***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not sure who you are responding too, but it seems like you are now arguing against a strawman. I haven't seen anyone say anything like this.

You think that the last 1/3 of this set is going to make for a great show and be really well received? (Notice I didn't say stink up the joint, or people demand their money back) You think playing 11 new songs, of which none of them are hits, is a good idea?

I don't know if the last third of the show will be well received or make for a great show.

I don't know if playing 11 songs from the last 2 albums is a good idea.

I haven't seen the show. Nobody has.

What I do know is that poo pooing the show based on a paper setlist, knowing their history for putting on amazing live shows, is a little ridiculous.

As a fan I'd rather they play even more new songs and non hits. The song I'm most upset about not being on the rumored set is Little Things, not Streets.

But far as the average concert goer enjoying the show based on this set list, that depends on whether or not they perform it well.

What, nobody here has ever gone to a concert and not known many of the songs being played and been blown away by the performance itself?

If they have confidence in what they're playing, play the songs well and have a great multimedia clusterfuck to to on with them - it will be well received.

If they don't, it won't.

Last edited:
Really gonna try to avoid visual spoilers as I have a feeling that the visuals and effects are going to be unreal on this tour.

I haven't been here in months... skimmed some of the songs listed in set list and it has 2 of my all time favorites, one I've only heard once in concert and the other 5-10 times, but it's not played all the time, so I'm pumped if that's true set list.

Also new album rules.

If the set list has U2 songs on it, it's a great set list.

I haven't been here in months... skimmed some of the songs listed in set list and it has 2 of my all time favorites, one I've only heard once in concert and the other 5-10 times, but it's not played all the time, so I'm pumped if that's true set list.

Also new album rules.

If the set list has U2 songs on it, it's a great set list.

Which shows you hitting, sweetheart?

So a 1/3 of the set is massive hits. That was my point, that is low for U2. I+E on the first leg that number was closer to 2/3. This tour is much less than previous tours, and that is why I think they add more and rotate out some other songs.

They are treating their new music like they are still a relevant band as far as new music goes, and that is not the case. I think they will realize fairly quickly a large part of their audience doesn't want to see 11 new songs.

not sure who you are responding too, but it seems like you are now arguing against a strawman. I haven't seen anyone say anything like this.

You think that the last 1/3 of this set is going to make for a great show and be really well received? (Notice I didn't say stink up the joint, or people demand their money back) You think playing 11 new songs, of which none of them are hits, is a good idea?
For i+e, the opening set was 50% new material, 5 out of the 10 songs being off the new album. I'm sure that set was very entertaining for the majority of the crowd.

Admittedly the remainder of the show was 90% hits. But I think if U2 tells a story, incorporating all the techno wizardry, I think they can keep the casuals engaged.

I'm just a bit worried, that like i+e (minus the October-Streets stretch), the second set may not have an interesting story to tell.

We shall wait & see.

Last edited:
image.jpg

If Bono asks the crowd after Acrobat ‘how did you like that?!’ that’s a red flag for sure for its long term existence on this tour. Let’s put it to a crowd vote in Tulsa on the first night, sure! :crack:

If Bono asks the crowd after Acrobat ‘how did you like that?!’ that’s a red flag for sure for its long term existence on this tour. Let’s put it to a crowd vote in Tulsa on the first night, sure! :crack:

On the other hand, if he says "that's the first, and probably last, time we ever play that song", it'll stick around for ages. See: Party Girl, Dundee 1983. (Same show had the only performance of Like a Song, which passed without comment from Bono.)

For all the criticism of the setlist (from me especially) I'll say this about them - at least they are willing to do the unthinkable and drop the undroppable. That said, they've set the new standard. If you're willing to go without Streets and With or Without You then you can sure go without Beautiful Day and Vertigo!

If it wasn't for Bonnaroo maybe Vertigo would still be out of there, or at least only having its first performance in a full show today since i/e.

Last edited:
Elevation, since they insist on beating us with it, should be the PA track and then do HMTMKMKM live.

Last edited:
Elevation, since they insist on beating us with it, should be the PA track and then do HTTMKMKM live.
Yea I'd say my only real disappointment with this set is that they're playing my favorite song and a live monster as a recording with a different singer.

Dislike.

Although I would love to hear a proper studio cut of that mix with Bono on vocals. It was fairly bad ass.

For all the criticism of the setlist (from me especially) I'll say this about them - at least they are willing to do the unthinkable and drop the undroppable. That said, they've set the new standard. If you're willing to go without Streets and With or Without You then you can sure go without Beautiful Day and Vertigo!

Yeah. I would have put money down that One, BD, and Streets would never miss a show. Anything is on the table now.

Of course, the newest/weakest of those three songs probably isn't going anywhere for a while.

And you also have to give them credit for playing TWO rarities from AB in one show. They could easily just played one and put Mysterious Ways as that encore opener.

Yes, I'm not over the moon by the list of songs, but am suitably impressed by some big, rather bold decisions.

And the revival of something as forgotten and pedestrian as All Because of You, surely puts a bit of hope out there that they could re-introduce a song that seemed destined to be contained to it's corresponding album tour. It may not be too unreasonable to hope that something like a New York or a Breathe could be revived at some show somewhere at some point.

Elevation, since they insist on beating us with it, should be the PA track and then do HMTMKMKM live.

No joke. I can't believe they rehearsed a full band HMTMKMKM only to do this shit. It would be as good a second set opener as you could get, really.

I also hope The Fly finds its way out of rehearsals and into the setlist. It'd be another good choice for the second set.

Yes, I'm not over the moon by the list of songs, but am suitably impressed by some big, rather bold decisions.

And the revival of something as forgotten and pedestrian as All Because of You, surely puts a bit of hope out there that they could re-introduce a song that seemed destined to be contained to it's corresponding album tour. It may not be too unreasonable to hope that something like a New York or a Breathe could be revived at some show somewhere at some point.

New York and Breathe reside in the same category as ABOY - or, indeed, a worse one in the case of Breathe - so I'm not sure what your point is here. Like, woo, let's revive songs barely anyone gives a fuck about, rather than something a bit obscure but genuinely fantastic like Wire or Do You Feel Loved or Lady With the Spinning Head or Twilight or whatever.

ABOY was an actual single, so I think it had a better chance of being revived anyway.

Breathe got an unceremonious boot from being the show opener (a poor choice for it, admittedly) and was thrown off the whole setlist, as well as the eventual DVD release, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Have they ever played Heartland and God part 2? Really bummed Landlady and The Showman aren't in the set

Back
Top Bottom