 3 2 night stands in the same city are in the books. Chicago almost always gets something special/rare. Or at least better than average rotation.

The set they are doing now has 4 main problems:

1) Way too many SOI/SOE songs for the money they're charging. I love both albums- but neither have hits or are known by the general public. Anyone who thinks people are paying $350 to hear these songs is kidding themselves.

They are also emphasizing the wrong new songs. Raised by Wolves always kicks ass live? That's ok, boot it but leave the clipped version of Iris in. Need some innocence songs that would go well with the experience theme? Keep wishing, we're not getting the Troubles. Get out of your own way is the definition of unremarkable and a waste of space. I don't do bathroom breaks, but this may be a reason to start. Little Things and Showman, two songs that are central to the experience narrative, haven't been touched. Red Flag Day only sporadically played. All while Get out and a practically canned version of Lights of home have starring roles.

2) No rotation whatsoever. Desire is great- much better than the neutered crap version they were doing from Elevation to 360. Elevation brings the house down. Awesome. This was true on I&E as well and they were still rotated in and out. I'm happy Staring at the sun is back, but it doesn't need to be tied so strongly to its political theme and made a non negotiable staple. I have no problem with politics-if you do, you're into the wrong band, but rather with somehow finding a way to put every song in this set in concrete.

3) Performances/arrangements. I am not a fan of lip sync Love is all, canned strings Lights of home and acoustic Best thing. In the first two cases, it takes away from the live experience and doesn't establish the right energy level for the start of the show. In the case of the best thing, it strips the song of any interesting musical elements.

4) It gets shorter every night.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with everything you guys are saying (Axver and U2387).

Still, when they hit it they sound amazing. I really enjoyed myself at the CHI shows and I’m so glad I went. Maybe it’s just the right thing at the right time or something.

Sure, there’s a something fair to be said about the disappointment in how static the setlist is, but the PERFORMANCE was awesome.

This isn’t how I followed tours in the past. Back in the day I’d see a setlist when I was looking up a bootleg to download. Sure, I’d pick some show up if it had ASOH or God Part II or One Tree Hill or The Fly, but ultimately I was most interested in finding the best PERFORMANCES and sound quality.

Now we’re just listening on streams w limited sound/visual capabilities and cataloguing the titles played and snippets snippeted. It’s a great show. These formats don’t do it justice.

Anyway, I know I’ll be looking for a bootleg with The Best Thing from tonight, because it was much better than last night.

Sure, there’s a something fair to be said about the disappointment in how static the setlist is, but the PERFORMANCE was awesome.

We’re on the same page. The show is an incredible live experience, but the static setlist means it’s boring to follow remotely and there’s little reason to go multiple nights. But that’s no reason to miss out on one spectacular show.

Because crowds love it?

I think that sentiment holds true for Vertigo. I don’t like that song all that much but I don’t contest it being played live. It’s bouncing and great for a crowd. Elevation... sure it gets people moving a little bit. But the atmosphere I feel at shows when it plays is more like “this is recognizable!” I think it can be replaced.

Elevation and Vertigo are far from my top 20 U2 songs but they should stay in the set. At least it gives 2 reasons To jump.

Main complains are them dropping Raised by Wolves and playing either Gloria or RFD. What a waste.

2nd complain is that the last 6 or 7 songs of the show are sleeping pills.

Glad i only go To 1 show.... (can t believe i am actually writing that )

Back
Top Bottom