Soe tour scepticism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll do a different setlist if they want to. the hits is what they are known for. Even though I really want them to play NLOTH,MOS, UC, they wont do it. only the diehard fans would recognize songs like dirty day, etc. They also play the hits for people who just go to their concerts who aren't fans.

Right. Much as the superfans complain about it, they want to make sure they satisfy the casual fan who finally ponied up $300 and wants to hear Elevation dammit!

How would you feel if you paid $300 to see The Eagles and they didn't play Hotel California?

what's pretty disappointing is the ticket prices, as well.

Yep. This will be the first tour I sit out since 2001.This is coming from from someone who has had a non-stop paid fan club membership since it began, bought every dvd, blu-ray, cd (LP Deluxe for the last couple albums)...etc. I certainly don't feel owed anything and am grateful for the music and memories the band has given me, but I cannot justify taking time off work, paying the traveling expenses only to pay (IMO) outrageous prices for tickets.

Before I went to san diego for jt30, I was really picky about them playing the hits. Now, I'm not so picky, although I really want them to play the rare songs. I know they will play Pride, WOWY, etc on every show.

Over the years, I've befriended this one fan who usually attends the same shows I do for GA. For one of the Chicago shows a few years ago, we went to a local coffee shop the same day of the show and sat together for awhile talking. We got around to discussing SOI, which had come out the year before, and he said he didn't particularly take to it or care too much for hearing the songs live. I asked him what he looked forward to hearing instead, and he just replied "I want to hear the hits." And this was a guy who saw them frequently over the years.

I'm with you OP. I log on here every three or four years to basically say the same thing, though I don't quite share the same enthusiasm for the recent material as you do. It's such a shame. The band is sitting on a goldmine catalog of songs that never see the light of day. And differentiating setlists would get me to see multiple shows, even travel to other cities, like with the Dead. Yes, the casuals wouldn't come out in droves, but the diehards would embrace it enthusiastically. And they could make up some of the lost revenue by dropping the enormous, expensive theatrics. Just friggin' play music, ya know?

I'm sure I'll get the usual replies here: "Don't go then" (I won't be), "This band has always been that way, why would you expect them to change now?" (I've changed over thirty-five years of fandom, things do change in life, but somehow they can't?) "The music has to be choreographed to the stage show" (No it doesn't) .

It's all very disappointing. Perhaps they just can't do it. Bono has enough trouble with the lyrics sometimes as it is. Anyway, like I said, just doing my occasional vent therapy here. I know nothing is going to change. Would love to be proved wrong.

I’ve been a hardcore fan since the early 90s. I’d travel to see them in cities such as Chicago, Lexington, and others. I am from Cincinnati Ohio. The last time U2 played here was the October Tour. I am usually really excited when they go on tour but this time I’ve had a hard time getting excited. SOI tour couldn’t go and also during The Joshua Tree tour I was in between jobs and didn’t feel making a big $ purchase was in my family’s best interest.

This time was a little different. I have a great job, I like the new album a lot, but for some reason I am having trouble getting excited about it. I know u2 is always a political band in some respects. I usually ignore it sometimes and even sometimes agree with it to an extent. Lately it’s been hard to ignore and gets old. Also the ticket price almost made me throw up. Before tickets went on sale one of my closest friends called. He lives in Nashville and u2 would be playing their. I agreed to go before I knew prices. U2 is on my friends bucket list so I am excited that he is excited. I just hope this is a great show. That’s my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom