Soe tour scepticism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pop2thezoo

Babyface
Ok so this tour. I'm really not sure. Huge fan since '83. But now? HUGE ticket prices which appall me. I do not want to hear all the predictable hits again. Not interested to hear sbs,pride, still havnt found, 1, bday, elevation, wowy, m ways, blah blah blah let's have a different, unpredictable setlist. Appreciate the sings will fit around the cinematic aspect, but let's make it interesting / challenging, for band & audience. And let's have some anger back in there, let the demons back on the stage. So many sings could be tried. The refugee- how fitting is that for now? 11 o clock tick tock? Mofo? A full on disco thumping discotheque? Crumbs from your table as 4th or 5th song? I Hope cedarwood rd & iris, and a full proper version of the troubles with extended edge solo, book of your heart would be nice. Slug (always sounded like a dream sequence to me)!, please, Gloria, dirty day, exit would be a must for me. Stories for boys would be amazing to replace I will follow.. If streets is a must then I would end with running to stand (zoo tv tour style)/(then bathe the arena in red smoke for an extended intro into streets/40. If they must do pride then throw it away early, without a big intro, 2 choruses then let the crowd take over and sing it until they tire! Soe songs guess at least 6 or 7, could be some really interesting arrangements. So basically they need to really kick ass this tour to silence all critics, including myself. Not be lazy fat rock stars. Different sets with multiple songs challenging for a slot, definatly a different set for each night at multiple dates, at least 5-6 differences. How many songs? I would hope for 27-28. If Neil diamond could do it at 77 or whatever then they really have no excuse. Theyve had our hard earned cash so let's see a result for it. And please less politics/speeches/opinions. Paid to see u2, not the bono show. Ok now you can slag me off!!! Interested to hear comments.

To be fair I agree with most of your post , but their set list is so corporate theatre like that they will never shake it up, I still go as the shows are still worth it but I also go with hope that they may play some of those buried gems you mentioned

I'm the same, I feel I have to go, because i don't want to miss out, but I'd like to get back to really wanting to go! Wish they'd please the true fans rather than the casuals.

These posts are a dime a dozen on any band's message board, really. :lol:

Easy fix though... if you don't like it, don't see it. I'm sure Prince and Soundgarden fans are laughing at us anyway for picking on the little things, which to be fair, we all do most of the time.

Also most bands tend to have a fixed set list that is focused on the new album. And don’t rotate anything at all. Even Foo Fighters have quite a static set list now compared to earlier tours of theirs.

As being also a Bruce Springsteen fan I am spoiled with marathon gigs with filled with spontaneity. But most aren’t like that.

I'd be very happy with just songs from Soi+soe. I could not go see them obviously. But as this is a discussion thing I just wandered how others felt. Went to 8 elevation shows in a row and they were all brilliant, and been to 20 other shows. Got tickets for the 2 London shows. Will see how the tour go's and decide whether to go or not. But surely £208 for 1 average seat face value is obscene, or maybe just me. Come back Mr mcguiness??

I don’t think many people disagree on the pricing issue. It can be a pain for some and that’s partially why I’ve always gravitated for the GA option when it’s available. Since I don’t mind standing, timing arrivals for decent spots and a bit of patience in trying to secure such a ticket (particularly for arena shows), I can’t really argue for paying less than $100 each time. Some similar-sized acts charge a bit more for that in GA sections as well.

Granted, not everyone can do that option each time. So there’s trade-off either way… and some bands are charging a bit more than U2 does for their seats as well. In the end, I just accept it for what it is and do what’s best for me in the end (personally and financially).

Also most bands tend to have a fixed set list that is focused on the new album. And don’t rotate anything at all. Even Foo Fighters have quite a static set list now compared to earlier tours of theirs.

As being also a Bruce Springsteen fan I am spoiled with marathon gigs with filled with spontaneity. But most aren’t like that.

I’d argue almost all shows aren’t like that even. In terms of newer stuff, I was on a Killers message board recently and there was a topic about how the US was “only” getting 5 new songs at each tour, compared to the extra 1 or 2 that their UK and Ireland gigs got. Or something along those lines anyway. I tried reminding a few people that some acts only play 2 or 3 new songs, if that. So I guess it just depends on where you're coming from and what you'd personally expect.

I caught the Foos a few times last year and there was a few songs that differed each night, although Dave Grohl having a cold might've contributed to that a bit. Still got at least 4-5 new songs each night though.

Ok so this tour. I'm really not sure. Huge fan since '83. But now? HUGE ticket prices which appall me. I do not want to hear all the predictable hits again. Not interested to hear sbs,pride, still havnt found, 1, bday, elevation, wowy, m ways, blah blah blah let's have a different, unpredictable setlist. Appreciate the sings will fit around the cinematic aspect, but let's make it interesting / challenging, for band & audience. And let's have some anger back in there, let the demons back on the stage. So many sings could be tried. The refugee- how fitting is that for now? 11 o clock tick tock? Mofo? A full on disco thumping discotheque? Crumbs from your table as 4th or 5th song? I Hope cedarwood rd & iris, and a full proper version of the troubles with extended edge solo, book of your heart would be nice. Slug (always sounded like a dream sequence to me)!, please, Gloria, dirty day, exit would be a must for me. Stories for boys would be amazing to replace I will follow.. If streets is a must then I would end with running to stand (zoo tv tour style)/(then bathe the arena in red smoke for an extended intro into streets/40. If they must do pride then throw it away early, without a big intro, 2 choruses then let the crowd take over and sing it until they tire! Soe songs guess at least 6 or 7, could be some really interesting arrangements. So basically they need to really kick ass this tour to silence all critics, including myself. Not be lazy fat rock stars. Different sets with multiple songs challenging for a slot, definatly a different set for each night at multiple dates, at least 5-6 differences. How many songs? I would hope for 27-28. If Neil diamond could do it at 77 or whatever then they really have no excuse. Theyve had our hard earned cash so let's see a result for it. And please less politics/speeches/opinions. Paid to see u2, not the bono show. Ok now you can slag me off!!! Interested to hear comments.

What a great new challenging thought. This doesn’t get brought up every tour.

But points for using Neil Diamond as a benchmark.

I find this ‘I’ve been a fan since...’ but I’m just now realizing U2 is a political band that has never had a varied setlist thing very interesting.

I agree with your ticket price issue, I think £206 for at ticket is scandalous and obviously so do most fans as I see tickets in that price bracket are still available at Manchester.
Bands changing set lists every show can't work when the songs usually have a specific video to go with them, so they can only have a certain number of songs for each tour with a few changes here and there.
Also a lot of the fans going want a greatest hits show( not me personally though)

HUGE ticket prices which appall me.
Agreed
And please less politics/speeches/opinions.
With this I definately agree. a bit of politics is ok, U2 is a political band. But please not too much speeching. It's boring, it's embarassing..It's so dull to hear him all the time talking about Africa, AIDS, etc. Stuff I generally agree with him. It's preaching to the choir...Let the music do the talking. Also, the dedication of Ultraviolet to 'the great women that we know' in the JT tour was so unbelievable stupid!

For the rest, I couldn't disagree more with you. If the E&I tour comes close to the I&E tour, it will be GREAT. It was the best U2 live experience I had since the Elevaton Tour.. They were at their best in 2015! Hope to see the same this year.

Iris through Until The End Of The World was one of the best live stretches in the band's history. It was breathtaking; as was Bullet-Zooropa-Streets.

If they can recapture even a bit of that magic on this go around, it'll be pretty special. I also wonder how the increased screen resolution will work, specifically when they are inside the screen.

I'd give up all of the theatrics and mindfuck visuals if U2 would simply play a rotating set... but we know that's never happening, so I'm hoping they blow us away visually again.

The problem is always.....IF they play a rare song you want to be there and you want to kill yourself if you skipped the tour because of the reasons OP mentioned :(

I think it will be a great tour. I agree with some of what the OP has said, I think certain songs should be retired or at least played in rotation. I think this is the tour to do a rotating set list and throw in some rarities.

We had a fair amount of that on the I+E tour a couple of years ago, especially on the B stage they shook things up a little bit. With the likes of Electric Co, UTEOTW, Out Of Control making appearances this year in arenas I think we could see a different kind of show and set list this year.

I would be very disappointed if they kept the setlist stale and similar to JT last year

So basically they need to really kick ass this tour to silence all critics, including myself. Not be lazy fat rock stars.

I thought they kicked ass last tour.

I'd expect nothing less this time around, especially if the "Larry is retiring" rumor is true.

I've made a point of seeing them multiple times beginning with the ZOO TV tour, knowing that each tour may be the last.

It's been a great ride since they keep on keeping on . . . . . but that last tour may be here, sadly and finally.

Iris through Until The End Of The World was one of the best live stretches in the band's history. It was breathtaking; as was Bullet-Zooropa-Streets.

If they can recapture even a bit of that magic on this go around, it'll be pretty special. I also wonder how the increased screen resolution will work, specifically when they are inside the screen.

I'd give up all of the theatrics and mindfuck visuals if U2 would simply play a rotating set... but we know that's never happening, so I'm hoping they blow us away visually again.

This. 1st half of SOI Tour was amazing. Theater meets Rock n Roll

2nd half was a train wreck of sort (Crowd on stage, inside screen, greatest hits galore)

Not interested to hear sbs,pride, still havnt found, 1, bday, elevation, wowy, m ways, blah blah blah let's have a different, unpredictable setlist.

They'll do a different setlist if they want to. the hits is what they are known for. Even though I really want them to play NLOTH,MOS, UC, they wont do it. only the diehard fans would recognize songs like dirty day, etc. They also play the hits for people who just go to their concerts who aren't fans.

Back
Top Bottom