How are the tickets selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did a very rough figure based on TM maps, without resale. This number reflects tickets unsold. Some shows like Uniondale may not be 100% sold out, but if they appeared to be over 95% sold I just said they were sold out.

Tulsa- 1,500 left
St. Louis- 2,300
San Jose 1- sold out
San Jose 2- 2,900
Vegas 1- sold out
Vegas 2- sold out
LA 1- sold out
LA 2- 1,800
Omaha- 2,100
Chicago 1- sold out
Chicago 2- 2,700
Nashville- sold out
Atlanta- sold out
Montreal 1- sold out
Montreal 2- sold out
Uniondale- sold out
Philadelphia 1- sold out
Philadelphia 2- sold out
DC 1- sold out
DC 2- 1,800
Boston 1- sold out
Boston 2- sold out
NYC 1- sold out
NYC 2- sold out
Newark- sold out
NYC 3- expensive tickets remain, but no overall map is available.
Uncasville- 900

The only shows that really run the risk of not selling out are San Jose 2, Chicago 2, St. Louis and Omaha. It just depends on how fancy they get with price drops and promotion.

So, have I lost it?

I thought GA was sort of off limits for Verified Fan Re-sale due to credit card entry??

Or, maybe it just never has happened that much and all GA holders keep 'em?

The Omaha show has multiple GA's available under fan re-sale... not sure if I should wait for a regular price drop or pounce.

I have no idea how resale GA's would work if it's credit card entry. I know my friend got screwed over last year with the Pittsburgh show because he was unable to attend, and ended up eating the cost because he wasn't able to sell them to anybody because nobody else could use them.

Resale GAs that are cc only mean you end up with someone's cancelled CC or a Visa/Amex gift card that a crafty scalper bought them on.

Chicago 1- sold out
Chicago 2- 2,700

Would it be embarrassing if the Smashing Pumpkins sell out 2 Chicago shows and U2 cannot?

Oh I know, SM ticket prices are cheaper, they aren't selling seats in a 360 arrangement, and they are the home town band.

Still . . . it's U2!

Philadelphia 2- sold out

How can you tell enough, there is no map and I am just now still pulling lower level pairs at the $41, $76, $171, and $325 price points. As a matter of fact, I bought myself a $76 Row 5 Edge side back of stage seat just over a week ago.

In the case with Chicago, they sold out 5 shows there in 2015, and then 2 stadium shows less than a year ago. It makes sense that the demand is weak. IMO, they should've stayed away from North America until 2019, let the demand rebuild a little. I'm pretty sure they'll do what is necessary to fill most of these venues, but hopefully this teaches them a lesson about pricing and market saturation. Meanwhile, other cities haven't had a show since Vertigo or 360 and aren't getting shit.

How can you tell enough, there is no map and I am just now still pulling lower level pairs at the $41, $76, $171, and $325 price points. As a matter of fact, I bought myself a $76 Row 5 Edge side back of stage seat just over a week ago.

I just counted for Philly #2. 548 unsold tickets. In 2005, U2 played to 19,953 in the same venue. Therefore, that means that about 2.7% of the tickets are still unsold... which is basically good enough to call a sellout. It certainly will be sold out by show day.

I just counted for Philly #2. 548 unsold tickets. In 2005, U2 played to 19,953 in the same venue. Therefore, that means that about 2.7% of the tickets are still unsold... which is basically good enough to call a sellout. It certainly will be sold out by show day.

Where is the map or list where you can count, I'm not seeing it anywhere on Wells Fargo's site?

So, have I lost it?

I thought GA was sort of off limits for Verified Fan Re-sale due to credit card entry??

Or, maybe it just never has happened that much and all GA holders keep 'em?

The Omaha show has multiple GA's available under fan re-sale... not sure if I should wait for a regular price drop or pounce.

GA are not credit card entry this time around, they used verified fan as their (ineffective) means of scalper thwarting instead. I have hard regular stock GA tickets on my refrigerator for June.

Just did a very rough figure based on TM maps, without resale. This number reflects tickets unsold. Some shows like Uniondale may not be 100% sold out, but if they appeared to be over 95% sold I just said they were sold out.

Tulsa- 1,500 left
St. Louis- 2,300
San Jose 1- sold out
San Jose 2- 2,900
Vegas 1- sold out
Vegas 2- sold out
LA 1- sold out
LA 2- 1,800
Omaha- 2,100
Chicago 1- sold out
Chicago 2- 2,700
Nashville- sold out
Atlanta- sold out
Montreal 1- sold out
Montreal 2- sold out
Uniondale- sold out
Philadelphia 1- sold out
Philadelphia 2- sold out
DC 1- sold out
DC 2- 1,800
Boston 1- sold out
Boston 2- sold out
NYC 1- sold out
NYC 2- sold out
Newark- sold out
Uncasville- 900

The only shows that really run the risk of not selling out are San Jose 2, Chicago 2, St. Louis and Omaha. It just depends on how fancy they get with price drops and promotion.
The San Jose shows are where you really see the effects of Live Nation in full swing.

It would make much more sense to play at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, a quick 20 minute BART ride from the embarcadero vs 90 minutes by mass transit to SAP.

But Oracle is managed by AEG, LiveNation's #1 competitor.

So they play in San Jose instead and can't sell out the 2nd show.

I got tickets that are behind the stage... :angry: I wanted GA though my parents won't let me.

How old are you?

Honestly, a U2 floor crowd is a pretty tame affair, mostly comprised of people ranging from 30-55. Everybody typically looks out for each other's well being. As long as my kids were tall enough to see (they won't be for about 10 years) I would be completely at ease with them being on the floor for U2.

However, in Chicago 2015 there was one asshole who was trying to pick a fight with a woman because she got in his space. Security quickly took care of him.

Pittsburgh 2011, had a young teenage girl that was both high and drunk continually rubbing herself all over me and my friend, similar to how a cat does. I was 29 and had a pregnant wife at home, and no interest in this girl. Eventually her Mom (also drunk and high) told her to stop, she was making us uncomfortable. Said girl ended up randomly making out with some guy that was easily 20 years older than her. So you still get some crazy folks, but nothing too bad.

Tulsa- 1,500 left
St. Louis- 2,300
San Jose 1- sold out
San Jose 2- 2,900
Vegas 1- sold out
Vegas 2- sold out
LA 1- sold out
LA 2- 1,800
Omaha- 2,100
Chicago 1- sold out
Chicago 2- 2,700
Nashville- sold out
Atlanta- sold out
Montreal 1- sold out
Montreal 2- sold out
Uniondale- sold out
Philadelphia 1- sold out
Philadelphia 2- sold out
DC 1- sold out
DC 2- 1,800
Boston 1- sold out
Boston 2- sold out
NYC 1- sold out
NYC 2- sold out
Newark- sold out
Uncasville- 900

there are still a good number of tickets for Boston 2, mostly crappy high-priced seats and the 'fancy packages'..

There were people discussing doing coke at JT Arlington. Maybe it was to make the lumineers go faster.

On the plus side, the standing power nap was good practice for whatever speech leads into American Soul.

How old are you?

Honestly, a U2 floor crowd is a pretty tame affair, mostly comprised of people ranging from 30-55. Everybody typically looks out for each other's well being. As long as my kids were tall enough to see (they won't be for about 10 years) I would be completely at ease with them being on the floor for U2.

However, in Chicago 2015 there was one asshole who was trying to pick a fight with a woman because she got in his space. Security quickly took care of him.

Pittsburgh 2011, had a young teenage girl that was both high and drunk continually rubbing herself all over me and my friend, similar to how a cat does. I was 29 and had a pregnant wife at home, and no interest in this girl. Eventually her Mom (also drunk and high) told her to stop, she was making us uncomfortable. Said girl ended up randomly making out with some guy that was easily 20 years older than her. So you still get some crazy folks, but nothing too bad.
Weren't you supposed to be presenting arguments for him to use on his parents to let him do GA?

You failed, sir.

. . . hopefully this teaches them a lesson about pricing and market saturation.

Hard to say. That is, hard to say if they need the lesson because I don't see U2 touring again for at least 5 years. Not sure why, but I just don't feel it.

Depending on what shape the band is in they may not tour again. You never know. Everyone has a unique set of genes and some people fair better than others in old age.

I think they had to tour immediately this year to promote the album. One might argue that they should have finished the SOI/SOE album release and tour schedule and then come back with a JT tour.

Hard to say. That is, hard to say if they need the lesson because I don't see U2 touring again for at least 5 years. Not sure why, but I just don't feel it.

Plus, what kind of lesson would U2 & LiveNation need? I think the sales for this tour are likely what they were aiming for. Start with high prices to maximize revenue. Should some seats not sell out, lower the price on them until sold out. But then you already have the sales of the high-priced seats.
No, this does not result in an instant sell-out of the concert. But it does maximize profits.

Plus, what kind of lesson would U2 & LiveNation need? I think the sales for this tour are likely what they were aiming for. Start with high prices to maximize revenue. Should some seats not sell out, lower the price on them until sold out. But then you already have the sales of the high-priced seats.
No, this does not result in an instant sell-out of the concert. But it does maximize profits.
This has been very hard for people to understand.

The ticketing world is much much different in the US than in Europe. LiveNation controls every aspect of everything they do. They manage the band, they pick the dates, they set the prices, they sell the tickets (they own Ticketmaster), and in many cases, they manage the venue.

They also put the money up front for the tour, so it is in their total interest to maximize profits anyway possible.

This is more important to LiveNation than having an instant sell out. Quick sell outs are gravy.

They also put the money up front for the tour, so it is in their total interest to maximize profits anyway possible.

That is my understanding of how this works. The bands are paid up front by the promoter, then it's up to the promoter to see if they can turn a profit off of the act.

I'm sure there are variations on this theme, but it's almost analogous to betting on a race. You put the money up front and hope to turn it into more money when the whole thing's over.

That is my understanding of how this works. The bands are paid up front by the promoter, then it's up to the promoter to see if they can turn a profit off of the act.

I'm sure there are variations on this theme, but it's almost analogous to betting on a race. You put the money up front and hope to turn it into more money when the whole thing's over.
The band gets a piece of the gate, but LiveNation fronts the money to put the tour on - the stage, the crew, booking the arenas, etc. And with a band like U2, that upfront money is a pretty penny.

I agree with this. Bono talked about how promoting the album and tour seemed like more work than it used to be. I could definitely see this being it for a good while.

I think that U2/LN are going to see an opportunity for a AB 30/ ZOO TV 2.0 tour in 2021. That will generate more revenue than if U2 released another album and toured it in 2021-2022.

That's my long term prediction, anyway. 2017 proved, in a big way, that nostalgia sells. I don't think an AB/Zoo 30 Tour would have as much drawing power as the Joshua Tree had, but they could still definitely make that the basis for their next massive stadium tour. Places like Detroit, Minneapolis, Houston, etc will be ready for a return in 2021.

I think that U2/LN are going to see an opportunity for a AB 30/ ZOO TV 2.0 tour in 2021. That will generate more revenue than if U2 released another album and toured it in 2021-2022.

That's my long term prediction, anyway. 2017 proved, in a big way, that nostalgia sells. I don't think an AB/Zoo 30 Tour would have as much drawing power as the Joshua Tree had, but they could still definitely make that the basis for their next massive stadium tour. Places like Detroit, Minneapolis, Houston, etc will be ready for a return in 2021.

uh, no. the world is neither ready for, nor desiring of, Zoo TV part II.

Not to mention how godawful it would be to witness Bono try to pull it off.

uh, no. the world is neither ready for, nor desiring of, Zoo TV part II.

Not to mention how godawful it would be to witness Bono try to pull it off.

I agree with everything you have said. My fear is that the powers that be (U2 and LN, jointly) will see an opportunity to make money and take it. I really would prefer that the band not do this. I'd like them to just work on a new album for a couple years, release it in late 2021 (4 years since SOE could be done), and then tour the world again in 2022-2023, in the more relaxed fashion that they've been doing. They need to be willing to do a combination of arenas and stadiums, which they've always been pretty rigid on.

Back
Top Bottom