Will there be another US leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rival9500

The Fly
I’m waiting to buy Philly tickets on StubHub until closer to. I’m hoping another leg gets added before these shows. Has anyone heard any rumors about more dates getting announced?

Let us fucking hope not.

Signed,
Everywhere that hasn't had three tours in the past four calendar years

i think they will add some more North American dates later - skipping Toronto it's the only way not having a Toronto date now makes any sense.

Oh no, the hardship, Toronto skipped on one tour!

My Kiwi heart weeps for the Torontonians.

It is VERY unlikely that they’ll add another US leg. They’ve pretty much tapped out the demand in the major US cities. A 2nd leg would have to be a bunch of single night shows in places like Portland, SLC, etc.

I think they need to hit up Australia and pacific Asia in early 2019 and then go away for a couple years.

It seems like a safe bet that they would, BUT .... I take no chances these days. Either because this is an unusual situation (IE, JT already having hit much of the US in a short span), or just that they're getting old, and you just never know.

So from here on out, I'm not waiting for future legs. If they're coming to the US, I'm flying to see them at least once if they don't play in my corner of the country.

Rival 9500, the OP, you can probably find something decent on stubhub at a reduced price the closer we get to the Philly shows. If that doesn’t work, DC isn’t a far drive from Philly, and that 2nd show has plenty of tickets available.

Europe definitely needs another run through. They could do an entire leg only playing cities that didn’t get a show in 2017-18.

North America could probably support another leg, but they’d have to lower those prices!

Yeah I'd fully expect another European tour. If they decide to go to stadiums for Australia and the Pacific, you can be assured they'd also do a stadium leg in Europe to make development of the staging worth their while.

But I'd think going to stadiums would rule out the US. They've played all their main stadium markets at least once in 2017-18, and most of them twice, not to mention also playing them in 2015. The single-night cities that they've skipped over this year are the sort they'd hit in arenas, not stadiums.

I don't think another US tour would sell all that well. They barely sold out the US dates on the JT30... so they're getting by with what they can for now.

However, if they DID do a 2019 leg, it would probably be supporting Songs of Ascent which may be them on their way out.

Thank you! I’m close to being fully convinced to go stubhub for Philly night 2. I want to wait until closer to just to make sure Acrobat and WGRYWH are still in the set.

Last edited:
I don't think another US tour would sell all that well. They barely sold out the US dates on the JT30... so they're getting by with what they can for now.

However, if they DID do a 2019 leg, it would probably be supporting Songs of Ascent which may be them on their way out.

Eh, I doubt we'll see them here next year.

My best guess for how things will go is that they do a non-US/Europe run of this tour in 2019, take a break for a while, and then come back with one final huge, worldwide stadium tour to cap it all off.

I don’t see them stopping until there’s a death or an ailment that prevents them from doing this. The Stones and Bruce have already paved the way for stadium rock in their 60’s and 70’s.

I don’t see them stopping until there’s a death or an ailment that prevents them from doing this. The Stones and Bruce have already paved the way for stadium rock in their 60’s and 70’s.

That’s been my view, too. If they didn’t really enjoy it, they would have stopped already.

Here's what another tour leg could possibly consist of;

Vancouver
Edmonton
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Toronto
Toronto
Perhaps Ottawa or Quebec City

Portland
Salt Lake City
Sacramento
LA area
LA area (the sheer amount of population concentration should justify these shows, right?)
Denver
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Chicago- Just 1
Detroit
COLUMBUS!!! :hyper::applaud::wink:
Albany
NYC
NYC
Boston- Just 1
Philly- Just 1
Baltimore or Charlottesville
Raleigh or Charlotte
Miami
Somewhere like Jacksonville, Birmingham AL or Columbia, SC?
Atlanta #2 (probably should've had a 2nd show this year)
Dallas
Houston (or maybe another Texas city like San Antonio or Austin, both have large arenas)

Some combination of shows in:
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Mexico City

Point is, they COULD milk another NA leg out of it, but they would be playing mostly single nighters. This would be absolutely scraping the bottom of the demand pool, it'd take a few years for demand to recover. Prices would need to be reduced somewhat probably.

I'm worried that might actually happen, knowing this band.

Although too many shows in Canada. They keep forgetting there's a country up there.

I'm worried that might actually happen, knowing this band.

Although too many shows in Canada. They keep forgetting there's a country up there.
I don't think any reasonable person would say that they should and/or need to come back to North America next year (except maybe a few cannucks).

Alas... this is U2.

If they expand the tour into 2019, they'll come back to North America.

Here's what another tour leg could possibly consist of;

Edmonton
Edmonton

LA area
LA area (the sheer amount of population concentration should justify these shows, right?)

Somewhere like Jacksonville, Birmingham AL or Columbia, SC?
You just love pushing Edmonton. No way they sell out 2 shows there. 1 max.

And LA has shown that the population size does not equal demand.
They fare much better in some smaller markets, LA is an ambivalent city when it comes to rock tours (which seems crazy), no way they should go back there again on this tour.

Jacksonville?? No shot.

I love pushing Edmonton? I never have been and most likely never will go to Edmonton. But, most arena tours stop in Edmonton, especially since they built a brand new arena, and many acts do 2 shows there. It’s a bigger market than most think. Maybe 1 show? Whatever, who gives a fuck?

And maybe they skip LA altogether. It’s possible. San Diego has an arena, albeit a very old and kind of small arena.

I think U2 need to return to Jacksonville! Take back the city from Popmart!! They could probably pack more people into an arena there than what they had at a stadium in popmart.

I’m not trying to predict the future, here. I’m just basing this off what U2 has done in the past, and what other band’s tour schedules look like. I agree places like JAX, Des Moines and Boise are probably not going to get shows, but then again this year we’re getting Tulsa and Omaha, so who knows?

Back
Top Bottom