Is this the end for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono’s not the one who needs or wants a rest. It’s not in his nature.

He probably needs the rest, but as you say its not in his nature.

He isn't the type to sit home in his robe and slippers and lounge about. He'll always be out and about doing something (possibly to the detriment of his health). Other band members however are clearly on board with disappearing from public for a long stretch and just staying at home, though home means multiple locales.

Latest update on the Aussie/other minnow country tour rumours

Yeah. Things have changed a bit it seems, looking at a window from 2nd week Nov to 1st week Dec now. Announcement after Christmas.

So that timeframe almost certainly suggests stadiums (not that we didn't suspect this would be the case already), although as mentioned further down the page, Sydney might be an interesting situation given the billions of dollars certain politicians want to spend to tear down and rebuild stadiums.

This year, U2 announced the European dates in mid-January, so there might not be long to wait for a post-Christmas announcement.

Latest update on the Aussie/other minnow country tour rumours

So that timeframe almost certainly suggests stadiums (not that we didn't suspect this would be the case already), although as mentioned further down the page, Sydney might be an interesting situation given the billions of dollars certain politicians want to spend to tear down and rebuild stadiums.

This year, U2 announced the European dates in mid-January, so there might not be long to wait for a post-Christmas announcement.

SCG could be the Sydney venue if both of the rectangular ones are out of commission? Or Spotless?

Or they could just come down to Wollongong and play the stadium a five minute walk from my house.

SCG could be the Sydney venue if both of the rectangular ones are out of commission? Or Spotless?

Or they could just come down to Wollongong and play the stadium a five minute walk from my house.

Worst case scenario: U2 postpone/cancel 2019 tour because SCG won't move Sheffield Shield games and U2 won't do a tour where they can't guarantee 50k+ people attend each show

Best case scenario: Sydney's lack of suitable stadiums forces a rethink on every show to smaller outdoor venues or larger arenas

I will also nominate the new oval with grandstand capacity of a few dozen people just down the road from me.

Last edited:
I'd like to claim my Wollongong suggestion is not completely stupid, since Elton John played that very stadium recently, but of course my Wollongong suggestion is completely stupid.

Also you'd have to wonder at the SCG Trust's thinking if they turn down the megabucks from a concert in favour of some NSW four-day match played for an audience of precisely three men and a dog.

When they say announcement ‘after Christmas’ I hope they mean like March/April. Enough with bands announcing tours 10-12 months out.

I'm torn between wanting to finally end the many years of speculation versus needing to plan and commit money 6+ months in advance.

I'm torn between wanting to finally end the many years of speculation versus needing to plan and commit money 6+ months in advance.
If this tour goes ahead (and we will know soon) I can guarantee it will be November and it will be a stadium show. All you need to spend up front is the dosh for the tickets. Then you'll have 10 months to save and sort out accommodation and flights.

The first time I saw U2 was after an extra 8 month delay for the Vertigo tour where the shows could quite easily have been cancelled, so yeah I'm never expecting anything will happen until it's nearly finished.

I really hope you guys aren't counting on the tour based on some random forum posts.

I hope you get it and all... Axver's ass whooping is long overdue, but don't get your hopes up too high

I REALLY hope this is true for all of the fans down under so they can finally see them and be able to complain like the rest of us about: Setlists; Playing Time: Bono's Hair; Bono's Weight; Larrys' scowl and so on BUT:

What I'm really looking forward to is finally Ax getting his comeuppance, for too long he's been throwing his weight around here (and Shock of Blond Hair and his 6 foot frame, yes I saw him in Boston at a Vertigo Show, so Headache... if you need someone to point him out just let me know. :angry:

When they say announcement ‘after Christmas’ I hope they mean like March/April. Enough with bands announcing tours 10-12 months out.

I saw where Elton John is selling tickets for European concerts happening in December of 2020!!! That's insane!

I suppose if this tour happens, they'll charge high prices, and they'll need 10 months to sell the shows out.

I REALLY hope this is true for all of the fans down under so they can finally see them and be able to complain like the rest of us about: Setlists; Playing Time: Bono's Hair; Bono's Weight; Larrys' scowl and so on BUT:

What I'm really looking forward to is finally Ax getting his comeuppance, for too long he's been throwing his weight around here (and Shock of Blond Hair and his 6 foot frame, yes I saw him in Boston at a Vertigo Show, so Headache... if you need someone to point him out just let me know. :angry:

The ghost of that ripped-af 'roo will be in my corner so Headache doesn't have a prayer.

Ax would you mind if Bono used your old Af-Roo to come up with a character who is Australian, extremely pissed off about Ultraviolet and a drunken stumblebum on way too many shrimps from the barbie and a few to many Guine$$'

Why can’t they just make music? I’m the first one to line up for tickets to see them live but like, instead of just calling it quits because of the physical toll that touring takes - why don’t you just make albums? NLOTH was a fantastic album, until they felt the need to have more ‘hits’. The middle of the album is a complete disaster. The beginning and the end is a masterpiece of U2 being in a African setting. It’s gorgeous. With these last two albums, SOI, on my opinion, is weaker because of their fruitless pursuit of ‘hits’. SOE is pure songwriting, and that’s why it’s so great. Just do those. These 4 men are better musicians now than they’ve ever been. So just get together, have a good time and record a kick ass album. We will be just as happy.

Why can’t they just make music? I’m the first one to line up for tickets to see them live but like, instead of just calling it quits because of the physical toll that touring takes - why don’t you just make albums? NLOTH was a fantastic album, until they felt the need to have more ‘hits’. The middle of the album is a complete disaster. The beginning and the end is a masterpiece of U2 being in a African setting. It’s gorgeous. With these last two albums, SOI, on my opinion, is weaker because of their fruitless pursuit of ‘hits’. SOE is pure songwriting, and that’s why it’s so great. Just do those. These 4 men are better musicians now than they’ve ever been. So just get together, have a good time and record a kick ass album. We will be just as happy.

somewhat agree on the first points you make but it's hard to imagine this band making music for the sake of it, i.e. without the live shows and revenue opportunity.

as for NLOTH... the shite disasters on SOE are just as contrived and embarassing as the shite disasters on NLOTH. but i'll agree with you that as a complete album, SOE is far superior to NLOTH (not sure you actually said that but you can correct me if I misunderstand).

NLOTH was a great experiment in ambient music that crashed and burned as a result of the band refining all of it to be listenable (time has not been generous to it), and the back end of the album is a complete bore. WAS... COL... are as overrated as anything the band have ever done

Back
Top Bottom