Is this the end for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hope that 2019 Tour happens for those people. They deserve a tour, like, 3 years ago.

Also, China and Vietnam?? WHAT?!?!

They're both big markets that most major acts visit. Not sure U2 have said anything to piss off the Chinese censors for a good couple of decades now.

I would assume South Korea and Singapore would surely be the leading contenders for Asian markets beyond Japan though. And Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia are now firmly established on the international touring circuit for arena-level acts.

I can totally see China and Vietnam getting a show and Adelaide missing out again.

oh yeah, the Chinese are going to look at the nonsense Bono brings to their US shows because they hate Trump, I am sure they are going to welcome and embrace his antics in Beijing.

of course, this is speculating that U2 have the balls to bring their act to a place like China. They dont. Zero chance of this rumor being true.

This is just inspiring me to kick your arse even more, Headache.

They're both big markets that most major acts visit. Not sure U2 have said anything to piss off the Chinese censors for a good couple of decades now.

I would assume South Korea and Singapore would surely be the leading contenders for Asian markets beyond Japan though. And Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia are now firmly established on the international touring circuit for arena-level acts.

If China's a no-go how about Taiwan?

The fight will take place in Brooklyn, Melbourne

Winner gets an unsealed dust covered road named after them

Would be a missed opportunity if a 2019 tour in Australia / NZ didn’t pay homage in some way to Lovetown 30 years earlier. Especially in light of JT30. There is precedent.

Oh they'll pay homage alright. I'd guess, a short acoustic performance of Hawkmoon, with Bono reading the words off a cue card held up by an aide.

Why can’t they just make music? I’m the first one to line up for tickets to see them live but like, instead of just calling it quits because of the physical toll that touring takes - why don’t you just make albums? NLOTH was a fantastic album, until they felt the need to have more ‘hits’. The middle of the album is a complete disaster. The beginning and the end is a masterpiece of U2 being in a African setting. It’s gorgeous. With these last two albums, SOI, on my opinion, is weaker because of their fruitless pursuit of ‘hits’. SOE is pure songwriting, and that’s why it’s so great. Just do those. These 4 men are better musicians now than they’ve ever been. So just get together, have a good time and record a kick ass album. We will be just as happy.

I used to feel this way before I saw my first U2 show, as in I didn't care that much about tours and just wanted more albums. I still do wish they'd take the time to make more albums more often, but then they feel like they have to tour after every single one, so that pushes back the next album, and so on. As they get older, it would be nice if they'd focus on making music and then maybe tour after every other album. Their music will last forever, but the tours won't.

Where do they stand, contractually speaking? Do they still have the obligation to deliver albums/tours?

The LiveNation contract expires in 2020, but it is rumored they will resign it. However, if they do not, that could be an interesting sign of what's to come. I would hope they'd stop the massive tours, but that's hard to say. Given the recent tour, health concerns and what not, I'm not sure what is in store.

Smaller tours, maybe residences might be another approach.

I wonder then if the LN contract has 2 years to run what are they required to do in those two years? Presumably they won’t have fulfilled the contract already. If only a short tour is required then it adds weight to the rumoured Australasia shows at the end of 2019. Those shows might get them across the line.

LiveNation is their parent company. They took over for Principle Management pre Songs of Innocence. Before that LiveNation was only their touring partner. Now they control everything.

That they are signed with LiveNation or will continue to be signed with LiveNation means absolutely nothing in regards to their touring future.

Back
Top Bottom