How are the tickets selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
???

Are you sure you didn't misread your ticket locations? Seems this would have been a much bigger deal...

That's not how it works... The main stage is placed where it's placed for a reason.

I suppose anyone can second guess themselves, but I visited the maps over and over again before finally deciding on a ticket. Then continued to peek at the map to see how sales were going after I purchased my ticket, so yeah . .as sure as I can be. And it happened twice!

In Phoenix, I overheard people bewildered about the seats and I chimed in that it wasn't their imagination -- the orientation was reversed. I deliberately chose a seat out around the b-stage for I&E, then ended up sitting first seat next to the main stage. So again, I know where the seat was when I purchased it and I know where I ended up (and I knew it a few days before the event when looking at the TM seating chart.

For Chicago it was even worse. I bought two relatively cheap $100 nose bleeds up high, but then the orientation was changed and I decided to buy two on the other end because I didn't want to be behind the stage.

Well, I can't prove this to anyone and it doesn't matter anyway, but I know what happened (at least for those two shows).

Would there be a huge uproar over it? Depends. Sitting in my seat in Phoenix I wasn't exactly disappointed -- when the Edge walked over to the side during Pride he was like 10 feet from me level with my seat. That was pretty cool so why complain? For Chicago my seats were basically the same, just on the other end, so the only loss was that i had to dump the first pair of tickets to a scalper before the show and took a loss of cash.

It probably doesn't happen every show but I believe it happened twice for I&E -- and it had never happened before in any venue I've ever attended at an arena -- U2 or otherwise.

I suppose anyone can second guess themselves, but I visited the maps over and over again before finally deciding on a ticket. Then continued to peek at the map to see how sales were going after I purchased my ticket, so yeah . .as sure as I can be. And it happened twice!

In Phoenix, I overheard people bewildered about the seats and I chimed in that it wasn't their imagination -- the orientation was reversed. I deliberately chose a seat out around the b-stage for I&E, then ended up sitting first seat next to the main stage. So again, I know where the seat was when I purchased it and I know where I ended up (and I knew it a few days before the event when looking at the TM seating chart.

For Chicago it was even worse. I bought two relatively cheap $100 nose bleeds up high, but then the orientation was changed and I decided to buy two on the other end because I didn't want to be behind the stage.

Well, I can't prove this to anyone and it doesn't matter anyway, but I know what happened (at least for those two shows).

Would there be a huge uproar over it? Depends. Sitting in my seat in Phoenix I wasn't exactly disappointed -- when the Edge walked over to the side during Pride he was like 10 feet from me level with my seat. That was pretty cool so why complain? For Chicago my seats were basically the same, just on the other end, so the only loss was that i had to dump the first pair of tickets to a scalper before the show and took a loss of cash.

It probably doesn't happen every show but I believe it happened twice for I&E -- and it had never happened before in any venue I've ever attended at an arena -- U2 or otherwise.
Is this the debate over the stupid Ticketmaster placeholder again?

Dude you misread it.

They don't flip seating charts.

A) common sense
B) I work in an arena

A) Common sense -- when discussing TM?
B) So?

Look, I know it sounds absurd. But I'm sure of what I experienced. Could I be wrong? Well, nothing is for certain, so sure, I won't rule it out completely. But I feel I reviewed those seating charts too many times to make that mistake (twice no less!)

A) Common sense -- when discussing TM?
B) So?

Look, I know it sounds absurd. But I'm sure of what I experienced. Could I be wrong? Well, nothing is for certain, so sure, I won't rule it out completely. But I feel I reviewed those seating charts too many times to make that mistake (twice no less!)
I have no doubt that you believed that your purchased seats in a certain location based on your reading of the seating chart.

I also have no doubt that you misread the chart. Twice.

Admittedly they had a shitty chart, and there is one thing that moved... The Red Zone. The Red Zone's location may have been what through you off. I don't know.

But seating charts don't flip after shows go on sale. If they were going to make a major change like that the arena/promotor would be required by law to notify the customers. It also would have been a major story if all of a sudden half the arena had different seats than what they bought.

I'm sure you weren't the only one to misread that crappy block of a seating chart. In fact I do think at least one other poster complained of the same thing way back when.

But yea... it's a misread, not the arena being evil dicks.

Arenas are designed so that the main stage is on the same side. Even Kanye's floating stage started from what is the traditional "end stage" side of the arena. Are there exceptions? Sure, but very very few. U2 on i/e was not one of these exceptions.

If you ever find yourself with an odd seating chart again, just flip to the traditional seating chart to see which end is what.

On my Facebook feed I saw 2nd shows are up for msg, Boston and DC. Not sure about any others.

I was in Los Angeles, the stage was definitely flipped. I had two shows, one with my buddy got good seats, the other solo, got a seat behind the stage, ended up flipping me.

I was in Los Angeles, the stage was definitely flipped. I had two shows, one with my buddy got good seats, the other solo, got a seat behind the stage, ended up flipping me.

I just remember going to the LA show and having no idea where the back of the stage was going to be. One should know these things before finding one's seats.

I swear I bought tix for second Vancouver show at the far end of the stage. Turns out they were almost behind the stage (thankfully could still see screen).

Is it possible I just done goofed? Of course. But I wasn't in a rush to buy whatever popped up, so it's not like I didn't look at the map. I wouldn't willingly buy behind the stage tix when there were others available.

If a lot of people had similar issues, is it not possible something goofy happened with the TM site? Not saying the stage moved from the diagram, but do you not find it odd that multiple people report this for the tour?

I swear I bought tix for second Vancouver show at the far end of the stage. Turns out they were almost behind the stage (thankfully could still see screen).

Is it possible I just done goofed? Of course. But I wasn't in a rush to buy whatever popped up, so it's not like I didn't look at the map. I wouldn't willingly buy behind the stage tix when there were others available.

If a lot of people had similar issues, is it not possible something goofy happened with the TM site? Not saying the stage moved from the diagram, but do you not find it odd that multiple people report this for the tour?
I think the blocky diagram with the red zone wings placed randomly against one side closest to where the e stage would be confused people.

Where the actual main stage was going and where the e stage was going never actually changed... people just misread the admittedly confusing block diagram.

Can anyone answer me why people rush to buy tickets on Stubhub and other resale sites today instead of waiting for additional dates to be announced ?
Are they just stupid or have too much money ?

Can anyone answer me why people rush to buy tickets on Stubhub and other resale sites today instead of waiting for additional dates to be announced ?
Are they just stupid or have too much money ?

Panic buyers. Some people just want to have the date locked down and not have to worry about it later. Especially those that might be traveling and need to secure arrangements around the show(s). And yes, stupid and having too much money to blow on concerts is secondary reason.

I have no doubt that you believed that your purchased seats in a certain location based on your reading of the seating chart.

I also have no doubt that you misread the chart. Twice.

Admittedly they had a shitty chart, and there is one thing that moved... The Red Zone. The Red Zone's location may have been what through you off. I don't know.

But seating charts don't flip after shows go on sale. If they were going to make a major change like that the arena/promotor would be required by law to notify the customers. It also would have been a major story if all of a sudden half the arena had different seats than what they bought.

I'm sure you weren't the only one to misread that crappy block of a seating chart. In fact I do think at least one other poster complained of the same thing way back when.

But yea... it's a misread, not the arena being evil dicks.

Arenas are designed so that the main stage is on the same side. Even Kanye's floating stage started from what is the traditional "end stage" side of the arena. Are there exceptions? Sure, but very very few. U2 on i/e was not one of these exceptions.

If you ever find yourself with an odd seating chart again, just flip to the traditional seating chart to see which end is what.

I appreciate your insight and well thought-out response.

I'll offer two things and then let my side of this discussion rest.

On the drive home today, I reflected on the Phoenix show and how I got my ticket. It was a fan club presales ticket and I did not actually choose a seat on the lower level down by the b stage, that is simply where my seat was located when I looked it up. I located it repeatedly almost every day as I am obsessed with monitoring ticket sales for whatever reason. So when, a day or two before the event, I found the seat now located by the stage I was obviously surprised.

The Chicago situation pissed me off because I assumed TM did what they did to generate more sales. For that show I sweated repeatedly over which seats I would buy. Then I bought them. Then I (again) visited the site over and over up until the day of the flip.

It would appear problematic that this occurred for the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps there is another explanation available that is not apparent. But I know it was not a case of me simply misreading the map. But think what you like, I will take no offense.

The fact that others report the same thing should cause a doubter to pause I would think and at least consider that something was amiss, at least for some of the shows.

Regardless, I've decided that GA for these arena shows will prevent any similar occurrence (if there truly was one), so I'm going that route moving forward.

You're both right. The initial i+e seating chart was misleading. Here's the original Chicago chart:
u2-seating-chart.PNG

If you don't know that in Chicago, the main stage is almost always in front of section 117, it sure looks like the main stage could be at the right hand end, since Red Zones are usually at the main stage. Later, the seating chart was updated to reposition the Red Zones at the left hand end - which is where the main stage actually was. And where it was always going to be, based on the arena configuration:

u2-seatingchart-v2.png

Was the original chart misleading? Yes. Did people unfamiliar with the usual arena placement of the end stage purchase tickets based on an incorrect assumption about the layout? Apparently so. The stage layout itself never flipped; the displayed placement of the Red Zones changed.

As an aside, I suspect the Red Zones were originally intended to be near the e-stage, until production rehearsals. Remember that there were going to be two different setlists, with a larger emphasis on acoustic performances. There was even a string ensemble at some of the rehearsals. I could certainly envision RZ by the e-stage if there was a longer set of songs performed out there, and perhaps that was the band's initial plan. Of course, we all know what happened..

Last edited:
You're both right. The initial i+e seating chart was misleading. Here's the original Chicago chart:
u2-seating-chart.PNG

If you don't know that in Chicago, the main stage is almost always in front of section 117, it sure looks like the main stage could be at the right hand end, since Red Zones are usually at the main stage. Later, the seating chart was updated to reposition the Red Zones at the left hand end - which is where the main stage actually was. And where it was always going to be, based on the arena configuration:

u2-seatingchart-v2.png

Was the original chart misleading? Yes. Did people unfamiliar with the usual arena placement of the end stage purchase tickets based on an incorrect assumption about the layout? Apparently so. The stage layout itself never flipped; the displayed placement of the Red Zones changed.

As an aside, I suspect the Red Zones were originally intended to be near the e-stage, until production rehearsals. Remember that there were going to be two different setlists, with a larger emphasis on acoustic performances. There was even a string ensemble at some of the rehearsals. I could certainly envision RZ by the e-stage if there was a longer set of songs performed out there, and perhaps that was the band's initial plan. Of course, we all know what happened..

Mystery solved.

Thanks!

u2-seating-chart.PNG

u2-seatingchart-v2.png

Right.

Which is what I said.

Assumptions were made by some based on where they expected the red zones to be. The stage itself never flipped. The sections that are behind the stage are always the sections behind the stage, with almost no exceptions. There are technical reasons and crowd flow reasons for this.

If you were aware of this, you didn't have an issue. If you weren't? Yea, I can see how you'd be confused. It was a shitily designed placeholder.

Back
Top Bottom