This "Verified Fan" thing is for the birds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

innominata8

War Child
Seems like it's more like "verified scalpers"...i got no GA for Boston in fan club presale and none in the general sale (despite trying with 3 devices), yet there are already over a 100 GA tickets on stubhub.

I think I'm done with the U2 fan club thing. One of the best benefits was getting true presale access. At this point, I'll save the money and put it toward tickets on stubhub or eBay. :down:

I got right in for Newark this AM. Outside of the Experience presales, I've given up on trying to pull more than one GA at a time per show.

Seems like it's more like "verified scalpers"...i got no GA for Boston in fan club presale and none in the general sale (despite trying with 3 devices), yet there are already over a 100 GA tickets on stubhub.

I think I'm done with the U2 fan club thing. One of the best benefits was getting true presale access. At this point, I'll save the money and put it toward tickets on stubhub or eBay. :down:

We should all start asking for a refund from the U2.com subscription. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the only way we'd get anyone from U2 management's attention is to ask for our money back and refuse to ever sign up again. Like everyone else, I've been a subscriber from the beginning and propaganda before. This is BS.

I agree they said they would refund but also mentioned releasing new dates?

Yeah, I'm waiting for to see about that. But if I don't get presale tickets, I'm thinking about asking for a refund. I could buy a GA ticket on a reseller close to what I'd pay for a subscription + ticket cost, without the hassle. I'm not saying I want to do that, but it's less of a headache.

First time poster on this forum (have hung out on the @u2 forums for a few years).

Have appreciated the info and experiences of everyone so far, was hoping it helped me secure tickets but have to agree with the lot of you - this setup was miserable. (I registered for the general on sale).

I get that in previous years when I refreshed my browser at just the right time on ticketmaster and got GA tickets...someone sitting at their computer doing the same did not and felt what I feel now...so there's no sour grapes about whether I "deserved" to get tickets based on my fandom. However, this is the best thing to combat scalpers?? Read an informative article posted back in July about the guy who became famous for creating the bots that created the fiasco on the Vertigo tour. He's supposedly now helping ticketmaster combat scalpers....yet what are we going to see? $300+ GA tickets on stubhub from scalpers (presumably scalpers I should say)

One could argue this is just free-market economics at its core - people will pay $$$ on the secondary market because they want to be there...so seeing U2 then becomes a privilege for those who can pay...which again, maybe the market dictates it...unfortunately that means I am not much longer in the market for live U2 shows.

Side complaint - anyone try to buy from the AXS site?? Have never seen a more confusing way to secure tickets. Had 1 GA in my basket but realized I had not selected the right number of tickets I wanted so went back and of course lost out completely by the time I figured out how to do it.

What a mess, this verified fan thing. And the solution is so easy. If U2 truly wanted that the best tickets would end up in the hands of the real fans, they could easily manage.

* first week: sell tickets on name to U2.com members as long as there is supply/demand.
* sell all other tickets on name to the rest.
* enter via ID.

The real reason they don't do this, is that U2/Ticketmaster don't wanna pay the price. It will take lots of effort to control everybody on the day of the concert. And, more importantly, no money will be earned by U2/Ticketmaster/LiveNation in the highly profitable reselling market.

Another option is doing it the old fashioned way: stand in a row the whole night to get the tickets you want.

It's so easy.

Surely a competitor to ticketmaster can figure this out and capitalize on it...

Create a website (I'll call it the 'exchange') and enter in to agreements with bands like U2 where a certain portion of tickets are sold to fans (i.e. members of your club...people who register). The percentage of tickets available in this group cannot be resold. They can be traded at face value with other fans through the exchange but nobody outside of that can get them...

Then have a secondary market for general on-sale that can be resold through the exchange, again at face value...to anyone.

Then if scalpers want to go through that much work to get tickets on that exchange and put them up somewhere else for 300% increase they can do so...

This would protect the fans...get people into the shows with a little less stress...and still provide some opportunity for people who want to see the show to get tickets without selling their car to do so...?
In our day and age of apps and tech-startups competing like mad, this seems like a vacancy waiting to be filled....

Create a website (I'll call it the 'exchange') and enter in to agreements with bands like U2 where a certain portion of tickets are sold to fans (i.e. members of your club...people who register). The percentage of tickets available in this group cannot be resold. They can be traded at face value with other fans through the exchange but nobody outside of that can get them...

Then have a secondary market for general on-sale that can be resold through the exchange, again at face value...to anyone.

Then if scalpers want to go through that much work to get tickets on that exchange and put them up somewhere else for 300% increase they can do so...

This would protect the fans...get people into the shows with a little less stress...and still provide some opportunity for people who want to see the show to get tickets without selling their car to do so...?
In our day and age of apps and tech-startups competing like mad, this seems like a vacancy waiting to be filled....

Songkick tried that and they were driven out of business by Ticketmaster.

First time poster on this forum (have hung out on the @u2 forums for a few years).

Have appreciated the info and experiences of everyone so far, was hoping it helped me secure tickets but have to agree with the lot of you - this setup was miserable. (I registered for the general on sale).

I get that in previous years when I refreshed my browser at just the right time on ticketmaster and got GA tickets...someone sitting at their computer doing the same did not and felt what I feel now...so there's no sour grapes about whether I "deserved" to get tickets based on my fandom. However, this is the best thing to combat scalpers?? Read an informative article posted back in July about the guy who became famous for creating the bots that created the fiasco on the Vertigo tour. He's supposedly now helping ticketmaster combat scalpers....yet what are we going to see? $300+ GA tickets on stubhub from scalpers (presumably scalpers I should say)

One could argue this is just free-market economics at its core - people will pay $$$ on the secondary market because they want to be there...so seeing U2 then becomes a privilege for those who can pay...which again, maybe the market dictates it...unfortunately that means I am not much longer in the market for live U2 shows.

Side complaint - anyone try to buy from the AXS site?? Have never seen a more confusing way to secure tickets. Had 1 GA in my basket but realized I had not selected the right number of tickets I wanted so went back and of course lost out completely by the time I figured out how to do it.

Pepper19, the AXS ticket site makes the TM system look like heaven. AXS kept thinking I was a bot and it's layout sucks. Then it only offered me $329 tickets. No Thank You.

This verify crap only hurts the legit fans and hasn't slowed down the scalpers.

Amazing that U2.com only shows Montreal as being sold out. Best I could remember on the last I+E tour the shows where selling out on the opening day. Maybe it's slower to update this time around?

This verify crap only hurts the legit fans and hasn't slowed down the scalpers.

I am not entirely convinced it is designed to slow down the scalpers, that might be a bonus side effect, or a nice marketing slogan, but it doesn't appear to be the overarching task of this new ticketing business model ... google 'business articles on Verified Fan ticketing' and one can read interviews which state that a large part of LiveNation/TVF business model is to do what is necessary to control/dominate the secondary market - verified fan is actually called slow ticketing which is used (among other things) to help set price points on secondary markets & avoid system surge overload (which is costly to the corporation). there's more involved in the business model to be sure but ....

I am not entirely convinced it is designed to slow down the scalpers, that might be a bonus side effect, or a nice marketing slogan, but it doesn't appear to be the overarching task of this new ticketing business model ... google 'business articles on Verified Fan ticketing' and one can read interviews which state that a large part of LiveNation/TVF business model is to do what is necessary to control/dominate the secondary market - verified fan is actually called slow ticketing which is used (among other things) to help set price points on secondary markets & avoid system surge overload (which is costly to the corporation). there's more involved in the business model to be sure but ....

Good point. Can't know for sure but the scalping market seems to have not skipped a beat.

The system is a scam ("Verified Scam"). I "registered" for both the Citi presale and the public onsale and I never got a code for either sale.

According to the email I received from Verified Scam, I was put on the waitlist "due to extremely high demand" and that "should additional ticket inventory become available, registrants will be randomly selected to move off the waitlist, and provided an access code via text to unlock ticket inventory."

Nevertheless, hours after the onsale began, I saw tickets for both MSG and Newark available that I could "unlock" if only I had a code. So why weren't more codes sent out if the tickets weren't selling?

I appreciate this info because it helps frame what is happening behind the scenes and makes sense from a business standpoint why these decisions are being made.

Spun2U - I don't fancy myself to be too tech illiterate, but that AXS site had me scratching my head. So poorly designed....why should I have to select a box for "admission" to a show...then select the quantity and location...??

Love the idea! One big problem. Osery and U2 are in on it. They are making money on the racket Fogel and TM have going. And, I hate to break it to you, but Bono loves money more than he cares about you or me.

Those buildings will be full regardless. Fogel and Osery will squeeze every possible cent out they can while paying lip service is to this farcical “for the fans” crap.

Those yachts don’t gas themselves up.

I was skunked for both Tulsa and Vegas GA- couldn't even get a peep for Vegas.

Me too on Vegas. Was so excited to have a show close to home.

We should all start asking for a refund from the U2.com subscription. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the only way we'd get anyone from U2 management's attention is to ask for our money back and refuse to ever sign up again. Like everyone else, I've been a subscriber from the beginning and propaganda before. This is BS.

I agree they said they would refund but also mentioned releasing new dates?

I called and asked for a refund today and was denied. I told her it was bullshit and I wouldn't be coming back to the fan club.

Me too on Vegas. Was so excited to have a show close to home.

I called and asked for a refund today and was denied. I told her it was bullshit and I wouldn't be coming back to the fan club.

Wow, I heard they were telling people who were complaining they could have a refund just yesterday. Funny how their tune changes daily.

IMG_1999.JPG

Hmmm... so it looks like tickets might be on sale to anyone tomorrow morning? Doesn’t appear verification will be needed.

What a mess, this verified fan thing. And the solution is so easy. If U2 truly wanted that the best tickets would end up in the hands of the real fans, they could easily manage.

* first week: sell tickets on name to U2.com members as long as there is supply/demand.
* sell all other tickets on name to the rest.
* enter via ID.

The real reason they don't do this, is that U2/Ticketmaster don't wanna pay the price. It will take lots of effort to control everybody on the day of the concert. And, more importantly, no money will be earned by U2/Ticketmaster/LiveNation in the highly profitable reselling market.

Another option is doing it the old fashioned way: stand in a row the whole night to get the tickets you want.

It's so easy.

The ID thing... it supposedly works for smaller venues, even though scalpers might just buy two tickets and bring the other person in for a premium before leaving anyway. Arenas, not sure if there's a situation where literally everyone got checked for ID before going in (anyone know?). Stadiums... I don't know if security would care enough to take the time of checking IDs for tens of thousands of people. They almost never checked the IDs for the 10,000 people that went in for GA on the last tour (give or take).

And now, to make the whole "verified" thing even worse, there are now tons of "verified resale tickets" on ticketmaster. If you ask me, I think the whole thing is a scam concocted by Live Nation and Ticketbastard. LN gets to ask their ridiculously high prices, and Ticketbastard gets to charge fees multiple times on the same ticket. And many of the true fans like us are left either broke or high and dry.

The U2 organization really need to step up and address this. Guys, this is sooo not a fan-friendly way to sell tickets to your shows. As a fan, I kinda feel disrespected.

I haven't posted in years but follow others thoughts in the forum, time to include mine...

Like so many others, I'm done with this whole system. I've been in the fan club since before the Vertigo Tour. I know it's not since the Propaganda days, like many of you, but I've put my time in. DONE. I love their music, but this tour will be my last. I ended up with 2 GA's for Chicago, but why do we only have access to 2 tickets when the Citi presale gets 4?

Is there an email where we can voice our complaints to someone who will actually read and think about our issues?

Got that off my chest. I feel better.

I haven't posted in years but follow others thoughts in the forum, time to include mine...

Like so many others, I'm done with this whole system. I've been in the fan club since before the Vertigo Tour. I know it's not since the Propaganda days, like many of you, but I've put my time in. DONE. I love their music, but this tour will be my last. I ended up with 2 GA's for Chicago, but why do we only have access to 2 tickets when the Citi presale gets 4?

Is there an email where we can voice our complaints to someone who will actually read and think about our issues?

Got that off my chest. I feel better.

I was wondering the same. Fanclub members are not as valued as users of a corporate sponsor. 2 tix limit is stupid for fanclub members. Had I known that I wouldn't have renewed my u2com sub so eagerly first of the month.

BTW, anyone see the TMNY's tweet this morning? (See attached image.) I guess there's no issue all verified registrants have been accommodated. Okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171121-102138.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-102138.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom