This "Verified Fan" thing is for the birds... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:57 AM
This "Verified Fan" thing is for the birds...

Seems like it's more like "verified scalpers"...i got no GA for Boston in fan club presale and none in the general sale (despite trying with 3 devices), yet there are already over a 100 GA tickets on stubhub.

I think I'm done with the U2 fan club thing. One of the best benefits was getting true presale access. At this point, I'll save the money and put it toward tickets on stubhub or eBay.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Agreed. Same situation with GAs for New York and Newark.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Refugee

I got right in for Newark this AM. Outside of the Experience presales, I've given up on trying to pull more than one GA at a time per show.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominata8 View Post
Seems like it's more like "verified scalpers"...i got no GA for Boston in fan club presale and none in the general sale (despite trying with 3 devices), yet there are already over a 100 GA tickets on stubhub.

I think I'm done with the U2 fan club thing. One of the best benefits was getting true presale access. At this point, I'll save the money and put it toward tickets on stubhub or eBay.
We should all start asking for a refund from the U2.com subscription. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the only way we'd get anyone from U2 management's attention is to ask for our money back and refuse to ever sign up again. Like everyone else, I've been a subscriber from the beginning and propaganda before. This is BS.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
The Fly

I agree they said they would refund but also mentioned releasing new dates?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 03:57 AM
I was skunked for both Tulsa and Vegas GA- couldn't even get a peep for Vegas.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithvanity View Post
I agree they said they would refund but also mentioned releasing new dates?
Yeah, I'm waiting for to see about that. But if I don't get presale tickets, I'm thinking about asking for a refund. I could buy a GA ticket on a reseller close to what I'd pay for a subscription + ticket cost, without the hassle. I'm not saying I want to do that, but it's less of a headache.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
War Child

Montreal 2 is already up on the Tours page, so hopefully the rest very soon.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Babyface

First time poster on this forum (have hung out on the @u2 forums for a few years).

Have appreciated the info and experiences of everyone so far, was hoping it helped me secure tickets but have to agree with the lot of you - this setup was miserable. (I registered for the general on sale).

I get that in previous years when I refreshed my browser at just the right time on ticketmaster and got GA tickets...someone sitting at their computer doing the same did not and felt what I feel now...so there's no sour grapes about whether I "deserved" to get tickets based on my fandom. However, this is the best thing to combat scalpers?? Read an informative article posted back in July about the guy who became famous for creating the bots that created the fiasco on the Vertigo tour. He's supposedly now helping ticketmaster combat scalpers....yet what are we going to see? $300+ GA tickets on stubhub from scalpers (presumably scalpers I should say)

One could argue this is just free-market economics at its core - people will pay $$$ on the secondary market because they want to be there...so seeing U2 then becomes a privilege for those who can pay...which again, maybe the market dictates it...unfortunately that means I am not much longer in the market for live U2 shows.

Side complaint - anyone try to buy from the AXS site?? Have never seen a more confusing way to secure tickets. Had 1 GA in my basket but realized I had not selected the right number of tickets I wanted so went back and of course lost out completely by the time I figured out how to do it.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 AM
What a mess, this verified fan thing. And the solution is so easy. If U2 truly wanted that the best tickets would end up in the hands of the real fans, they could easily manage.

* first week: sell tickets on name to U2.com members as long as there is supply/demand.
* sell all other tickets on name to the rest.
* enter via ID.

The real reason they don't do this, is that U2/Ticketmaster don't wanna pay the price. It will take lots of effort to control everybody on the day of the concert. And, more importantly, no money will be earned by U2/Ticketmaster/LiveNation in the highly profitable reselling market.

Another option is doing it the old fashioned way: stand in a row the whole night to get the tickets you want.

It's so easy.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 AM
https://www.ticketnews.com/u2-verified-fan-upsets-fans/
Old 11-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by phommel View Post
And another interesting article about how the biggest touts of all are Ticketmaster.
https://www.ticketnews.com/adele-pig...d-bs-songkick/
Old 11-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
Babyface

Surely a competitor to ticketmaster can figure this out and capitalize on it...

Create a website (I'll call it the 'exchange') and enter in to agreements with bands like U2 where a certain portion of tickets are sold to fans (i.e. members of your club...people who register). The percentage of tickets available in this group cannot be resold. They can be traded at face value with other fans through the exchange but nobody outside of that can get them...

Then have a secondary market for general on-sale that can be resold through the exchange, again at face value...to anyone.

Then if scalpers want to go through that much work to get tickets on that exchange and put them up somewhere else for 300% increase they can do so...

This would protect the fans...get people into the shows with a little less stress...and still provide some opportunity for people who want to see the show to get tickets without selling their car to do so...?
In our day and age of apps and tech-startups competing like mad, this seems like a vacancy waiting to be filled....
Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper19 View Post
Surely a competitor to ticketmaster can figure this out and capitalize on it...

Create a website (I'll call it the 'exchange') and enter in to agreements with bands like U2 where a certain portion of tickets are sold to fans (i.e. members of your club...people who register). The percentage of tickets available in this group cannot be resold. They can be traded at face value with other fans through the exchange but nobody outside of that can get them...

Then have a secondary market for general on-sale that can be resold through the exchange, again at face value...to anyone.

Then if scalpers want to go through that much work to get tickets on that exchange and put them up somewhere else for 300% increase they can do so...

This would protect the fans...get people into the shows with a little less stress...and still provide some opportunity for people who want to see the show to get tickets without selling their car to do so...?
In our day and age of apps and tech-startups competing like mad, this seems like a vacancy waiting to be filled....
Songkick tried that and they were driven out of business by Ticketmaster.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper19 View Post
First time poster on this forum (have hung out on the @u2 forums for a few years).

Have appreciated the info and experiences of everyone so far, was hoping it helped me secure tickets but have to agree with the lot of you - this setup was miserable. (I registered for the general on sale).

I get that in previous years when I refreshed my browser at just the right time on ticketmaster and got GA tickets...someone sitting at their computer doing the same did not and felt what I feel now...so there's no sour grapes about whether I "deserved" to get tickets based on my fandom. However, this is the best thing to combat scalpers?? Read an informative article posted back in July about the guy who became famous for creating the bots that created the fiasco on the Vertigo tour. He's supposedly now helping ticketmaster combat scalpers....yet what are we going to see? $300+ GA tickets on stubhub from scalpers (presumably scalpers I should say)

One could argue this is just free-market economics at its core - people will pay $$$ on the secondary market because they want to be there...so seeing U2 then becomes a privilege for those who can pay...which again, maybe the market dictates it...unfortunately that means I am not much longer in the market for live U2 shows.

Side complaint - anyone try to buy from the AXS site?? Have never seen a more confusing way to secure tickets. Had 1 GA in my basket but realized I had not selected the right number of tickets I wanted so went back and of course lost out completely by the time I figured out how to do it.
Pepper19, the AXS ticket site makes the TM system look like heaven. AXS kept thinking I was a bot and it's layout sucks. Then it only offered me $329 tickets. No Thank You.

This verify crap only hurts the legit fans and hasn't slowed down the scalpers.