Forget the set list. Do we have a sound problem? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Forget the set list. Do we have a sound problem?

I was at two Madison Square Garden shows in 2015 and the sound was unambiguously loud and clear. I don't remember having any complaints about it; I loved the band's new speaker setup.

At the Vegas shows last weekend, the sound wasn't nearly as loud, and it never felt "immersive" like on the I&E tour. Also, Bono's low register seemed muffled/lost in the mix. I kept waiting for Joe O to get everything dialed in better.

I've watched a few YouTube clips from other venues and I'm worried this wasn't a fluke. I'll find out for sure at the Chicago shows next week, but I'm wondering if anyone else has impressions of the sound quality, yet.

Northside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:55 PM
The Forum sounded the same to me last night as last time.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Refugee

I was in GA last night and the sound was great. No complaints.
superchuk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Refugee

Was at the STL show 2 weeks ago in upper deck & the Chicago shows in 2015 in GA & upper deck and both my wife and I noticed the sound has been much louder than pre-2015. JT30 wasn’t as bad cus being in larger and outdoor football stadiums. I might have more ringing than the average person but I thought STL was impossible without earplugs & for the first time in 8 years of concerts together my wife used them in STL which to me said something. We’re in our mid-30s if that means anything. I’ve gotten away without them for non-U2 shows recently.

I use Etymotics which cancel out a ton of the echo caused by the wall of noise indoors & it helps a ton. I can hear percussion a lot better with Etymotics. I recommend them to anyone who suffers the day after a show from hearing loss but just want a clearer sounding show. Volume only comes down a tad for obvious reasons.
mofo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I thought the sound at the St. Louis show was really loud, louder than I remember any show being in 2015.
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Refugee

SJ1 was very loud and very muffled, at least from where I was on the floor. Night 2 was much better, but I was closer to the e-stage.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
War Child

Forget the set list. Do we have a sound problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo82 View Post
Was at the STL show 2 weeks ago in upper deck & the Chicago shows in 2015 in GA & upper deck and both my wife and I noticed the sound has been much louder than pre-2015. JT30 wasn’t as bad cus being in larger and outdoor football stadiums. I might have more ringing than the average person but I thought STL was impossible without earplugs & for the first time in 8 years of concerts together my wife used them in STL which to me said something. We’re in our mid-30s if that means anything. I’ve gotten away without them for non-U2 shows recently.

I use Etymotics which cancel out a ton of the echo caused by the wall of noise indoors & it helps a ton. I can hear percussion a lot better with Etymotics. I recommend them to anyone who suffers the day after a show from hearing loss but just want a clearer sounding show. Volume only comes down a tad for obvious reasons.

Here’s another vote for the Etymotics. Started wearing them on Vertigo, and they have greatly improved my concert experience. I haven’t suffered from next-day ringing since. And yes, I+e in 2015 was considerably louder than all their previous tours.
hibricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #8
War Child

I thought the sound on the floor at the two LA Forum shows I caught in 2015 were ear-piercingly loud. By comparison, tonights sound at the 2nd LA Forum show was fine from a volume standpoint but the bass, especially drums were a little boomy.
Partyslammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
The Fly

I thought the sound was great at last night's Chicago show. Crisis averted.
Northside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
The Fly

No idea if it was just the Coliseum or what (we’ll see soon) but the sound was nowhere near as loud or clear as the 6-7 Innocence shows I attended. My girlfriend said the same.
jjflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

The intro during UTEOTW sounded really garbled and muddy at Montreal 1. I was wearing ear plugs, but I always wear ear plugs and never have that issue. The song sounded clearer as it progressed, so it could have just been a temporary sound issue. Other than that, nothing sticks out for me so far in terms of poor sound quality.
daygloeyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjflyer View Post
No idea if it was just the Coliseum or what (we’ll see soon) but the sound was nowhere near as loud or clear as the 6-7 Innocence shows I attended. My girlfriend said the same.
odd, i had no issue with the sound at the coliseum.
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygloeyes2 View Post
The intro during UTEOTW sounded really garbled and muddy at Montreal 1. I was wearing ear plugs, but I always wear ear plugs and never have that issue. The song sounded clearer as it progressed, so it could have just been a temporary sound issue. Other than that, nothing sticks out for me so far in terms of poor sound quality.

I noticed the exact same thing and thought it was a guitar issue....seemed like Edge wasn’t there for the first half of the song.

Other than that, sound seemed good to me.

pop_mofo is offline   Reply With Quote