***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I disagree with this, while recognizing that it’s largely a matter of taste. But I wonder if anyone else feels similarly.

I like Streets a lot, but I do think it gets overhyped as the ultimate U2 live song. I can’t say that I really like it more than most top-tier U2 live songs, in whose ranks I include, for instance, City. Obviously, there are songs I’d rather have deleted in favor of Streets; ABOY, for instance, shouldn’t be here. But U2 setlists always have their share of top-tier songs and others, and I tend to not give primacy to Streets within the ranks of top-tier songs.

That said, Streets is also more variable than most songs depending on lights, intro segue, and the like. I+E Zooropa->Streets was a true highlight and I crave that a lot more than, say, Vertigo Streets.
I hear you brother, but have to say I disagree strongly. U2 has a lot of excellent songs, but Streets is in a class by itself, and IMO exists on a higher plain. While an integral part of the Joshua Tree, it's transcended that record and become something else entirely. Particularly live. You can't substitute another song for Streets because Streets has no substitute (Bad, when they play it right, comes closest). Born to Run is the only song I can think of by any other artist that occupies the same space as Streets. But I think even Bruce can get away without playing Born to Run (mainly because Bruce sweats buckets of blood, tears & passion for every show and every song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
come on guys, U2 played the JT songs to death last year they can just give those songs some rest.
Well actually, they played Streets fewer times on the recent Joshua Tree tour than they had any other tour. So I'm not sure why Streets would need more of a "rest" after the last tour than any other.

Let's also remember that not everyone sees every tour. And for many people, Tulsa will be their first, and perhaps only, U2 show. So I've never really understood the "give the song a rest" argument. Everyone who buys a ticket deserves to hear that song live. Especially given the prices they're charging for this show.

All that said, hopefully this is just another Interference meltdown that I'll regret having fallen for, and they end up playing the song.

Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post

Well actually, they played Streets fewer times on the recent Joshua Tree tour than they had any other tour.

What shows did they skip Streets on during last year's JT tour?

Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post

What shows did they skip Streets on during last year's JT tour?
None.

But they only played the song 51 times at 51 shows. So I'm not sure why it needs a "rest" after only 51 performances on the last tour, as opposed to after any other tour.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #49
Ghost of Love

***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

Pretty sure he means that JT2017 had fewer shows overall than any other tour. There were a grand total of 0 shows that they excluded Streets on the JT tour.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh_OMG View Post
Oh my... pre recorded HMTMKMKM would be the utlimate crap they can think about... 1 song that i was excited about...
ditto. i was sooooo looking forward to seeing this live.
innominata8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #51
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
AQ

Anything pre-recorded is lame , especially when their shows aren't overly long. I think Invisible is one of the best songs from the SOI era so doing it pre-recorded was a facepalm moment.
agreed. this is now the second pre-recorded song of the show. if we wanted to see this kind of shit, we'd all be out in Vegas watching Britney Spears.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Leave Britney alone!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

u2songs is slowly updating last night's rehearsal article, they expect to have a full song list later.

u2songs | SPOILERS: U2eiTOUR Rehearsal Day Three in Tulsa: April 30, 2018 |

Quote:
Partial Set list for April 30: (Full list to follow):

“Love is All We Have Left” (Pre-Recorded)
“The Blackout”
“Lights of Home”
“Beautiful Day”
“All Because of You”
“I Will Follow”
“The Ocean” / “Iris”
“Cedarwood Road”
“Song for Someone”
“Sunday Bloody Sunday”
“Raised by Wolves”
“Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses”
“Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me” (Pre-Recorded?)
“Elevation”
“Vertigo”
“Desire”
“Acrobat”
“You’re the Best Thing About Me”
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I guess everyone here thinks U2 concerts stunk pre-1987, huh?
I could tell from personal experience.... yes I'm that old.... The War and TUF shows I went to were absolutely EPIC (and yes I know you were taking the piss).
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
For all our bitching, can I just say how stoked I am about the return of the live monster that is Hold Me Thrill Me?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I think it will be good for them to not play it for a few nights, if anything to remind them that this song is the absolute centre of every show they do. It's the singularity, it's the gravity, it's the sun that all the other songs revolves around. A U2 show without Streets can only aspire to be this high, no higher. They can't enter the stratosphere without Streets. Streets it the girlfriend that you don't miss until she's gone. And if she has to leave for a while for you to realise what hollow shell of a person you are without her, so be it. Then maybe you'll appreciate her more when she's back.

There was a time U2 could pull off a show without Streets, but no longer. It's their ace card, and to a certain extent a crutch. But let's put it this way....is there any scenario where a show is better without Streets than with it? No to that I say.

U2 not playing Streets is like putting on a production of Hamlet and deleting Act III Scene I. Almost every person who goes to a show and doesn't hear that song is going to leave disappointed on some level. And rightfully so. Go to a U2 show and leave with a lousy fucking app and no Streets? Yeah, well done lads.
Wow is this a great post..... I would miss Streets so badly, it's their Stairway To Heaven and if I was to bring a U2 show rookie and they didn't play it I would feel so sorry for them..
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #57
War Child

Quote:
I hear you brother, but have to say I disagree strongly. U2 has a lot of excellent songs, but Streets is in a class by itself, and IMO exists on a higher plain. While an integral part of the Joshua Tree, it's transcended that record and become something else entirely. Particularly live. You can't substitute another song for Streets because Streets has no substitute (Bad, when they play it right, comes closest). Born to Run is the only song I can think of by any other artist that occupies the same space as Streets. But I think even Bruce can get away without playing Born to Run (mainly because Bruce sweats buckets of blood, tears & passion for every show and every song).

Well actually, they played Streets fewer times on the recent Joshua Tree tour than they had any other tour. So I'm not sure why Streets would need more of a "rest" after the last tour than any other.

Let's also remember that not everyone sees every tour. And for many people, Tulsa will be their first, and perhaps only, U2 show. So I've never really understood the "give the song a rest" argument. Everyone who buys a ticket deserves to hear that song live. Especially given the prices they're charging for this show.

All that said, hopefully this is just another Interference meltdown that I'll regret having fallen for, and they end up playing the song.
Streets is the highlight of the show for me, no two ways about it. I treat every show that I go to like it could be the last one I get to see. Lets face it, the band isn't getting any younger and between accidents, Larry quitting the band after this tour (lol) and "mysterious brushes with death", who knows if they tour again. If I didn't get to see Streets one more time live, I would be really bummed.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 AM
For what it's worth, tomorrow night should be good for the "interesting stats/milestones" gurus:

- First performance of Acrobat ever
- First tour performance of a Pop song in a tour show since 2005, and that was only two performances of Discothèque
- First performance of Wild Horses since 2006
- First performance of ABOY since 2005
- First tour show without TJT songs since 1985
- The Ocean... oh hey that's kind of cool
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
- First performance of Acrobat ever
- First tour performance of a Pop song in a tour show since 2005, and that was only two performances of Discothèque
A surprise, to be sure. But a welcome one.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

U2start.com | E&I Tour Rehearsals (Spoilers)

Quote:
30 April: (final dress rehearsal, expected to be the final one and the setlist for opening night)

Love Is All We Have Left (over PA, with Bono singing live to his own voice during the first part)
The Blackout
Lights of Home
Beautiful Day / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
The Ocean
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves / Songs of Experience: Introduction poem from William Blake (snippet)
Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Intermission: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Remix over PA, presumably by Gavin Friday)

Elevation (with Influx Remix intro)
Vertigo / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
Desire (Hollywood Remix version)
(Speech by mr. MacPhisto)
Acrobat
You’re The Best Thing About Me (acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (acoustic)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City Of Blinding Lights

Encore, preceded by the song Women Of The World Take Over by Jim O’Rourke:
One
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrobat?, experience, innocence, lots of hits, play pop fuckers, play streets, rehearsals, soundcheck, tour, u2