Is this the end for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgera

The Fly
Have this feeling that this will be it for touring and new u2 content for some time and perhaps indefinitely.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if ‘little things’ makes an appearance finally on the tour to end the tour ... ‘the end is here sometimes’

Hope I’m wrong.

PS. Fucking great era. Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience definitely rank near the top of their albums outside of 84-97.

At this point, I have my doubts that they’ll do another album/tour cycle. It’ll either be the album or the tour, and it will be the last one. But that’s just my opinion.

2019 will most likely be a very quiet year. By their standards, they’ve been on overdrive for the past 5 years. It’s been a great time to be a fan and they deserve a break.

However, I’m worried that if they’re gone for too long, they’ll call it a day. Hope I’m wrong as well.

Break until 2021 when AB30 tour comes.

Folowed by stadium tour of SOA, back with Eno/Lanois producing.

I would bet every thing that I own in this world that they will never work with, let alone speak to, Brian Eno or Daniel Lanois ever again.

But sure, Songs of Assent. Thirteen years after the thought bubble was first floated, why not.

At this point, I have my doubts that they’ll do another album/tour cycle. It’ll either be the album or the tour, and it will be the last one. But that’s just my opinion.

2019 will most likely be a very quiet year. By their standards, they’ve been on overdrive for the past 5 years. It’s been a great time to be a fan and they deserve a break.

However, I’m worried that if they’re gone for too long, they’ll call it a day. Hope I’m wrong as well.

I think health is the only factor that would completely stop them from making new music and touring.

I would bet every thing that I own in this world that they will never work with, let alone speak to, Brian Eno or Daniel Lanois ever again.

But sure, Songs of Assent. Thirteen years after the thought bubble was first floated, why not.

Well there's evidence Bono's been kicking around the idea of Songs of Innocence since the late 80's early 90's, so anything is possible.

In order to negate some of the wear and tear/old age I think they should do a very stripped back show in terms of set up and play far fewer dates - maybe 1 date per country (or for UK and Ireland - one show on each Island).

For a certain song on the Experience tour I felt a huge increase in energy as they clearly wanted to get that song right - so whether they can do this for 20+ songs in a show - who knows- probably not. But doing less shows overall can only help - with longer breaks in between.

I’ll be celebrating and drinking like it’s my last gig in Belfast Saturday I know that :)

Whether it’s their last or not, one things for sure is they will be gone for a long while, I wouldn’t expect to see them again until after theve turned 60

Can you (or someone else) fill me in on that? Didn't realise things had cooled so much. Thought Brian Eno was at the show last night or may have misheard/misunderstood what bono was saying on stage.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 year anniversary tour for Achtung Baby. Maybe showing all of the leaps we've taken from the TV-era to the digital age we're in now.

Starting on November 14th, I believe U2 will basically cease to exist for all of 2019. Maybe some light work on new songs.

I believe there will be some kind of acknowledgement of Boy’s 40th anniversary in 2020, maybe a few performances, maybe not.

Work on a new album won’t seriously begin until 2020. A fall 2021 album will be rumored, but get pushed into 2022, because U2.

I could go either way on the AB30 Tour. If they do it, I’ll definitely go. To not do it would essentially be to leave money on the table.

Can you (or someone else) fill me in on that? Didn't realise things had cooled so much. Thought Brian Eno was at the show last night or may have misheard/misunderstood what bono was saying on stage.

I don't have any inside information, I was mostly engaging in what we call hyperbole. But still, while they may be perfectly good friends, I see little sign that the U2/Eno/Lanois creative partnership is coming back anytime soon. What do they need them for, they've got 58 anonymous and interchangeable producers to gild the lily these days.

Eno and Lanois were at the gig according to a report I read

Pretty sure One was dedicated to Eno/Lanois at one of the UK gigs recently (they both worked on some of the JT remixes for the reissue).

They're not ditching their Batman and Robin.

And for the unattentive, SOA was definitely still talked about in the SOI promo interviews.

How would everyone want them to go? The rem way and literally just finish with no last tour etc etc or go all out tour round the world “ the last tour” etc etc

Personally if they are finishing I would be devastated if they vanished, there’s got to be one last hurrah.

Some people will say they are doing it for the money, well rinse the world boys and take my money ( or money I don’t have :) it’s amazing how I always find myself with heavy debt when u2 tour :)

From an artistic point of view, I think this E+I tour is the true, perfect goodbye. The way it's setup, the new songs, the closer... it's just a perfect goodbye.
From an emotional point of view I would like to have a farewell tour ...

I’ll be celebrating and drinking like it’s my last gig in Belfast Saturday I know that :)

Whether it’s their last or not, one things for sure is they will be gone for a long while, I wouldn’t expect to see them again until after theve turned 60
I did the same at the July 1 MSG show. Had a blast, too.

I'm 50/50 as to whether or not this is it.

Somehow I doubt U2 would already have decided they were finished without annoucing it - if they are to finish I am sure they will make a song and dance about it and go out with a bang.

I think they'd like to go on.

I also think they know that they need to take a break first, both for themselves as people and for the band's relevance as a major live act after doing 3 major tours in 4 years.

I also think they know that, at their age and with the recent health issues, taking a 4 year break has it's risks.

So long story short I think the band wants to keep going, but understands that this might not be possible.

Fans should treat each show the same way.

there is not a snowball's chance in hell they are doing a full AB30 tour in 2021. none. zero.

and feel free to save this post to quote it back at me if it turns out i'm wrong, because i'm right.

there is not a snowball's chance in hell they are doing a full AB30 tour in 2021. none. zero.

and feel free to save this post to quote it back at me if it turns out i'm wrong, because i'm right.
I do think the increase in AB songs this tour, plus the acrobat debut, backs this up.

If the plan was an AB30 Tour in 2021/2022... wouldn't they save all this for that tour?

there wont be an AB30 tour simply because there wont be demand for it, outside the hardcore fan base.

JT was obviously different due to the huge impact that album had on a massive number of people back in the day....

They'll have a break. Adam said it. Edge says he still loves performing live it's what the band live for but they'll break, recharge and come back. No way this is the end and I don't see any greatest hits tour either.

There is a certain amount of demand for a U2 show regardless of what album it is - do you think most of the casuals went to EI for the Experience songs?

They can still do a reasonably large tour just doing AB and greatest hits.

Back
Top Bottom