*Rumor* - Larry to retire after E+I tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgemccauley

The Fly
I have seen a few posts on Facebook from multiple people saying this and it appears to be gathering weight. I don’t know the original source but more and more people are talking about it and saying it. I don’t know if anyone knows about it on this forum or not but I thought I’d mention it as it’s worrying.

There is no U2 without Larry Mullen.

I guess this justifies the confirmed rumour that Larry is not on board.

Based on what/who ? What sources? What quote? Unless there is some ‘meat’ to this rumor, then its the same as me saying the toothfairy lives in Adam Clayton’s home.

who cares if it's true. If enough people get on board, Larry will have no choice but to resign.

SOCIAL MEDIA FTW!!!@#@

I get the same vibe from Larry that you get from factory workers who hate their job, but they've got 29 years in and they're just gonna coast through this last year as painlessly as possible until they can retire.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. I hope Bono, Edge and Adam continue without him, even if it won't be the same. I had previously decided to not see a show this tour, mostly due to the distance between me and any nearby shows, and because I just saw them twice last year. But if Tom Petty's (my 2nd favorite music artist) death taught me anything, it's that as your favorite bands age, you never know when the last time will be. I'm so glad I caught Petty's 40th anniversary tour last summer. If this truly may be Larry's last tour, I gotta go. Luckily, there are plenty of tickets left for the 2nd Chicago show, so I'm gonna hit that one.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he called it quits , he looks bored on stage and his body language says as much

I could see him retire from touring but still be part of studio recordings. Bono and Edge look like they really want to keep making new music.

Anyone who followed U2 insider Messr. Fisher's posts has known about this for years. Larry wants to leave to concentrate on his acting career. One day you just start to realise that time is running out to check things off your bucket list, and you can only play the heavy to a certain age. The clock is ticking.

Now that the band is no longer broke thanks to the last two tours ("everything I ever lost now has been returned") the end is nigh. Or at least near.

Last edited:
Well since U2 isnt built around his drumming they would be fine with about any drummer filling the shoes. The way they have described their working progress it seems it is The Edge The band with Bono as vocalist. The Edge seems to be pretty much the boss when it comes to creating new songs and sounds and then Bono fills in with lyrics. They are the ones that can’t be replaced but if Adam and Larry were no one except us die hard fans would notice.

And I wouldn’t hold it against him either if it is the fact he wants to do something else. He also has the pain to deal with.

Well since U2 isnt built around his drumming they would be fine with about any drummer filling the shoes. The way they have described their working progress it seems it is The Edge The band with Bono as vocalist. The Edge seems to be pretty much the boss when it comes to creating new songs and sounds and then Bono fills in with lyrics. They are the ones that can’t be replaced but if Adam and Larry were no one except us die hard fans would notice.

And I wouldn’t hold it against him either if it is the fact he wants to do something else. He also has the pain to deal with.

Is he constantly in pain when performing

Well, until this rumor gets shut down, here is what may be the first time Larry speaks in a band interview from May 1982.

Always make the most of seeing your fave bands only time will tell what happens here but im guessing this will be a proper world tour hit every where & back in EU nx year what ever happens after this tour i doubt we will see them for a while anyway just make the most of this people.

This one time? On the internet? I read that Bono had his hat flown to him in first class.

Whether or not there is any basis to this particular rumor, I have thought that it would come down to Larry as to when the band calls it a day - he was the one who brought the band together, and he will be the one to end it.

I've probably said this in every U2 retirement thread that has ever existed... alas...

U2 are old. We all hope that they are able to continue on for another 10+ years.

This is not common. Yes, there are examples of acts that continue on well into their 60s and 70s. But of the major acts to do so... Bruce, Macca, The Stones, Dylan, The Who...

They are either solo acts or have had a member pass away.

Do you believe U2 would actually continue without a member of the band? I don't.

Every opportunity to see them live, at this point, is precious. Enjoy it. We're in overtime, and eventually the game will be over. Sooner than later. Don't take it doesn't granted, and if it continues longer? Great. But don't expect it.

I'm comfortable with how much I've seen them live. I've seen them in their absolute prime and know how good they can be, and U2 shows, for me, aren't what they once were. None of this is their fault, they're older and it's natural and I know they absolutely put their heart and soul into every performance, but a U2 show isn't the transcendent experience for me it once was.

In truth I would have been OK skipping the I+E and JT20 tours but I was able to score tickets to both just before the shows so thought why not. I'm not buying tickets yet for this tour, and haven't specifically looked for them, but I'll probably end up going if it works out that I can.

It is hard to imagine U2 continuing without Larry, but that's because I've been a fan for a long time and know how important their chemistry and friendship is to them as musicians and individuals. I have no idea if Bono and Larry are still friends but I do know they're family. But that said truthfully if Larry were gone I don't think it would make much difference in their recording, and certainly the average person wouldn't even miss him on tour (the same goes forAdam).

That's all to say, at one time I couldn't imagine it, and I'd have said it's the automatic end of U2, period. And that's probably still the case. But I do think if he left the band would only call it quits if the rest of them were ready to, and it felt like it was time anyway. If Bono, Edge and Adam really still felt the desire to make records and tour, and I don't think they'd just ditch it solely because Larry left.

Of course, it's entirely possible that all of this has already been decided internally within the band one way or another.

Please tell me you're kidding...

Except for the times I was kidding, I've been completely serious every time I've spoken about Fisher.

Last edited:
A band could stop at any time for a whole variety of reasons. But telling someone that their "done" or "old" just because of their age is ignorant and discriminatory.

Two bands each with average ages older than U2 are launching a 58 city tour of the United States in May. Def Leppard and Journey. Yes, there has been a death in Def Leppard. Steve Clark died when he was 30. Just goes to show that you never take anything for granted no matter what age you are. Age is just a number.

I really hope it's not true. But if it is, I would have no problem if Bono, Edge and Adam wanted to tour with a replacement. I'd still go to the shows. Maybe they'd get a more lively drummer who actually wanted to be there!!

This has convinced me that I need to see them this year. Even if this rumor is not realistic, it could still be the last chance I get.

A band could stop at any time for a whole variety of reasons. But telling someone that their "done" or "old" just because of their age is ignorant and discriminatory.

Two bands each with average ages older than U2 are launching a 58 city tour of the United States in May. Def Leppard and Journey. Yes, there has been a death in Def Leppard. Steve Clark died when he was 30. Just goes to show that you never take anything for granted no matter what age you are. Age is just a number.
Comparing def Leppard and journey to U2 is as ridiculous as taking Fisher seriously.

Yea... U2 will continue after Larry retires with a U2 tribute band Larry in his place.

Come on Sting. Don't be stupid

Larry should've quit in about 1978.

Anyway, it's time for Bono to realise his long-held ambition to be a drummer.

This one time? On the internet? I read that Bono had his hat flown to him in first class.

I read he was clapping at a concert and then said "every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies" and then some dude yelled "well stop fucking clapping then"

Back
Top Bottom