Missing The Big Ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The majority of folks in this place have seen U2 live many times, myself included (~8 for me). I remember first hearing them in 1997 and Streets and With or With out you were incredible. Likely not the best U2 played them but for me, the first time it made me grin from ear to ear because these songs, these hits, I had been listening to all my life and I not only was able to hear them live but to hear 50k people scream out loud every line was next level stuff for me. Then in 2001, to hear Bad, pride, etc… was just as amazing. Every show after that, these songs just made me smile when they were played. Yes, they have been played to death but what makes a U2 show a U2 show are these songs that most of us grew up with and love.

Anyway, I was just on YouTube and came across the series finale scene for this show called The Americans about Russian spies that just aired recently. It was one of the more popular shows on the network it aired on and I have seen endless advertisements over the years for it but never tuned in. Well, the video was about the writers/producers of the show filming the final 5 min and looking for the perfect song that would fit the end of the show. They stated they listened to hundreds of songs (literally) and kept coming back to one song. So, me being me and searching U2 and hearing that this "one song" was perfect for this ending scene…I watched it.

Now in the video they decried the scene and why it was so powerful, which was nice because I had never watched a second of the show. Well, I watched it and lets just say it was a "I'm not crying, you're crying" moment! I realized that the fucking song, which was not only played in its entirety on the show but then re-cut at the very end for the dramatic moment, is what made me…I mean someone else….emotional. I don't care if I heard it in 95 straight shows, the 96th would still give me that ear to ear smile.

Its two vids because the first vid cuts out before the real "wow" moment and man is it cool. I WILL be watching this show (even though its now over).

To set it up for you…the two older people are the Russian spies who have done some bad shit and the girl is their daughter who they have told about the "family business" and has been a "spy in training" for a while. They also have a son who is a hockey player in school but he knows nothing about what they do and were going to leave him (they had to leave the US as the FBI finally caught on to them and it would have been their lives at stake). So the scene, which takes place in 1987 from what I understand, is them taking their daughter with them to Canada to then go back to Russia, while the red headed gentleman is an FBI agent who lived next door to them and never knew who they were until it was too late (he is the one tailing to their son at the end about everything).

Since it hit me so hard…I wanted to share it.

The "wow" moment is here…..takes place right after the above video.

Apparently the daughter made a choice to not be part of that life and of all the endings for these people, who did some really bad shit, this was the most painful for them because they realize they will never see either of their children ever again.…..fuck thats a good tune!

Again, I get that people feel they should "retire" some of these big war horses but I say….bring 'em on every time because those are the songs that strike a chord with me.

Last edited:
I just saved you all hundreds of hours of time. Also, Darth Vader is Luke’s father.

On a serious note, I’m sorry. I didn’t even think it might be a show people are starting to watch, so I should have put “Spoiler” at the start of my post. I just got caught up in what I found and wanted to share.....sorry about that!

First off, it's a great TV show and I loved the use of WOWY in the finale. I think U2 can now proudly join a number of shows with a great finale and they have a definitive movie/tv moment. Oddly enough, for a band as big as they are, they don't have a lot of iconic uses of songs in movies or TV shows.

I suppose All I Want is You in Reality Bites (and Contagion) is a big one, Zoo Station in About a Boy is fun enough and of course In God's Country in Three Kings. Still, this was a big use of a big song (probably ate up some of the budget as they aren't a cheap band to license). I heard Mothers of the Disappeared was another choice, but I think WOWY works beautifully.

Another personal favorite is Always Forever Now in Heat.

First off, it's a great TV show and I loved the use of WOWY in the finale. I think U2 can now proudly join a number of shows with a great finale and they have a definitive movie/tv moment. Oddly enough, for a band as big as they are, they don't have a lot of iconic uses of songs in movies or TV shows.

I suppose All I Want is You in Reality Bites (and Contagion) is a big one, Zoo Station in About a Boy is fun enough and of course In God's Country in Three Kings. Still, this was a big use of a big song (probably ate up some of the budget as they aren't a cheap band to license). I heard Mothers of the Disappeared was another choice, but I think WOWY works beautifully.

Another personal favorite is Always Forever Now in Heat.

Their most famous (in my mind) was With Or Without you in Friends (Ross and Rachel scene....2x I think). This scene though was striking and I have never watched the show. It just goes back to my main point of how amazing this song is and how I wish they were playing it, along with some of their other biggest hits, live.

But if it was used in every TV series you'd probably get sick of it. I don't think it needs to be played at every show. It's a bold move not playing any JT songs atm, although this is undermined by them still playing certain warhorses that aren't in the same quality range.

Their most famous (in my mind) was With Or Without you in Friends (Ross and Rachel scene....2x I think). This scene though was striking and I have never watched the show. It just goes back to my main point of how amazing this song is and how I wish they were playing it, along with some of their other biggest hits, live.

Yeah, I somehow forgot about that one, which is probably the most famous example. Good call.

I think it’s a smart move to give these songs a rest and make people miss them. Then everyone will appreciate them more in the future instead of taking them for granted. When they do play Streets and WOWY again, it’s gonna be great!

Back
Top Bottom