***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my... pre recorded HMTMKMKM would be the utlimate crap they can think about... 1 song that i was excited about... :huh:
+ 1. Not the song I'm most looking forward to, but in my top 3 certainly. But more importantly it is a monster live. Why on earth would you use that song as intermission?! But they did the same with The Fly. Similar type of song. So it's possible... With U2 anything is possible I guess.

Agreed. The only song that comes close to being as important to a U2 live show, as spellbinding, is Bad.
It actually is more important to me and I know quite a few people who'd probably say the same. And it draws a similar kind of reaction I think. It's a bit hard to tell from front row, but that's my feeling. And Bad combined with 40 is the ultimate closer. Don't know why you'd even consider something else... If there was one part they should have kept from i+e it was that. Best part of the entire set. The excitement when they brought out the light. Just wow. I recognize that Streets is a massive live song and probably one people look forward to. But there are other classics in the set. So I actually don't think the real casuals are going to notice. It's the fans who are going to notice. But within a live set, does it really matter? You're absorbed by the moment and the music.

As far as ABOY and SATS are concerned: certainly not my favorite songs from those albums, and a bit of a weird choice (I mean, they could have chosen Discotheque or Please...). But I'm still looking forward to them. Anything new is good.

AQ
Oh my... pre recorded HMTMKMKM would be the utlimate crap they can think about... 1 song that i was excited about... :huh:

Anything pre-recorded is lame , especially when their shows aren't overly long. I think Invisible is one of the best songs from the SOI era so doing it pre-recorded was a facepalm moment.

No Streets. Brilliant. Hopefully it will return to its rightful throne (aka anytime they pick up their instruments) before Montreal.

And missing a huge Experience moment possibility by not rehearsing Landlady. I personally love Iris and Song For Someone... but for the same reasons I love them, I was hoping for their (roughly) equivalent Experience sentiment on this tour.

I hope I’m proven wrong

I recognize that Streets is a massive live song and probably one people look forward to. But there are other classics in the set. So I actually don't think the real casuals are going to notice. It's the fans who are going to notice.

I brought a sibling to one of the shows last year... and despite having no real connection with Streets before the show (or many of the band's songs, for that matter), the song not only stood out as a highlight, but sort of made her choke up a bit in the process. I think the way they presented it last year certainly helped, but there's no doubt that it gets a very solid reaction from the crowd each time or tour.

People who only know so many songs might not "notice" an absence there. But as swell as Bad can be live, I don't think it quite compares to the reaction for Streets as a whole (imho)

I brought a sibling to one of the shows last year... and despite having no real connection with Streets before the show (or many of the band's songs, for that matter), the song not only stood out as a highlight, but sort of made her choke up a bit in the process. I think the way they presented it last year certainly helped, but there's no doubt that it gets a very solid reaction from the crowd each time or tour.

People who only know so many songs might not "notice" an absence there. But as swell as Bad can be live, I don't think it quite compares to the reaction for Streets as a whole (imho)
My thoughts exactly. A casual may not know they've missed Streets. But I'm pretty sure if they experience Streets live it will be a highlight. So they'll come away enjoying a show more of it contains Streets. Maybe ignorance is usually bliss,... but not in this case. Streets is bliss!

I disagree with this, while recognizing that it’s largely a matter of taste. But I wonder if anyone else feels similarly.

I like Streets a lot, but I do think it gets overhyped as the ultimate U2 live song. I can’t say that I really like it more than most top-tier U2 live songs, in whose ranks I include, for instance, City. Obviously, there are songs I’d rather have deleted in favor of Streets; ABOY, for instance, shouldn’t be here. But U2 setlists always have their share of top-tier songs and others, and I tend to not give primacy to Streets within the ranks of top-tier songs.

That said, Streets is also more variable than most songs depending on lights, intro segue, and the like. I+E Zooropa->Streets was a true highlight and I crave that a lot more than, say, Vertigo Streets.

I hear you brother, but have to say I disagree strongly. U2 has a lot of excellent songs, but Streets is in a class by itself, and IMO exists on a higher plain. While an integral part of the Joshua Tree, it's transcended that record and become something else entirely. Particularly live. You can't substitute another song for Streets because Streets has no substitute (Bad, when they play it right, comes closest). Born to Run is the only song I can think of by any other artist that occupies the same space as Streets. But I think even Bruce can get away without playing Born to Run (mainly because Bruce sweats buckets of blood, tears & passion for every show and every song).

come on guys, U2 played the JT songs to death last year they can just give those songs some rest.

Well actually, they played Streets fewer times on the recent Joshua Tree tour than they had any other tour. So I'm not sure why Streets would need more of a "rest" after the last tour than any other.

Let's also remember that not everyone sees every tour. And for many people, Tulsa will be their first, and perhaps only, U2 show. So I've never really understood the "give the song a rest" argument. Everyone who buys a ticket deserves to hear that song live. Especially given the prices they're charging for this show.

All that said, hopefully this is just another Interference meltdown that I'll regret having fallen for, and they end up playing the song.

Last edited:
AQ

Anything pre-recorded is lame , especially when their shows aren't overly long. I think Invisible is one of the best songs from the SOI era so doing it pre-recorded was a facepalm moment.

agreed. this is now the second pre-recorded song of the show. if we wanted to see this kind of shit, we'd all be out in Vegas watching Britney Spears. :down:

u2songs is slowly updating last night's rehearsal article, they expect to have a full song list later.

u2songs | SPOILERS: U2eiTOUR Rehearsal Day Three in Tulsa: April 30, 2018 |

Partial Set list for April 30: (Full list to follow):

“Love is All We Have Left” (Pre-Recorded)
“The Blackout”
“Lights of Home”
“Beautiful Day”
“All Because of You”
“I Will Follow”
“The Ocean” / “Iris”
“Cedarwood Road”
“Song for Someone”
“Sunday Bloody Sunday”
“Raised by Wolves”
“Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses”
“Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me” (Pre-Recorded?)
“Elevation”
“Vertigo”
“Desire”
“Acrobat”
“You’re the Best Thing About Me”

Last edited:
I think it will be good for them to not play it for a few nights, if anything to remind them that this song is the absolute centre of every show they do. It's the singularity, it's the gravity, it's the sun that all the other songs revolves around. A U2 show without Streets can only aspire to be this high, no higher. They can't enter the stratosphere without Streets. Streets it the girlfriend that you don't miss until she's gone. And if she has to leave for a while for you to realise what hollow shell of a person you are without her, so be it. Then maybe you'll appreciate her more when she's back.

There was a time U2 could pull off a show without Streets, but no longer. It's their ace card, and to a certain extent a crutch. But let's put it this way....is there any scenario where a show is better without Streets than with it? No to that I say.

U2 not playing Streets is like putting on a production of Hamlet and deleting Act III Scene I. Almost every person who goes to a show and doesn't hear that song is going to leave disappointed on some level. And rightfully so. Go to a U2 show and leave with a lousy fucking app and no Streets? Yeah, well done lads.

Wow is this a great post..... I would miss Streets so badly, it's their Stairway To Heaven and if I was to bring a U2 show rookie and they didn't play it I would feel so sorry for them..

I hear you brother, but have to say I disagree strongly. U2 has a lot of excellent songs, but Streets is in a class by itself, and IMO exists on a higher plain. While an integral part of the Joshua Tree, it's transcended that record and become something else entirely. Particularly live. You can't substitute another song for Streets because Streets has no substitute (Bad, when they play it right, comes closest). Born to Run is the only song I can think of by any other artist that occupies the same space as Streets. But I think even Bruce can get away without playing Born to Run (mainly because Bruce sweats buckets of blood, tears & passion for every show and every song).

Well actually, they played Streets fewer times on the recent Joshua Tree tour than they had any other tour. So I'm not sure why Streets would need more of a "rest" after the last tour than any other.

Let's also remember that not everyone sees every tour. And for many people, Tulsa will be their first, and perhaps only, U2 show. So I've never really understood the "give the song a rest" argument. Everyone who buys a ticket deserves to hear that song live. Especially given the prices they're charging for this show.

All that said, hopefully this is just another Interference meltdown that I'll regret having fallen for, and they end up playing the song.

Streets is the highlight of the show for me, no two ways about it. I treat every show that I go to like it could be the last one I get to see. Lets face it, the band isn't getting any younger and between accidents, Larry quitting the band after this tour (lol) and "mysterious brushes with death", who knows if they tour again. If I didn't get to see Streets one more time live, I would be really bummed.

For what it's worth, tomorrow night should be good for the "interesting stats/milestones" gurus:

- First performance of Acrobat ever
- First tour performance of a Pop song in a tour show since 2005, and that was only two performances of Discothèque
- First performance of Wild Horses since 2006
- First performance of ABOY since 2005
- First tour show without TJT songs since 1985
- The Ocean... oh hey that's kind of cool

U2start.com | E&I Tour Rehearsals (Spoilers)

30 April: (final dress rehearsal, expected to be the final one and the setlist for opening night)

Love Is All We Have Left (over PA, with Bono singing live to his own voice during the first part)
The Blackout
Lights of Home
Beautiful Day / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
The Ocean
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves / Songs of Experience: Introduction poem from William Blake (snippet)
Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Intermission: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Remix over PA, presumably by Gavin Friday)

Elevation (with Influx Remix intro)
Vertigo / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
Desire (Hollywood Remix version)
(Speech by mr. MacPhisto)
Acrobat
You’re The Best Thing About Me (acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (acoustic)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City Of Blinding Lights

Encore, preceded by the song Women Of The World Take Over by Jim O’Rourke:
One
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

Back
Top Bottom