Which SOE songs do you think will not make the setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2AlwaysForever

The Fly
It's tough because I want to hear everyone live over and over again... but we are following a band w a catalog of greatness too big, my guesses:

Red Flag Day
Landlady
Summer of love

What are your thoughts?

I reckon it's a safe bet Love Is All We Have Left won't be played. Though that would be notable in itself, because usually the first song on an album gets played frequently - and, in many cases, is one of the most-played songs from the album (IWF, Gloria, SBS, Streets, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and The Miracle are all either the most-played song from their album, or not far off).

I also don't expect 13.

The rest are good chances. The fact it's an arena tour makes me believe that even those that aren't in the regular setlist will get the occasional outing. The band always work through more songs from an album on an arena leg than when in stadiums.

1 and 13 aren't true songs, more like bookends to the real album. Lights of Home is the first song to me and it makes a lot more sense. And Love Is Bigger is perfect last song.

American Soul

The same copycat noise of Volcano from SOI and Stand Up Comedy from NLOTH.

I know its direct connection with being appreciative of American support for U2, but it is just filler in the album, hard to bring up to that level.

What? American Soul is already a single and has been played live, so I'd say it's a lock to be played every night or thereabouts.

I think they will play all the tracks - not every night obviously but i would expect to hear 9 of them every night and not sure they will play anything from Songs of Innocence on this tour and likely not much from Joshua Tree either.

Volcano was played live during the Innocence promo tour

...and then made the IE Tour.

Every single U2 has ever released has been performed on the associated tour, with the exception of Electrical Storm—which still finally got played live on 360.

It would be truly extraordinary if a single played live at promo dates did not make the associated tour. American Soul will be performed, and almost certainly regularly.

...and then made the IE Tour.

Every single U2 has ever released has been performed on the associated tour, with the exception of Electrical Storm—which still finally got played live on 360.

It would be truly extraordinary if a single played live at promo dates did not make the associated tour. American Soul will be performed, and almost certainly regularly.
But it wasn't a regular part of the set by any stretch. 10 performances out of 76 shows.

Plus... Is American Soul actually a single? Seems that, radio wise, they're still only promoting Best Thing and now Get Out.

The better example you could've given, actually, is California - played three times at SOI promo dates, and then three times on the IE Tour. No other song has such a bad record (Volcano is one promo to ten tour dates).

Normally, being played on the promo tour is a harbinger of regular performance on the subsequent main tour. Ever since U2 started doing what we now recognise as a promo tour, with ATYCLB, only California and Volcano have not been performed heavily on the main tour. OOTS took a long time to find a stable setlist spot, but was a regular for the third leg of Vertigo.

So, yeah, being played on the promo tour is a good predictor that a song will be a regular on the tour - as good as a predictor as being a single. Put the two together and it's a lock.

On the question of American Soul as a single, I thought the folks who do all the chart watching said it had been distributed to radio stations or something? It doesn't appear on Australian Spotify as a single, but then nor does GOOYOW (which I swear used to have its own release in the singles section, huh).

I can see them opening with Lights of Home

Wow haven't thought of this but this would be great. Also why does everyone think landlady will be on the chopping block? Just wondering reasons? Is it tough for bono to sing?

Wow haven't thought of this but this would be great. Also why does everyone think landlady will be on the chopping block? Just wondering reasons? Is it tough for bono to sing?

Yeah it makes sense to me opening with LOH, which of course means nothing, but I think it would be a good opener. The song has been a grower for me and also ties in with SOI.

Hope they play Landlady as well, this one is just beautiful.

It's tough because I want to hear everyone live over and over again... but we are following a band w a catalog of greatness too big, my guesses:

Red Flag Day
Landlady
Summer of love

What are your thoughts?

You're probably right.

But I was so hoping for a Drowning Man lead-in to Red Flag Day

Summer of love
landlady
love is all we have left (I'd be surprised if they actually played that one)

Back
Top Bottom