GA "Line" Shenanigans Part 2: You Just Made The List!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started it last night in Zagreb. I'm travelling across Europe by train so if you can find me you can get your name on the list. I plan to arrive at Twickers at 7pm and anybody who is already on the rail ahead of people on my queue will be manhandled out of the way.

Shit, Twickers? Don't forget to wear a blazer!

Us English folk don't queue, we just turn up pissed 30 minutes before the gates open and have a royal rumble to see who gets the rail spots :)

Soo... I understand the following happened in Cleveland.
The first 'new' people started to arrive from about 3:30 AM onwards, at the gate for GA/wristbanding. This grew to about 20-30 people around 5:30 when the line leaders from the check-in line came over and informed them about that one. Result: some chaos and drama. In the end, the two lines were zipped together (#1 from check in, #1 from new, #2 check in, #2 new, etc.).
So, why was the line with 'new' people only approached around 5:30, when it had grown so much and not when there were only 2 or 3 people? Turns out those line leaders (or whoever it were who were doing that shift) had fallen asleep in their car. Well, you snooze, you lose.

Anyway, around 8:00 AM everybody got wristbanded (in the new order) and were told to come back at 14:00. Time for everyone to catch some sleep. :)

Normally I'd call fair game to ppl who showed up at the venue on show day before the list ppl, and claimed their spot at the front of the line since they were THERE first and prepared to stay line until the venue either wristbands or lets you enter the venue. The problem with the folks who did this in Cleveland was that they came the day before, got numbers & their names added to the list, came back for check-ins and then decided to intentionally screw everyone by gambling that the venue security wouldn't actually stop them from starting a line at gates at the wee hours in the morning.

Don't participate in the list if you plan to start your own physical GA line; you lose all integrity in my mind. And it just further demonstrates that GA line queuing has become a competitive win-at-all-costs fight. Not very sportsman like, imo.

Us English folk don't queue, we just turn up pissed 30 minutes before the gates open and have a royal rumble to see who gets the rail spots :)

Sigh. I remember the days when it was our national sport.

I'll be there first thing in the morning and woe betide anyone who tries to push in with any sort of numbering who hasn't been there all day. They will get a hard glare from me.

Tbh though I wish Twickenham would give out some sort of guidance as to what they want us to do. So far they haven't anything other than come early due to traffic and security.

I started it last night in Zagreb. I'm travelling across Europe by train so if you can find me you can get your name on the list. I plan to arrive at Twickers at 7pm and anybody who is already on the rail ahead of people on my queue will be manhandled out of the way.

yeah that about sums it up!

these people are a disgrace - can't believe U2 security are supposedly enabling them? :down:

same in France - basically you turn up whenever, and just bank on your gate getting opened first while fans at the other gates cause merry hell, crying and wailing and squishing each other, and then you sprint like hell to the front :D

The most English post ever?

I'm sure I could get more English after I've had a nice cup of tea.

Has anyone heard anything about the GA queue starting at Twickenham yet? I'm hoping it will all be very British and everyone will just get there Saturday morning and queue.

I'm sure I could get more English after I've had a nice cup of tea.

Has anyone heard anything about the GA queue starting at Twickenham yet? I'm hoping it will all be very British and everyone will just get there Saturday morning and queue.

The thought of sitting in a deck chair for a couple days in the 30 degree heat ( yes it's 30 here and yes we can't handle it and we're used to the rain) doesn't sound very attractive for me.

I reckon the line will start early on the Saturday morning.

I haven't heard anything about a queue yet, so hopefully one hasn't started yet. It seems they really are more sensible when it comes to starting queues. I won't be surprised if one will start tomorrow (Friday) somewhere during the day (based on my experience on past tours and in other northern-European countries). But I'd guess that will also be a proper queue and none of this check-in-and-bugger-off nonsense.

There will be a lot of very non British people starting the line some of these days. But all is quiet now.

I haven't heard anything about a queue yet, so hopefully one hasn't started yet. It seems they really are more sensible when it comes to starting queues. I won't be surprised if one will start tomorrow (Friday) somewhere during the day (based on my experience on past tours and in other northern-European countries). But I'd guess that will also be a proper queue and none of this check-in-and-bugger-off nonsense.

Here's hoping. :up:

I don't know if anyone is a member of the GA information group on Facebook, but I made a post suggesting improvements that could be made to make GA lines better and more fair. I suggested 3 changes:

1. Having the check-in spots as close to the gate as possible and having signs or people working to direct people to the check-in spot. That way anyone who walks around the stadium or near the GA gate would see the check-in spot. No more of this Dunkin' Donuts a mile from the stadium check-in nonsense.

2. Being transparent with the lists. Posting photos of the list with the arrival times that the people got there.

3. Increasing the amount of check-ins from 2 to 3 a day to make it more difficult to line up and to make it closer to an actual line.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I was reluctant to post in this thread due to the sheer vitriol directed against friends of mine, but it's worth hearing from people who have issues with the current system. The main issues that I'm concerned with are addressed by my suggestions, but if anyone has any other ideas, post them. While I wish that stadiums would allow actual queueing the day before shows, it simply isn't going to happen. My goal is to make the check-in system as close to an actual line as possible and to make it more transparent and fair.

I don't know if anyone is a member of the GA information group on Facebook, but I made a post suggesting improvements that could be made to make GA lines better and more fair. I suggested 3 changes:

1. Having the check-in spots as close to the gate as possible and having signs or people working to direct people to the check-in spot. That way anyone who walks around the stadium or near the GA gate would see the check-in spot. No more of this Dunkin' Donuts a mile from the stadium check-in nonsense.

2. Being transparent with the lists. Posting photos of the list with the arrival times that the people got there.

3. Increasing the amount of check-ins from 2 to 3 a day to make it more difficult to line up and to make it closer to an actual line.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I was reluctant to post in this thread due to the sheer vitriol directed against friends of mine, but it's worth hearing from people who have issues with the current system. The main issues that I'm concerned with are addressed by my suggestions, but if anyone has any other ideas, post them. While I wish that stadiums would allow actual queueing the day before shows, it simply isn't going to happen. My goal is to make the check-in system as close to an actual line as possible and to make it more transparent and fair.
I like a lot of your suggestions...

One issue of course is that venues do not want all you unwashed hippie dippie U2 fans congregating around their facility any longer than needs be, and the certainly do not want to commit staff to it for multiple days. There's kinda a lot going on at most of these places, and most would prefer that you just show up on the day of and not be a dick about it.

Here's an idea. If you want to be first, you need to sign up to do a service event for the local community a couple of days before. Those who participate are given random wristbands and are first in line. Everyone else can show the day of, and/or dispose of their lists where the sun don't shine.

The main stage rail is too close and the stage too high to make it worth the multi-day queue. I never bothered with the tree stage for the 4-5 songs they played on it. Walking in at doors gets you in a great spot close to the band (maybe 10 deep) with enough distance to take in most of the screen.

These pix were taken from the spot I got walking in an hour after doors at 2 shows.

IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

Last edited:
"GA Information" is good if you're trying to learn more about Georgia though

Back
Top Bottom