***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering last night during that part of the show how many people actually understand what is happening and who this character is. Some looked a little confused.

That, and the filter that is being used wasn't working very well. I was confused by the whole thing. Other than the voice and a few facial expressions, how would anyone know what the heck what bono was doing (let alone the 'casual' fans)?

I think if they can get the Snapchat or whatever filter working better, there will be less of an issue.

I think it would have worked better if he slapped makeup on while in the barricage, alas.

I also think it's hilarious that he probably came up with this idea making deer faces on snap with his daughter.

The MacPhisto section could be fantastic with a few minor tweaks.

I wonder if Bono holding the mic in front of face is messing up the AR system? They should try to use a clip on mic during that section.

I thought the setlist was pretty cool. I think the first 9 songs were a good idea and flow. SFS into SBS? eeehhhhh Not so much.

But then another great string of songs, i'd say until they hit the Get Out / Am Soul spot.

That said - It's hard to overstate the balls of a 42 year old band, with members hitting 60 years old, not playing one song from one of the seminal rock albums of the past century.

Now with THAT being said, one my good friends that i work with went to the Tulsa show. He is a casual U2 fan, and this was his first U2 show. He likes everything from Radiohead to Judas Priest to some pop and country.
He loved the show, but he said he really wanted to see Streets, and the two video clips he posted on Facebook after the show were of Pride and SBS... and He thought the XXX part was really cool. So yeah, thats what a lot of people want.

It does have to be tough for the band to promote their new stuff, not go too far into the full hits thing, but know they have a catalog that is just brimming with hits people want to see.

At some point, i think it would be cool if U2 did a Hits/Hidden Gems type tour. They could only play in cities that would support at least 2 back to back shows. First night would be all the hits. All of them. And the next night would be no "hits" just a big night of amazing material like Gone, Hawkmoon, Kite, Please, Zooropa, No Line, Landlady, Wire, Drowning Man, God Part II, Dirty Day, Love is Blindness, When I look at the world, Exit, Lemon, The Troubles, the list goes on and on

I think it would be a really successful run. They would have a huge amount of people that would buy tickets for both nights. Much higher percentage than normal because they know they would be getting two completely unique shows.

Yes, it would never happen because the band would never want to learn all the older lesser known stuff, but i think it would be incredible.

The irony of the Streets freakout was that the only unplayed songs the Tulsa review mentioned were With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, not Streets.

Frankly those songs are far better known and get more radio play.
Streets is of course the better live song, but if you've never seen U2 before you don't know that and its probably a lot further down the list of U2 song popularity with the general public than the masses here think.

For the casual fan who knows U2 from listening to the radio over the last few decades, Easily it ranks behind:
WOWY
Still haven't Found
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
One

Maybe a couple others

And those folks would miss those songs more than Streets. Now if they had previously been at a show and experienced Streets live, the answer would be different.

Frankly those songs are far better known and get more radio play.
Streets is of course the better live song, but if you've never seen U2 before you don't know that and its probably a lot further down the list of U2 song popularity with the general public than the masses here think.

For the casual fan who knows U2 from listening to the radio over the last few decades, Easily it ranks behind:
WOWY
Still haven't Found
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
One

Maybe a couple others

And those folks would miss those songs more than Streets. Now if they had previously been at a show and experienced Streets live, the answer would be different.
I think it's a little higher on the list than you have it, but I agree with the overall point that it's not the first song most casual fans point to (unless they've seen it live already).

Top U2 Songs

Google Play
1. With or Without You
2. Beautiful Day
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. One
5. Where The Streets Have No Name

Apple Music
1. XXX ft U2 (ha!)
2. With or Without You
3. Beautiful Day
4. Where The Streets Have No Name
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Spotify
1. With or Without You
2. Beautiful Day
3. One
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

This was my point when I said Bruce's Streets is Jungleland vs Born To Run. The casuals may all point to Born To Run, and it's a great live tune, but Jungleland is where the magic is.

Best Thing should follow Beautiful Day. Screw Gavin Friday, I got this shizz figured out

I think it would have worked better if he slapped makeup on while in the barricage, alas.

He had some painted on Spock eyebrows! When Elevation started, I actually thought they had switched out Bono for a fake Bono as a gimmick because his face looked really odd. Then I realized he had makeup on and that things were going to get weird / interesting.

I wonder if Bono holding the mic in front of face is messing up the AR system? They should try to use a clip on mic during that section.

You’re right, because every time he held the mic up close to his face, it went away.

I've always thought Iris was a nice song, but there was one thing stopping me from loving it, or thinking it was one of the stronger songs off SoI.

"Something in your eyes
Took a thousand years to get here
Something in your eyes
Took a thousand years, a thousand years"

I think they could be some of Bono's worst lyrics since, well, "A mole digging in a hole"! The fact that they came just as the song was just building grated me even more.

Now that these lyrics are an afterthought, right at the end of the song, that's an improvement in my book.

I certainly wouldn't put them in the same category as Elevation's lyrics, but, y'know, different strokes. It just feels off musically with the ramp-up to the "hold me close" bit removed. Reminds me of how they messed around with Mercy on 360, or the way Miracle Drug was played early on in the I+E tour.

Last edited:
The MacPhisto section could be fantastic with a few minor tweaks.

Agreed.... As Headache said rotating HMTMKMKM/The Fly would be awesome..... Maybe play LWTSH on the intermission break.

I don't think that they are ever going to play anything from NLOTH ever again. In 2015 they played Magnificent only once and they scrapped it. :sad:

I've always thought Iris was a nice song, but there was one thing stopping me from loving it, or thinking it was one of the stronger songs off SoI.

"Something in your eyes
Took a thousand years to get here
Something in your eyes
Took a thousand years, a thousand years"

I think they could be some of Bono's worst lyrics since, well, "A mole digging in a hole"! The fact that they came just as the song was just building grated me even more.

Now that these lyrics are an afterthought, right at the end of the song, that's an improvement in my book.

I certainly wouldn't put them in the same category as Elevation's lyrics, but, y'know, different strokes. It just feels off musically with the ramp-up to the "hold me close" bit removed. Reminds me of how they messed around with Mercy on 360, or the way Miracle Drug was played early on in the I+E tour.

The only way to fix Iris is to eliminate that "woo woo" Chris Martin bullshit.

The only way to fix Iris is to eliminate that "woo woo" Chris Martin bullshit.

This...... Oh CRAP I did screw it up!!! I missed the "T"...... All my work DOWN THE DRAIN! I guess I'm back to zero days without screwing up an acronym. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom