***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, I suck at avoiding spoilers. I figured San Jose, 3rd show of the tour? I can hold out.

April 9th rehearsals start. Eh, let me just peek in to get a taste since it’ll be random songs practiced.

Days later- ok, looks like a working setlist. I’ll erase from memory and be surprised at the show.

Days later. On paper, this setlist is a pile of horseshit with some gems thrown in.

Days later. Alright, if I avoid hearing it or seeing it, it’s still a surprise.

Opening night. Man, this mixlr is buffering too much. Why would she shut it off right before Acrobat?

Minutes later... fuck, Acrobat sounded awesome. Can’t wait to see it on Monday.

Next morning. Alright, just gonna watch Acrobat.

5 minutes later. Alright, just a few seconds of Lights of Home because the stage looks cool in this YouTube thumbnail. And, I should figure out where to stand for a good view.

5 minutes later. Hmm... I didn’t expect that version. I wonder how they bridged it from The Blackout?

You can spoil a plot to a movie. I don’t believe you can spoil a u2 show

Especially since this is sequel to previous tour.

Looking at the setlist, here's what could be fixed with some slight adjustments -- realistically speaking.

Love Is All We Have Left
The Blackout
Lights Of Home
Beautiful Day
Last Night On Earth
I Will Follow
The Ocean
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Red Flag Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Landlady
Until the End of the World / Let It Rain (snippet)
(Intermission - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)
Elevation
Vertigo
The Showman (introduction to MacPhisto)
Acrobat
Book of Your Heart (perfect for channeling MacPhisto, very ZOOTV)
Van Diemen's Land (makes perfect sense with justice/injustice and band a time to take a break)
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
City of Blinding Lights

encore(s):
One
Love Is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
13 (There Is A Light)
The Little Things That Give You Away

More songs from SoE and less recycled stuff or oddly placed songs, 11 songs from SOE to be correct.

Last edited:
You. Me. Steps of the Opera House (the SOH, if you will). It's goin' down.

they absolutely do not need Streets to save the encore of this show.

Wild Horses
Bad
All I Want is You
The Little Things...

would send the place home very happy.

So moving on from the enlightening Aussie convo...I think I fixed the setlist, I tried to substitute certain songs in the set with other songs that had similar themes but I tried to make the show more experience focused instead of innocence and take advantage of the newer and cooler screen so I chose songs that I think would have cool visuals, additionally I tried to make sure it was lighter on stuff that was played on JT 2017 and I+E aside from the big hits:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. The Blackout
3. Lights of Home
4. Beautiful Day
5. Discotheque (to kick off the mini Pop set and replace All Because of You)
6. Gone (replacing I Will Follow)
7. Mofo (replacing Iris, they're both about Bono's mom but Mofo is from an older man's perspective)
8. Kite (replacing Cedarwood Road as this song's about Bono's dad)
9. Landlady (replacing Song for Someone, this is the Ali song)
10. Seconds (always felt this song had a bigger world focus than SBS thus fits more with experience plus it shows they were writing about experience at an early age)
11. Please (replacing Raised By Wolves, this is more of an experience song)
12. Until the End of the World (duh)
*intermission* Numb
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (this should kick off the encore, it's one of their best live songs and playing a prerecorded version in the intermission is a cop out, replacing Elevation)
14. The Fly (replacing Vertigo)
15. A Man and a Woman (here's where the acousticish section starts, replacing Staring at the Sun
16. You're the Best Thing About Me
17. Desire (full band)
18. Acrobat
19. Bullet the Blue Sky
20. Drowning Man (used as a transition piece like Zooropa on I+E)
21. Where the Streets Have No Name (replacing City of Blinding Lights)
22. Pride
23. Get Out Of Your Own Way
24. American Soul
*encore break*
25. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
26. All I Want Is You (replacing One)
27. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way

So moving on from the enlightening Aussie convo...I think I fixed the setlist, I tried to substitute certain songs in the set with other songs that had similar themes but I tried to make the show more experience focused instead of innocence and take advantage of the newer and cooler screen so I chose songs that I think would have cool visuals, additionally I tried to make sure it was lighter on stuff that was played on JT 2017 and I+E aside from the big hits:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. The Blackout
3. Lights of Home
4. Beautiful Day
5. Discotheque (to kick off the mini Pop set and replace All Because of You)
6. Gone (replacing I Will Follow)
7. Mofo (replacing Iris, they're both about Bono's mom but Mofo is from an older man's perspective)
8. Kite (replacing Cedarwood Road as this song's about Bono's dad)
9. Landlady (replacing Song for Someone, this is the Ali song)
10. Seconds (always felt this song had a bigger world focus than SBS thus fits more with experience plus it shows they were writing about experience at an early age)
11. Please (replacing Raised By Wolves, this is more of an experience song)
12. Until the End of the World (duh)
*intermission* Numb
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (this should kick off the encore, it's one of their best live songs and playing a prerecorded version in the intermission is a cop out, replacing Elevation)
14. The Fly (replacing Vertigo)
15. A Man and a Woman (here's where the acousticish section starts, replacing Staring at the Sun
16. You're the Best Thing About Me
17. Desire (full band)
18. Acrobat
19. Bullet the Blue Sky
20. Drowning Man (used as a transition piece like Zooropa on I+E)
21. Where the Streets Have No Name (replacing City of Blinding Lights)
22. Pride
23. Get Out Of Your Own Way
24. American Soul
*encore break*
25. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
26. All I Want Is You (replacing One)
27. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way

This would be a great set. I’d just substitute Red Flag Day at 23 and Summer of Love at 24.

This would be a great set. I’d just substitute Red Flag Day at 23 and Summer of Love at 24.

Me too, but I tried to be realistic, as much as I'd like them to not play Get Out and American Soul, it's not going to happen.

The Fly, a hit single that was done in rehearsals last month, isn't realistic?

But yeah, the main problem with that set is the run from Discotheque to UTEOTW. It's fucking glorious, but there need to be a couple of bigger songs to keep the whole audience onside.

Figuring we're stuck with the pee break of Get Out & American Soul but also knowing they were ok with dropping RBW and SFS (and Streets), my latest take is:
Love Is All We Have Left
The Blackout
Lights of Home
Beautiful Day
The Best Thing
I Will Follow
The Ocean
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Landlady with SFS coda
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Please
UTEOTW
-Elevation Influx PA-
HMTMKMKM
Acrobat
The Showman
Desire
Vertigo
Red Flag Day
Staring at the Sun
-
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Get Out of Your Own Way
American Soul
City of Blinding Lights
-
WGRYWH
One
TLTTGYA
Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way (with 13 coda)

You tried to be realistic, aside from four songs off Pop and two deep cuts from War?

Pop had a very recent reissue, Seconds is a pretty easy song to do, and Drowning Man would be used as a short transition piece.

But yeah, the main problem with that set is the run from Discotheque to UTEOTW. It's fucking glorious, but there need to be a couple of bigger songs to keep the whole audience onside.

Throw in Elevation in there somewhere, fuck it we'll do it live

Back
Top Bottom