Is this the end for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost in all speculation is the fact that a band like U2, who loves awards and accolades as much as the next artist, will take note that having been the first band to land a #1 album in four decades, will surely attempt for a fifth as the next decade is just around the corner.

So expect a new album in 4 years with a tour in 4-5 if the band can muster the effort. The album sales will accompany ticket sales as it did on the current tour.

JT30 could boast that it was justified as the political landscape had come “full circle” since the original JT release. But what could an AB30 really boast? That it’s more of the same only more? Sure, the technology has advanced for such a spectacle but does that justify a tour mainly highlighting AB? The U.S. isn’t as fascinated with AB as it is with JT, so there’s that. But AB does have the hits, so if they do pursue that route, I’d suggest they don’t play the album start to finish. Play the whole thing but spread the songs throughout the show (let’s not forget ZOO TV opened with half the AB album played up front).

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be tired. I don't think anyone is saying that.

U2 are traveling by private jet, staying in 5 star hotels or private residences, have more or less played only in North America and Europe, and have been largely doing mini residencies.

The idea that doing this for 3 out of the last 4 years is some sort of unique, rigorous stress test that they need 5 years to recover from is a silly line of thinking. It's defending the band for the sake of defending the band and ignoring the obvious - that two or the four members have physical concerns beyond the regular wear and tear associated with being touring musicians.

Exactly. A closer "apples to apples" comparison would be Metallica. They're roughly the same age as U2, came out of the same era, and have reached the same heights. They're in the same stratosphere as U2 when it comes to popularity, demand, success, and legacy.

Metallica tours just about every year. Even in "off" years, they trek across Europe in the summer. And, not to knock U2 at all, but the physical demands of a Metallica show outweigh a U2 show. The physical demands of Lars to Larry isn't even close. Watch Rob Trujillo and Kirk Hammett fly around the stage and then tell me about the physical rigors of a U2 show.

James Hetfield has stated that, in order to preserve his voice, he prefers to keep the shows to roughly 50-60 shows per year (U2 will play 63, I believe, this year. They did 51 on the JT tour).

It can be done. They just have to want to do it. They're not decrepit. They're turning 60 and keep in good shape.

Exactly. A closer "apples to apples" comparison would be Metallica. They're roughly the same age as U2, came out of the same era, and have reached the same heights. They're in the same stratosphere as U2 when it comes to popularity, demand, success, and legacy.

Metallica tours just about every year. Even in "off" years, they trek across Europe in the summer. And, not to knock U2 at all, but the physical demands of a Metallica show outweigh a U2 show. The physical demands of Lars to Larry isn't even close. Watch Rob Trujillo and Kirk Hammett fly around the stage and then tell me about the physical rigors of a U2 show.

James Hetfield has stated that, in order to preserve his voice, he prefers to keep the shows to roughly 50-60 shows per year (U2 will play 63, I believe, this year. They did 51 on the JT tour).

It can be done. They just have to want to do it. They're not decrepit. They're turning 60 and keep in good shape.
And there you have your answer

Recreation of ZooTV Live in Sydney... in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

I love how these hypotheticals take on a life of their own. I think a lot of people are gonna be real disappointed when the ZooTV 30 Year Reunion Tour doesn't happen.:sexywink:

Or Songs of Assent.:sexywink:

Or The Pop reunion tour. Ok, nobody thinks that's going to happen.

For what it's worth, a post from U2start at final Dublin show :

i filmed joe o h saying to an australian fan: see you next year ... so seems the joshua tree rumours might really be true .

I agree with every aspect of your post but one...

They're turning 60 and keep in good shape.

One rather important member of the band has been burning the candle at both ends while not keeping up with his physical well being - and the drummer kept himself in terrific shape, but physically his body isn't thanking him for this hard work in the way it should.

Ahh jeez you're right there were, like, 5 or 6 markets that they were only 85/90% sold.

Better cancel the tour!

The point is that if they can't sell out a JT tour they won't sell out a AB tour -- in those specific markets and perhaps even more.

You said they would sell out everywhere. While perhaps you weren't being literal. Even you can't expect an AB30 tour to out perform JT30, or even equal that tour's success.

The point is that if they can't sell out a JT tour they won't sell out a AB tour -- in those specific markets and perhaps even more.

You said they would sell out everywhere. While perhaps you weren't being literal. Even you can't expect an AB30 tour to out perform JT30, or even equal that tour's success.
With three years off in between and even more time away from the Songs of Innocence clusterfuck?

Yea, I'd expect them to match if not exceed JT30 w/ an AB/Zoo 30 tour

i filmed joe o h saying to an australian fan: see you next year ... so seems the joshua tree rumours might really be true .

Seems likely after I just spent $1000’s getting my arse on a plane to Dublin.

But I’m sure Joe and this fan just holiday together.

Yeah...no disrespect to them but I'm pretty sure Lars doesn't have back/wrist issues. Or that James hasn't had health warnings like Bono.

And.. bingo. Why do you think we're down to 50/60 shows per year ? Or the sudden intermission ?

Maybe do a LT30 Tour? What makes a lot of sense to me is to take the first half or more of 2019 off, and then head down to australia, New Zealand and Eastern Asia in the later part of the year.

I imagine to effectively tour that part of the world in arenas would take what... 2 months?

Adam actually said in an interview earlier something about doing shows in the later part of 2019.

We've been getting these posts before.
Slane shows were allegedly the last stadium gigs. 360 might have been the last tour.

Seems likely after I just spent $1000’s getting my arse on a plane to Dublin.

But I’m sure Joe and this fan just holiday together.

I'm not going to believe U2 are in Australia until they're up to about the 15th song of the third show here.

In other words: lolololololono

Please just categorically rule it out now so I can stop hoping every time the whiff of a new rumour comes out.

(I still think that Ticketek wouldn't keep putting U2 at the top of the 'Waitlist Now' section on their front page if there wasn't some modicum of effort still being expended by somebody somewhere to get them here, however incredibly unlikely).

Last edited:
With three years off in between and even more time away from the Songs of Innocence clusterfuck?

Yea, I'd expect them to match if not exceed JT30 w/ an AB/Zoo 30 tour

I would love AB30, but the idea that AB has as much recognition with casual fans as JT is pretty far fetched, I think.

Yeah...no disrespect to them but I'm pretty sure Lars doesn't have back/wrist issues. Or that James hasn't had health warnings like Bono.

And.. bingo. Why do you think we're down to 50/60 shows per year ? Or the sudden intermission ?

Bono's been particularly cagey about this most recent health scare, but the two we're aware of from the past - the cancer scare in 1999 and the bike accident after SoI - have nothing to do with touring. Unless he's concerned that the smoke on stage is affecting his voice? That could easily be remedied.

Larry's tendinitis in his wrists seem to be the major 'health' reason that could affect the band's future, to me.

Bono's partying or burning the candle at both ends might take its toll on the timbre of his voice and the lines on his face but, again, that's manageable: it's a matter of whether he wants to, not whether or not he can.

Back
Top Bottom