Forget the set list. Do we have a sound problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Northside

The Fly
I was at two Madison Square Garden shows in 2015 and the sound was unambiguously loud and clear. I don't remember having any complaints about it; I loved the band's new speaker setup.

At the Vegas shows last weekend, the sound wasn't nearly as loud, and it never felt "immersive" like on the I&E tour. Also, Bono's low register seemed muffled/lost in the mix. I kept waiting for Joe O to get everything dialed in better.

I've watched a few YouTube clips from other venues and I'm worried this wasn't a fluke. I'll find out for sure at the Chicago shows next week, but I'm wondering if anyone else has impressions of the sound quality, yet.

Was at the STL show 2 weeks ago in upper deck & the Chicago shows in 2015 in GA & upper deck and both my wife and I noticed the sound has been much louder than pre-2015. JT30 wasn’t as bad cus being in larger and outdoor football stadiums. I might have more ringing than the average person but I thought STL was impossible without earplugs & for the first time in 8 years of concerts together my wife used them in STL which to me said something. We’re in our mid-30s if that means anything. I’ve gotten away without them for non-U2 shows recently.

I use Etymotics which cancel out a ton of the echo caused by the wall of noise indoors & it helps a ton. I can hear percussion a lot better with Etymotics. I recommend them to anyone who suffers the day after a show from hearing loss but just want a clearer sounding show. Volume only comes down a tad for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I thought the sound at the St. Louis show was really loud, louder than I remember any show being in 2015.

Was at the STL show 2 weeks ago in upper deck & the Chicago shows in 2015 in GA & upper deck and both my wife and I noticed the sound has been much louder than pre-2015. JT30 wasn’t as bad cus being in larger and outdoor football stadiums. I might have more ringing than the average person but I thought STL was impossible without earplugs & for the first time in 8 years of concerts together my wife used them in STL which to me said something. We’re in our mid-30s if that means anything. I’ve gotten away without them for non-U2 shows recently.

I use Etymotics which cancel out a ton of the echo caused by the wall of noise indoors & it helps a ton. I can hear percussion a lot better with Etymotics. I recommend them to anyone who suffers the day after a show from hearing loss but just want a clearer sounding show. Volume only comes down a tad for obvious reasons.

Here’s another vote for the Etymotics. Started wearing them on Vertigo, and they have greatly improved my concert experience. I haven’t suffered from next-day ringing since. And yes, I+e in 2015 was considerably louder than all their previous tours.

I thought the sound on the floor at the two LA Forum shows I caught in 2015 were ear-piercingly loud. By comparison, tonights sound at the 2nd LA Forum show was fine from a volume standpoint but the bass, especially drums were a little boomy.

No idea if it was just the Coliseum or what (we’ll see soon) but the sound was nowhere near as loud or clear as the 6-7 Innocence shows I attended. My girlfriend said the same.

The intro during UTEOTW sounded really garbled and muddy at Montreal 1. I was wearing ear plugs, but I always wear ear plugs and never have that issue. The song sounded clearer as it progressed, so it could have just been a temporary sound issue. Other than that, nothing sticks out for me so far in terms of poor sound quality.

No idea if it was just the Coliseum or what (we’ll see soon) but the sound was nowhere near as loud or clear as the 6-7 Innocence shows I attended. My girlfriend said the same.

odd, i had no issue with the sound at the coliseum.

The intro during UTEOTW sounded really garbled and muddy at Montreal 1. I was wearing ear plugs, but I always wear ear plugs and never have that issue. The song sounded clearer as it progressed, so it could have just been a temporary sound issue. Other than that, nothing sticks out for me so far in terms of poor sound quality.

I noticed the exact same thing and thought it was a guitar issue....seemed like Edge wasn’t there for the first half of the song.

Other than that, sound seemed good to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom