eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour predictions setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lights of home would be my pick to open the show.Great riff for the opening of the song and a catchy chorus at the end of the song to get crowd into hit.The idea of starting with LIAWHL isn't a bad choice,but the danger of deflating the excitement out of the audience is pretty high.You want to keep the momemtum of the energy after the arrival of the band on stage.Not sure the U2 crowd would be open for that kind of a start for the show.

"Love is bigger than anything in it's way" should be a lock to close the gig.

You guys think the show will differ from the I/E Tour?

I'm on the fence on going. Vegas is the easiest show(s) for me to fly out too but I go back to Vegas 2 weeks later for a bday party.

I really don't want to sit thru the same set (2nd half of show in IE Tour). But with my luck they play some Pop tunes finally this tour...

I was at the show where Magnificent opened, worked much better than Breathe.

Well, I guess don't knock it til you've tried it!

I was at the 1 Elevation show that was opened by BD rather than Elevation (which opened the encore), and it did not work. Hence why they abandoned the idea immediately after. It was also the only Elevation show to not feature BTBS. It remains my least favorite U2 show to this day... something was just off that night at Notre Dame. The venue felt like a high school gymnasium.

You guys think the show will differ from the I/E Tour?

I'm on the fence on going. Vegas is the easiest show(s) for me to fly out too but I go back to Vegas 2 weeks later for a bday party.

I really don't want to sit thru the same set (2nd half of show in IE Tour). But with my luck they play some Pop tunes finally this tour...

I may be naive, but I expect the setlist to be quite different from i+e. That show featured six i+e songs as fixtures, and I'd be surprised if more than one of them appears this time around (maybe EBW). And though the stage will be the same (with similar choreography), I think all the visuals will be new.

Now that said, will they still play the warhorses (Streets, WOWY, BD, COBL, One)? Of course they will, because it's a U2 show, after all.... which also probably means no Pop tunes. Sorry.

I have a feeling they might do something that plays around with the pieces of music that overlap across both albums. Something like Song for Someone transitioning into 13. Or something with Iris and Lights of Home.

The Miracle was absolute shit as an opener. Not big on the song in general, but I would go as far to say that was the worst U2 concert opener ever (maybe that 1 time they opened with Magnificent was worse). Best Thing would be a better opener, and it would get it out of the way early!

I was at the show where Magnificent opened, worked much better than Breathe.

Foxboro 2! They were out for something that night.

I saw Breathe open Foxboro 1 and Magnificent open Foxboro 2. I agree with Hewson & DeVaul. Magnificent worked MUCH better than Breathe (the worst opener I've seen) and they were on FIRE that 2nd night in Foxboro. They'd just been given a pretty undeserved, sloppy and much talked about poor review of night 1 from the Boston Herald and they were out to silence the critics. They delivered in a big way. Much more energy, off the top of my head, Stay and a blistering version of Until the end of the world (with a girl picking Bono up and carrying him) were the highlights.

I wasn't a fan of 2009 360 at all- mostly due to lack of rockers and the opening sequence. Breathe-NLOTH-GOYB-Magnificent was opening with 4 unknown, not so great live songs in stadiums filled with casuals. You could feel the energy leaving the crowd.

Going on what I've witnessed first hand......

I saw the Miracle open 5 times. While COBL, Sunday bloody sunday and especially Real thing blew it out of the water, I thought it worked fine. I liked Bono's entrance and the drum roll at the beginning. It was always played with enough energy. Though it wasn't the best opener, it was, to me, part of a far better opening sequence than anything on 360 save for the 2011 shows. Miracle-Out of control (Gloria, Electric co), Vertigo, I Will follow was always a phenomenal, high energy start that had something for fans of every era.

360 Leg 1, I saw long time fans- mostly 80s fans- leaving for the beer line or the bathroom audibly complaining after the opening sequence.

"Where the hell is anything we know?"

I think with the ticket prices and the fact that 3 albums in a row have failed to produce a hit, you're going to see a declining percentage of people in attendance for new material of any kind. I hope the band factors that in and keeps the older material in the rotation. Make the show longer if you have to. Like the European leg of I&E. I know it was the JT tour, a clear nostalgia tour, but I remember the guy in front of me in San Diego turning around during the acoustic Best thing performance and saying "what the hell is this song?"

SOE is obviously making more of a splash than NLOTH or SOI in the mainstream, but I hope the band won't be going in to this tour with any delusions that people know and/or paid $300+ for these songs to replace hits in a 20 song show. In addition to hits in a 26 song show, fine. Of course, it's the "experience tour."

Last edited:
I'll take a crack at the full set.

A lot of people are suggesting Love is all we have left over the PA into Lights of home. As a narrative, it works and Bono seems to be playing up this pair of songs as a central if not the central part of the SOE story. Lights of home would work as an opener.

1) Lights of home
2)Blackout
3)Vertigo
4)I will follow
5)Best thing
6)Get out of your own way
7)American soul
8)Sunday bloody sunday
9)Red flag day
10)Summer of love
11)Pride
12)All I want is you

Intermission

13)Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
14)Desire
15)Showman
E stage rotation- could be anything, a couple suggestions.
16)Two hearts beat as one
17)Stay
18)Every breaking wave
19)Little things
20)Where the streets have no name
21)With or without you
...................ENCORE...........................................
22)City of blinding lights
23)Beautiful day
24)One
25)Love is bigger
26)Kite

-Most warhorses need to be covered, and after the JT tour, AB needs a rarity to become a regular, so we'll need rotation even off the E stage.

8) SBS/Bullet
11)Pride/NYD
12)All I want/Bad
13)Hold me, thrill me/Until the end
14)Desire/Who's gonna ride...
26)Kite/Bad & 40

-E Stage can obviously be anything, I'd like to see In God's country and Trip through your wires get a handful of plays each. Others that are realistic and I'd like to see: Mysterious ways, Blow your house down, Trying to throw your arms, Magnificent, California, Crystal ballroom, Party girl, Gloria and I think you could throw Pop a bone and do Staring at the sun out there. People get ready would be a good choice for a cover with a fan playing guitar. Of course, we know Elevation will show up and likely Ordinary love. Don't need either, but it is what it is.

-You need a high energy opening that draws in the crowd, keeps their attention and balances eras as best as possible.

-I'm heavy on the hits but I really don't see how you cut too many of them out. $300 for a lot of tickets and as disappointing as it is, nothing even coming close to BD or Vertigo level hits on the last 3 albums, SOE included. They obviously love SOE and seem to believe in it more than they did SOI. So I still gave it 10 songs of the 26 total.

Take a way point is I don't see them satisfying themselves (SOE heavy) and most in attendance without averaging 26 songs like they did on leg 2 of Innocence.

Last edited:
Well, I guess don't knock it til you've tried it!

I was at the 1 Elevation show that was opened by BD rather than Elevation (which opened the encore), and it did not work. Hence why they abandoned the idea immediately after. It was also the only Elevation show to not feature BTBS. It remains my least favorite U2 show to this day... something was just off that night at Notre Dame. The venue felt like a high school gymnasium.

I went to the Notre Dame Elevation show when they did this. I agree it didn’t work.

I went to the Notre Dame Elevation show when they did this. I agree it didn’t work.

Hey, a Cincy resident! I'm about an hour north of you! Too bad we'll never get U2 to come to us!! I was astounded that they came to Cleveland, Indy and Louisville, last year!

Love is Bigger will close the show, and the 2:50 - 3:00 mark of that song is when Bono will say his last "Thanks for coming out!" type line.

Then sing the rest of it, including an "All you need is love" snippet.

This is quite unlikely probably, but one which I think would be both effective and interesting:

Love is All We Have Left
Lights of Home
You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out of Your Own Way
American Soul
--
Stuck in a Moment (full band)
Every Breaking Wave (full band)
New Year's Day
Pride
All I Want Is You
---
in the screen:
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
The Blackout
---
e stage:
The Showman
Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
Staring at the Sun
---
main stage:
Please
Bullet the Blue Sky
Where the Streets Have No Name
The Little Things That Give You Away
----
Encore:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Love is Bigger than Anything in it's Way

If they play beautiful day elevation and vertigo one after another again this forum will be up in arms [emoji23]

I thought I'd share three examples that would be cool but perhaps unlikely...

Intro: God Part II (cover by December) into You're The Best Thing About Me

As the whole album is about light and darkness, the best and the worst, the human and the inhuman, I thought this would be a cool way to kick things off this time around.

Intermission: The Blackout (Jacknife Lee Remix) --> MOFO

Informed by the notes at the end of the remix, I had the idea to let U2 end the first act with The Blackout, during the intermission have the remix on, echoing the song as an extended pause and then let it ring out and bleed into MOFO.

And lastly, as suggested by others, I had the same idea so hopefully the band will take notice:

Love Is All We Have Left --> Where The Streets Have No Name

This one was obviously inspired by the common organ sound and the theme of love.

Last edited:
I actually think SBS & BTBS may get a rest this tour,
I know that would be a major show but I think this might be the one that they get benched....

I actually think SBS & BTBS may get a rest this tour,
I know that would be a major show but I think this might be the one that they get benched....

Well, they did such a good job with BTBS on their Tonight Show appearance, there's a reasonably good chance it will stay.

SBS is a little harder to say one way or the other.

Well, they did such a good job with BTBS on their Tonight Show appearance, there's a reasonably good chance it will stay.

SBS is a little harder to say one way or the other.

SBS was so literally presented as an Innocence track in 2015, I'm having a hard time seeing its place in the Experience show. And it opened every JT30 show, so it's not like it's been missing and due for a return....

Lights of home would be my pick to open the show.Great riff for the opening of the song and a catchy chorus at the end of the song to get crowd into hit.The idea of starting with LIAWHL isn't a bad choice,but the danger of deflating the excitement out of the audience is pretty high.You want to keep the momemtum of the energy after the arrival of the band on stage.Not sure the U2 crowd would be open for that kind of a start for the show.

"Love is bigger than anything in it's way" should be a lock to close the gig.

LOH would be a terrible opener. It's an awkward, plodding song that has no sustained energy as an opener. It would be even worse that the Miracle, which started well for about 60 seconds before landing like a lead balloon.

I am betting LOH doesnt even make the setlist.

My bet is they will open with LIAWHL, then immediately into the Blackout.

LOH would be a terrible opener.

Yeah, I can't see LOH opening at all.

I'd say it's a toss up between Blackout and AS.

AS opening followed by GOOYOW would work.

I'm thinking that LIAWHL will be played with the lights down, then they'll launch into one of the other two.

LOH would be a terrible opener. It's an awkward, plodding song that has no sustained energy as an opener. It would be even worse that the Miracle, which started well for about 60 seconds before landing like a lead balloon.

I am betting LOH doesnt even make the setlist.

I’ve read worse opinions, maybe once or twice in here, but I have read worse. So you have that going for you [emoji106]

Am i crazy to think the setlist will be very similar to that of I+E? But instead of the SOI songs we get SOE songs and rest of the setlist remains kinda the same.

I'm all for U2 being more spontaneous in there setlists but they will never be the jukebox that is Springsteen. Would be great if they were. But i am always happy to get the chance to see em.

Am i crazy to think the setlist will be very similar to that of I+E? But instead of the SOI songs we get SOE songs and rest of the setlist remains kinda the same.

I'm all for U2 being more spontaneous in there setlists but they will never be the jukebox that is Springsteen. Would be great if they were. But i am always happy to get the chance to see em.

I would be very surprised if the list of songs even resembles i+e. Now maybe the overall setlist structure would be similar, but out of 25 songs, I don't expect more than 8 to be repeats.

Re Springsteen, I haven't seen him live in 30 years, but i'm guessing his tour production is pretty simple compared to the synchronized multi-media extravaganza that U2 has become. So he can juggle the setlist every night if he wants, without worrying about song-specific video support, staging choreography, elaborate lighting cues, etc.

And let's be honest, many of U2's songs have NEVER been played in their entirety EVER, not even in the recording studio. Their Frankenstein method of songwriting/recording means they often have to learn (or RElearn) how to play each song from beginning to end in order to perform it. Not exactly a recipe for spontaneity.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if the list of songs even resembles i+e. Now maybe the overall setlist structure would be similar, but out of 25 songs, I don't expect more than 8 to be repeats.

Re Springsteen, I haven't seen him live in 30 years, but i'm guessing his tour production is pretty simple compared to the synchronized multi-media extravaganza that U2 has become. So he can juggle the setlist every night if he wants, without worrying about song-specific video support, staging choreography, elaborate lighting cues, etc.

And let's be honest, many of U2's songs have NEVER been played in their entirety EVER, not even in the recording studio. Their Frankenstein method of songwriting/recording means they often have to learn (or RElearn) how to play each song from beginning to end in order to perform it. Not exactly a recipe for spontaneity.

You are correct about that, Springsteen has a quite basic stage and video setup. It is the formulaic video backdrop you see at basically every concert / festival and with the stage that looks like a black tarp over it.

http://kattasbetraktelser.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160625_214250.jpg

You are correct about that, Springsteen has a quite basic stage and video setup. It is the formulaic video backdrop you see at basically every concert / festival and with the stage that looks like a black tarp over it.

http://kattasbetraktelser.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160625_214250.jpg

Right. I know Bruce is a charismatic performer and his shows are incredible - but if you told me that photo was twenty years old, I'd believe it. Nothing in the staging that looks new or groundbreaking. U2 raises the bar every single tour.

...compared to the synchronized multi-media extravaganza that U2 has become...

Has been since... War? I enjoyed setlist parties as much as the next guy, but expecting U2 to shuffle the setlist markedly night to night misunderstands the kinds of shows U2 do. They're not some friends jamming through some songs they all happen to know.

So I guess I have to be the Bruce guy here...

U2 could rotate the setlist more. They've opened the last two tours with 4 straight songs that don't use any visuals whatsoever. These songs stayed static. Yes, i/e had a rotating slot, which rotated the same 3 songs.

The post intermission set on i/e was light on visuals, save for a couple of songs. Again, minimal rotation.

The post JT set didn't exactly have ground breaking visuals, either. Once again, very minimal rotation of songs.

And let's not talk about Vertigo and Elevation.

The idea that the multimedia part of their show prohibits them from doing more rotating of their setlist is, mostly, bullshit.

They don't want to, or they don't feel confident enough in their ability to do so.

As for Bruce having a minimal stage set?

Yea. True. He's able to command an audience without any bells and whistles. His energy and craftsmanship is otherworldly. He can keep an audience engaged for 4 hours straight.

But he's a freak. There are very few who can work what he can.

I love U2's live sets. I love that they break new ground with their use of technology. I loved the theatrics of i/e.

Would I trade all of it for a tour where I had no clue what was going to be played with I walked in the door?

Absolutely.

But that's never happening. We know it's never happening. But there are still plenty of opportunities within the crazy multimedia clusterfuckaroo to mix things up, and U2 almost always pass on those opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom