***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obligatory "Magnificent should've been the first single for NLOTH but they really shouldn't have had any singles because the album works as a piece without those tacked on middle three that you could replace with Soon and Winter" post.

If Bono had name dropped all 50 US capitals during those awkward pauses at the beginning of the live versions, it would've been a hit

They were a Broadway production for ZooTV, and I certainly wouldn't have asked for that show to be more fluid. Couldn't get that experience anywhere else.

fair point but if ZooTv were happening today we'd be having the exact same set of complaints (pun intended) and the same debate.

they got away with it then for obvious reasons. but this is the Experience Tour after all. they might consider using it, their Experience that is.

fair point but if ZooTv were happening today we'd be having the exact same set of complaints (pun intended) and the same debate.

they got away with it then for obvious reasons. but this is the Experience Tour after all. they might consider using it, their Experience that is.

Also have to remember that the "warhorses" in 1992 were still much less overplayed than they feel now 26 years later. Can't really compare.

The fact that the band hyped that they would play more rare material this tour, and then end up getting about 2 songs that fit that description is pretty sad.

Also have to remember that the "warhorses" in 1992 were still much less overplayed than they feel now 26 years later. Can't really compare.

The fact that the band hyped that they would play more rare material this tour, and then end up getting about 2 songs that fit that description is pretty sad.

exactly

Believe me, during the first leg of the ZooTV tour, there were plenty of complainers about the absence of songs from the first 3 albums. I remember the walk out of the arenas after the Tempe and one of the LA dates, random fans all around us were bitching hard about the band not playing any early 80's songs. A few people after the Tempe show were actually crying about the how drastically the band had changed from the Joshua Tree days.

Believe me, during the first leg of the ZooTV tour, there were plenty of complainers about the absence of songs from the first 3 albums. I remember the walk out of the arenas after the Tempe and one of the LA dates, random fans all around us were bitching hard about the band not playing any early 80's songs. A few people after the Tempe show were actually crying about the how drastically the band had changed from the Joshua Tree days.

God... imagine if they had the Internet then! They'd probably make the people on Usenet who thought The Fly was the end of the band look pretty swell in comparison.

Just came back from 2 nights of Vegas. Flew out Friday came back Sunday. Man I'm getting older...

Pretty surprised reading everyone's comments on the show. I avoided all spoilers going in so I was fired up on Friday and then blown away. Thematically the setlist flowed really well. I think they just needed to add one more song before One.

Band seemed really into it. I watched Larry alot during the show and he seemed to really hit a switch for this tour. He was really into it. And Bono sounded very good. To me much stronger than the JT Tour.

Highlights. The intro!! The whole pace/setup reminded me so much of Zoo TV. U2 strongest intro since Mofo. I lost my mind when I got I Will Follow, Gloria, Red Flag Day. RFD needs to stay. Everyone in the crowd was into it.

Was nice to hear Iris, Cedarwood Road, & Raised By Wolves again. And the HMTMKM intro was great. The B side performance...Wow! U2 was on fire by this point. As much as Elevation & Veritgo need a break they brought the house down! I had a feeling Acrobat was coming. And then I heard Edge strumming the intro and then BOOM!! That was about as close of U2 90's I felt in a long time. Bono gave the band the space to play as needed sometimes.

American Soul...Wow. I hate that song on the album but I was ready to change the world by the end of it live. Killer live tune! And Love Is Bigger was grand. Very moving closure to the past few years/albums for U2. I think they found some peace with these new songs. For them to not play a single JT song I think a message to everyone that there moving on to new things. Weather that is good bye or more albums/tours I really don't know.

AND FINALLY. Staring At The Sun. I know its acoustic and might not be the Pop song us Pop fans wanted (I'm one of them) but I got pretty teary eyed during it. I was 19 in Vegas where I heard the butchered version, haha. And now I'm 40 years old with 2 boys (one loves the Best Thing & one loves Red Flag Day) who in their own way know who U2 are because there still going (& their Dad). Lot of thoughts during that song. Last Pop song I heard in full was 2001 'Please' & a 'Discotheque snippet in 2011.

Wonderful shows from U2. There still rocking! Friday was better and I hope everyone going to the shows enjoy them. Very emotional & thrilling shows.

Just came back from 2 nights of Vegas. Flew out Friday came back Sunday. Man I'm getting older...

Pretty surprised reading everyone's comments on the show. I avoided all spoilers going in so I was fired up on Friday and then blown away. Thematically the setlist flowed really well. I think they just needed to add one more song before One.

Band seemed really into it. I watched Larry alot during the show and he seemed to really hit a switch for this tour. He was really into it. And Bono sounded very good. To me much stronger than the JT Tour.

Highlights. The intro!! The whole pace/setup reminded me so much of Zoo TV. U2 strongest intro since Mofo. I lost my mind when I got I Will Follow, Gloria, Red Flag Day. RFD needs to stay. Everyone in the crowd was into it.

Was nice to hear Iris, Cedarwood Road, & Raised By Wolves again. And the HMTMKM intro was great. The B side performance...Wow! U2 was on fire by this point. As much as Elevation & Veritgo need a break they brought the house down! I had a feeling Acrobat was coming. And then I heard Edge strumming the intro and then BOOM!! That was about as close of U2 90's I felt in a long time. Bono gave the band the space to play as needed sometimes.

American Soul...Wow. I hate that song on the album but I was ready to change the world by the end of it live. Killer live tune! And Love Is Bigger was grand. Very moving closure to the past few years/albums for U2. I think they found some peace with these new songs. For them to not play a single JT song I think a message to everyone that there moving on to new things. Weather that is good bye or more albums/tours I really don't know.

AND FINALLY. Staring At The Sun. I know its acoustic and might not be the Pop song us Pop fans wanted (I'm one of them) but I got pretty teary eyed during it. I was 19 in Vegas where I heard the butchered version, haha. And now I'm 40 years old with 2 boys (one loves the Best Thing & one loves Red Flag Day) who in their own way know who U2 are because there still going (& their Dad). Lot of thoughts during that song. Last Pop song I heard in full was 2001 'Please' & a 'Discotheque snippet in 2011.

Wonderful shows from U2. There still rocking! Friday was better and I hope everyone going to the shows enjoy them. Very emotional & thrilling shows.

Glad you had such a good time! Tomorrow's my day and I'm hyped.

I think the shame is that there are some incredible songs that would fit so well thematically with the show. Kite, Gone, Please, and Mofo stand out to me. And would all be well received.

I do like a good portion of this setlist. I think the front half is just incredible.

Meh... 1.5

Staring At The Sun might be rare, but it's not the song off that album people were hoping for

I think the shame is that there are some incredible songs that would fit so well thematically with the show. Kite, Gone, Please, and Mofo stand out to me. And would all be well received.

I do like a good portion of this setlist. I think the front half is just incredible.
It's clear now after a few shows that very little effort was put into coming up with the set this go around.

Yes, they're playing Acrobat. But everyone knew that was the white whale. They didn't have to think about that one.

Just a ton of SOI/SOE material at the show.

Love Is All We Have Left
Blackout
Lights of Home
Red Flag Day
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Raised By Wolves
Best Thing
Out of Your Own Way
American Soul
Love Is Bigger

And all that was played at the 1st show. I would never expect them to play that many new songs from the last 2 albums.

The only dull part for me was Sunday Bloody Sunday. And One was kind of blah...I've just had a enough of it. Encore of

Discotheque or Fly
Kite
Love is Bigger

Would be a perfect end.

There was another song before One. Too bad they unceremoniously cut it after the first fucking show.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a few weeks nor really checked the board at all.

I went to the show in St. Louis and left a pretty happy camper. I think the encore can use some more juice for sure, but I didn't leave the concert going "aw man, that's it?"

Wish I got to see Red Flag Day and Wild Horses, but hoping at the least the former is played on the east coast. More hope than the latter.

Didn't even notice the lack of Joshua Tree songs, but again, put Streets somewhere in the final encore and it's probably changing (I'm guessing there's complaints about the encore) people's perceptions. Don't think Love is Bigger is really the hit they want it to be.

One - Streets- Love is Bigger - 13 to end the show would work very nicely, or some combination of that. Put Wild Horses elsewhere and rotate songs like I Will Follow, Desire.

Should also add Landlady where Song for Someone was too, but now I'm getting greedy.

Again, the concert was excellent, and I didn't leave disappointed. My girlfriend who was a non-fan and now is a pretty decent fan loved it and can't wait to go to a couple more with me, fwiw. And she's as casual as it gets.

I can accept them not rotating too much but I have trouble accepting them cutting a song with no replacement. If they can't handle consecutive nights, then they need to schedule more breaks.

Just curious, but did you go to the two shows in Vegas? If you did go then I can understand a minor gripe. But given how expensive tickets are this tour, I'm sure U2 realizes that the vast majority of their audience will only attend one show. If a person is only attending one show, why would they care one tiny bit about song rotation? If you didn't go both nights, who cares? U2 aren't playing a show to people reading setlists on fan forums...

Just curious, but did you go to the two shows in Vegas? If you did go then I can understand a minor gripe. But given how expensive tickets are this tour, I'm sure U2 realizes that the vast majority of their audience will only attend one show. If a person is only attending one show, why would they care one tiny bit about song rotation? If you didn't go both nights, who cares? U2 aren't playing a show to people reading setlists on fan forums...
A few minor problems with this.

First, their whole excuse of wanting to play the best possible U2 show for those who will only see them once goes out the window when they ignore their biggest selling album.

They also are playing Acrobat specifically for the more for hard fan, so they definitely had the site hard in mind for at least part of the set.

I think most of us gave up on any idea of them turning into Springsteen or Pearl Jam when it comes to set rotation a long long time ago. But you'd think they'd get tired in playing the exact same shit every night strictly from a creative sense.

Given that Sil had asked about Two Hearts Beat as One in 2015 (and they played it later that night), I guess there’s a chance it’ll happen soon.

If it does happen, it’ll be another point for the trainspotters. :wink:

Hah. Sil posted an Instagram video from the Forum line meeting Bono and asked him if they’re gonna play The Showman tonight. He froze while thinking how to respond. It does sound like we’ll still get it at some point.
His reaction was pretty funny.

It’s a good song but I don’t think it should be a permanent part of the set. A fun e stage song to throw in the mix every now and then. Sounds a bit empty live.

Back
Top Bottom