How are the tickets selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
innocence presale: 0 tickets
retailer presale: 0 tickets.

So far I paid 40+19=59 euros for tickets, WITHOUT HAVING TICKETS!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

innocence presale: 0 tickets
retailer presale: 0 tickets.

So far I paid 40+19=59 euros for tickets, WITHOUT HAVING TICKETS!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

aw crap sorry to hear that :(
where are you trying for?
fwiw, Paris 2nd night was really straightforward - not sure there are tix left now, but didn't sell out as quickly as night one, but might be worth a look just in case...

indeed. Or why not throw ALL tickets in the house in fanclub-presale? In that way all paying u2.com members would be able to get tickets... what's wrong with that?

Because the Ticketmaster / LiveNation conglomerate does not allow it. Fan club allotments are generally 8 to 10%.

I'm sure U2 could negotiate it if they so chose, but they'd have to give up a LOT. And considering how much LiveNation floats the band to put these tours on, it's not something they're likely to approach.

This is where someone usually suggest a fanclub-only invitation show, where the band pulls out all those rarities that the fans have been asking for (looking at you, Acrobat). Because you know, they could easily play through 25 or 30 b-sides from the last forty years with very little preparation...

This is where someone usually suggest a fanclub-only invitation show, where the band pulls out all those rarities that the fans have been asking for (looking at you, Acrobat). Because you know, they could easily play through 25 or 30 b-sides from the last forty years with very little preparation...

Will they play NLOTH again?

aw crap sorry to hear that :(
where are you trying for?
fwiw, Paris 2nd night was really straightforward - not sure there are tix left now, but didn't sell out as quickly as night one, but might be worth a look just in case...

Trying for Amsterdam. Paris not an option for me. Well, my bet is no on the general sale coming Monday... and I hope that any possible additional dates (which I expect for Amsterdam) will first go through u2.com membership presale too..
I shouldn't complain too much, since there are regions in the world waiting already for ages to get a concert...

Trying for Amsterdam. Paris not an option for me. Well, my bet is no on the general sale coming Monday... and I hope that any possible additional dates (which I expect for Amsterdam) will first go through u2.com membership presale too..
I shouldn't complain too much, since there are regions in the world waiting already for ages to get a concert...

fingers crossed! hopefully there will be extra dates too!

I did not extend my membership in December 2015, after paying almost 10 years in a row.... I started January 4th 2017, extended early this year. Since the date counting is 24th of December 2016, I'm screwed... Guess I had more chance in the Experience group...stupid me.

There are probably thousands of people in the same boat who figured that a pre-sale code was what the membership fee was mostly worth. So having lapsed their membership after i+e, everyone scrambled to renew once JT30 was announced in December 2016.

This is why the Experience group is substantially smaller than Innocence. And therefore why is is much easier to get what you want if you're in Experience.

You can join TODAY and you'll be given an Innocence pre-sale code. I bought an extra membership last week for a better shot at (hopefully soon to be announced) extra European shows.

Seems like the shows in Europe sold far better than the shows in the United States. Looks like most shows are soldout except for some of the really expensive tickets and there are now 9 additional dates added.

So I just did a quick scan of the North American shows. Most of the shows are pretty much sold out. Sure, some shows like MSG have some upper level $300s that aren't moving, but they'll sell those eventually once the price comes down. These 5 shows appear to be the worst selling. These figures are according to the TM maps, not counting resale tickets (because they are technically already sold).

Tulsa- 1,800 unsold, mostly rear stage uppers. Will be sold out.
St. Louis- 2800 unsold. U2 played to 19,000+ here in 2005, so they've already sold over 16,000.
LA 2- 2500 unsold. Over saturation mostly, will be sold out. (Capacity 16,700 in 2015)
Chicago 2- 3200 unsold, also oversaturation. They'll have to reduce some of those upper levels, but they'll probably fill it. (Capacity 19,000 in 2015)
San Jose 2- 4000+ unsold. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with this show. (Capacity 17,500 in 2015)

So while the picture may seem bleak, these numbers aren't entirely awful. The vast majority of arena concerts DON'T play in 360. So Coldplay "sold out" the same St. Louis arena at 13,960, even though they could've potentially fit another 5-6,000 in there. The truth is most bands cannot fill the seats behind the stage. I saw Bruce Springsteen a few years ago, and he didn't sell all the seats behind the stage, in fact the rear upper level was completely empty. Same for the Garth Brooks show I went to. Nobody seemed to care.

After looking at the maps St. Louis 2 is horrendous looks half empty. Tulsa doesn't look great either

In Italian cities like Rome and Milan they could probably do 10 gigs on a leg in each city and still not meet demand. They love U2 in southern europe.

So I just did a quick scan of the North American shows. Most of the shows are pretty much sold out. Sure, some shows like MSG have some upper level $300s that aren't moving, but they'll sell those eventually once the price comes down. These 5 shows appear to be the worst selling. These figures are according to the TM maps, not counting resale tickets (because they are technically already sold).

St. Louis- 2800 unsold. U2 played to 19,000+ here in 2005, so they've already sold over 16,000.
LA 2- 2500 unsold. Over saturation mostly, will be sold out. (Capacity 16,700 in 2015)
Chicago 2- 3200 unsold, also oversaturation. They'll have to reduce some of those upper levels, but they'll probably fill it. (Capacity 19,000 in 2015)
San Jose 2- 4000+ unsold. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with this show. (Capacity 17,500 in 2015)

So while the picture may seem bleak, these numbers aren't entirely awful. The vast majority of arena concerts DON'T play in 360. So Coldplay "sold out" the same St. Louis arena at 13,960, even though they could've potentially fit another 5-6,000 in there. The truth is most bands cannot fill the seats behind the stage. I saw Bruce Springsteen a few years ago, and he didn't sell all the seats behind the stage, in fact the rear upper level was completely empty. Same for the Garth Brooks show I went to. Nobody seemed to care.

Remember though that this is U2 and the comparisons are often not with other artist but with U2 and what they have done in the past. For example, on the Arena tour for Vertigo in North America in 2005, every show soldout in minutes or a couple of hours at most except for one, St. Louis. The only thing that did not sellout in St. Louis on the first day was rear stage seating. They did 80 arena shows in North America in 2005.

You'll notice that there lots of cheaper tickets that are not selling at several of the shows for the tour in 2018 in the United States. There are lots of $106 dollar tickets that are side stage or rear stage that have not sold. These tickets will not drop in price so I wonder if U2 will be able to sell them by showtime.

After looking at the maps St. Louis 2 is horrendous looks half empty. Tulsa doesn't look great either

St. Louis 2? I think there is only one show in St. Louis.

If we had Vertigo Tour prices right now, we'd have all the venues sold out, with multiple shows being added to meet demand. Also, during the Vertigo Tour U2 were experiencing a 2nd career peak, had a hit album/single, and hadn't toured the US in 4 years. Whereas this year, U2 just did a massive stadium tour last year that was very successful. Now they're trying to ask people to pay $300 to sit in the upper levels. Even $100+ is WAY too much to ask somebody to sit in the upper level behind the stage.

There seems to be a general lack of interest this time. I'm one of the biggest U2 fans that ever existed, but I won't be seeing a show this year. Unless a miracle happens and they add a show in Ohio. To be honest I can't be bothered to drive the 6 hours to see U2 in either Chicago or Nashville, the nearest shows. I saw them twice in 2015 and twice in 2017, so I'm good. It's not just the ticket; it's the gas, the hotel, the 2 days I'd have to take off work just to see one concert, the time away from my wife and kids. Let's be honest, as a married father, you're only allowed so many nights out before you verge on shitty husband territory, and my wife is seriously one of the cooler wives I've ever known. I've driven to Chicago 4 times (okay, one of those was South Bend, IN) when U2 weren't coming any closer to me, and it was always worth it. But for right now, I'm not really able to . It sucks that U2 can't be like literally every other band and do at least one show in Ohio per tour, as we are the 7th most populated state in the country.

I'm sure there are many stories like mine. And if for some reason this turns out to be U2's final tour, I'll be sad that I missed it, but satisfied with the 13 shows I have seen between 1997-2017. No regrets about missing this year's tour. And I even love SOE, but don't feel a burning need to see those songs live. I personally also believe U2 should've waited to return to the US until 2019. They should've toured Europe properly, then done Asia and Australia during 2018, and come back to the US in 2019. Let demand recharge a bit.

Last edited:
Overpriced uppers, no popular hit, saturated markets, verified fan, they still get the headline spot at the Grammys = ...relevance?

If we had Vertigo Tour prices right now, we'd have all the venues sold out, with multiple shows being added to meet demand. Also, during the Vertigo Tour U2 were experiencing a 2nd career peak, had a hit album/single, and hadn't toured the US in 4 years. Whereas this year, U2 just did a massive stadium tour last year that was very successful. Now they're trying to ask people to pay $300 to sit in the upper levels. Even $100+ is WAY too much to ask somebody to sit in the upper level behind the stage.

A lot of these things are true except maybe ticket price. Average ticket price on Vertigo Tour in the USA was $105 which is about $130 in today's money. An average ticket price of $130 is what U2 charged on SOI tour and the JT tour 2017.

Also $106 to sit behind the stage is the equivalent of about $80 dollars behind the stage in 2005, so I don't think there is any real difference there.

There seems to be a general lack of interest this time. I'm one of the biggest U2 fans that ever existed, but I won't be seeing a show this year. Unless a miracle happens and they add a show in Ohio. To be honest I can't be bothered to drive the 6 hours to see U2 in either Chicago or Nashville, the nearest shows. I saw them twice in 2015 and twice in 2017, so I'm good. It's not just the ticket; it's the gas, the hotel, the 2 days I'd have to take off work just to see one concert, the time away from my wife and kids. Let's be honest, as a married father, you're only allowed so many nights out before you verge on shitty husband territory, and my wife is seriously one of the cooler wives I've ever known. I've driven to Chicago 4 times (okay, one of those was South Bend, IN) when U2 weren't coming any closer to me, and it was always worth it. But for right now, I'm not really able to . It sucks that U2 can't be like literally every other band and do at least one show in Ohio per tour, as we are the 7th most populated state in the country.

Hold on now because I'm very sure U2 will be adding dates to this tour, either for July 2018 or sometime in 2019. I suspect Columbus Ohio may get a show as they have not played there in 17 years.

I'm sure there are many stories like mine. And if for some reason this turns out to be U2's final tour, I'll be sad that I missed it, but satisfied with the 13 shows I have seen between 1997-2017. No regrets about missing this year's tour. And I even love SOE, but don't feel a burning need to see those songs live. I personally also believe U2 should've waited to return to the US until 2019. They should've toured Europe properly, then done Asia and Australia during 2018, and come back to the US in 2019. Let demand recharge a bit.

Don't worry. I think were decades away from U2's last tour.

Hold on now because I'm very sure U2 will be adding dates to this tour, either for July 2018 or sometime in 2019. I suspect Columbus Ohio may get a show as they have not played there in 17 years.

Basstrap, I like where your head's at!!

Funny you mention this. My U2 fandom may cost me my marriage.

I have two shows scheduled this tour (Tulsa/St Louis) and wife is annoyed but accepting. I want to do many more, but it would be chaos with her.

And i can afford it too and dont have kids. I dont see more shows just because im keeping the Mrs happy. Sucks.

It's worse than you are pointing out though. These were the unsold tickets on the Ticketmaster website. I'm sure without even looking that every nosebleed was purchased by a scalper. Those aren't sold tickets in my mind but they will appear "sold" on the Ticketmaster site.

This was normal last time for San Jose where the pricier seats were thumbed down by the scalpers but literally every single nosebleed ended upon on resale websites. Those lower cost upper tier tickets are guaranteed profit for the scalpers most of the time. At worst, they end up selling some of them for below face value (and really dirt cheap on the night of the show).

Regardless, this proves like last time that the demand really isn't all that great for the high prices they're charging for the lower level seats, hence why they end up sitting on the Ticketmaster site for ages. U2 and Live Nation won't really have a problem though. All they have to do is sneakily put these on resale sites for half the price later on and they will get gobbled up quickly.

Also, the San Jose market is the most oversaturated by far. This will mean five U2 shows from 2015 to 2018 and also a massively attended "free" show in Daly City in the middle of all of that. The Santa Clara stadium where they held the Joshua Tree show is mere miles from the San Jose arena. They're literally trying to sell people on two indoor shows when just a year prior they played to 70,000 or so down the street. I understand the why of it as it's clearly a great market for the band, but they've just played around here to death over the past few years.

Last edited:
A lot of these things are true except maybe ticket price. Average ticket price on Vertigo Tour in the USA was $105 which is about $130 in today's money. An average ticket price of $130 is what U2 charged on SOI tour and the JT tour 2017.

This has a great deal to do with how little they've been charging for the nosebleed seats. They were like $30 list price on SOI and surely were much more than that on the Vertigo Tour, especially when you factor in inflation. Vertigo was like $150 (plus inflation) for the seated tickets that are now regularly $300 at minimum on this new tour.

I've always felt that the fairer thing to do is make the hardcore GA nuts subsidize the rest of the show. They'll easily pay $100 a ticket for the experience yet we're making people pay MULTIPLE TIMES MORE for a potentially worse experience up in the seats. Higher GA prices also would have led to the band not being as annoyed with seeing the same faces every night as it would be more cost prohibitive to be down in the field or pit as often.

Bono literally spent most of the JT shows just standing there after having recently dealt with a near death experience along with plenty of bodily injuries in recent years. And on 360 shows you can hear him start to "shout" more than singing - a trend that continues on to this day..

I loved the JT show I attended. The band sounded great and all, but Bono clearly doesn't have as much gas left in the tank and the quality of the performances and excitement factor continues to deteriorate, propped up only by the next big visual gimmick.

And this all coupled with mediocre albums that interest pretty much nobody except their most hardcore audience. Do you really want to see Bono out there ten years from now becoming another Mike Love as he just kind of stands there and whispers into the microphone? Do you really need to see more U2 shows as the band continues to just become weaker and weaker as a touring unit? Fair enough if you want to see some of those new songs live, but pretty much anything older is something you've already heard in far better incarnations in years past.

And on top of all that I just mentioned, we would have so many more U2 albums if they weren't focused on touring for a full year or more every time they release an LP.

Last edited:

I have two shows scheduled this tour (Tulsa/St Louis) and wife is annoyed but accepting. I want to do many more, but it would be chaos with her.

And i can afford it too and dont have kids. I dont see more shows just because im keeping the Mrs happy. Sucks.

Yeah... let's be honest... if I weren't married, I'd probably be going to both Chicago shows.

I feel your pain, brother!

Last edited:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sounds like my situation,I'm doing london and hopefully Manchester. She always comes to one with me though which I'm hoping will be Belfast

Just curious to why your wife would be unhappy if you go away a few days to see a show. Why would that ruin a marriage i mean? I suppose you are together like 350+ days of the year anyway...

Wonder how people that work on oil rigs or such manage marriage.

Just curious to why your wife would be unhappy if you go away a few days to see a show. Why would that ruin a marriage i mean? I suppose you are together like 350+ days of the year anyway...

Wonder how people that work on oil rigs or such manage marriage.

Every marriage is different i suppose.

Fact is U2 has been incredibly generous with their touring since 2015. So i have left the home for lots of shows (8) since 2015.

So yeah it comes down to: “you spend too much on that band” (she’s right)

“You spend too much of your vacation on that band” (she’s right)

So when this tour was announced, understand i was walking on eggshells. Still scheming to do more than 2 shows, but i have to be a smart husband about it.

Doesnt help she thinks U2 is old and washed up. Lol!

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Its heartening to see other married fans in my position.

Back
Top Bottom